How to stay 3 months on a tourist card?

M

martin

Hi, I heard it is possible to stay 2 months on a tourist card (as a European citizen). What is the best way to stay 3 months? Simply overstay and pay a fine when leaving? Or formally extend the tourist card?

Thanks

Martin

L

Lisa

Personally I've overstayed and know of plenty of people who have done so without problems, or any questions appart from "you must love this island?" However I thought you were allowed to stay 3 months, I'm possibly wrong.
Just paying a fine when leaving will probably work. Not sure, though, since this was only my personal experience.
Lisa

E

ECH, M.D.

Tourist cards are valid for 90 days. Over staying can get expensive if they want to put the screws to you.
The simplest way is to get a multiple entry 10 year tourist VISA and you can come and go and stay as long as you like. Most places (Embassies) the VISA is free or for a nominal charge.

C

Capt. Rob

I have stayed here for 8 months at a time no one cares you are spending money in there country. One time in the last 12 years I had to pay a 100 pesos fine = to 6.00 U.S. dollars. However ECH'S idea is well worth checking into and I will do so myself next week. Also on the back of your yellow copy that you get from migration it says you are allowed to stay for blank days they never fill in how many days. When I get hasseled I simply show them and always when you have a problem don't speak any spanish this can make things worse. They want tourist dollars and you are a tourist.

G

Gunnar

Funny, they wrote 3694 days on my yellow paper. (Still
have it!) Slightly more than 10 years in other words...

When I arrived, I simply mentioned my desire to stay for "as
long as possible, lifetime at best" and "business" rather than
"vacation" as reason.

But I travel on a swedish passport (well, actually on an airplane, but don't mark words!) and Sweden didn't require
visa for dominican citizens until they joined the EU in 1995.

Would that be the difference?

I also have tried to figure out the logic behind 3694 days.
So far I have been unable to. 10 years would be 3652 days
(3651 if 2000 had been "normal"), so there is an excess of
42 days. This would take me to 12:th or 13:th December
2008. Significance? Santa Lucia? The last four digits
of the officials mistress?

E

ECH, M.D.

GOOD GRIEF
THAT IS HARDLY TIME ENOUGH TO DEFROST FROM YOUR COLD WINTERS!!!LOL

S

Sherri

10 year visa

Question..Can you work off of the 10 year visa? I am coming from Canada in September 2001 and want to stay for atleast a year but will need to work.

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: 10 year visa

This is a TOURIST VISA, not a work permit! You normally have to obtain a residency status before you are permitted to work. Just like in most other countries. Obtaining a residence status is a complicated arduous process and last I heard one was required to have a substantial amoung of money ($40,000.00 U.S. deposited in a local bank). Sounds like you have a great deal of research to do on your project unless you plan to work illegally. Favio Guzman, Attorney, is an expert in this field I believe and he reads the board and contributes quite frequently.

R

Ronald Heyne

ECH,

do I save the the 10 US$ for the tourist card when I have a visa?

Ronald

R

Ronald Heyne

Oh, didn?t expect that. Time for me to get a visa!

Ronald

E

ECH, M.D.

Actually Ronald, your are BUYING a tourist card. When you have a visa, you don't need a tourist card and I advise all FREQUENT visitors to the DR to obtain a tourist visa. And, besides, you don't have to worry about that little receipt that comes with it that you must show on departure. THIS does NOT obviate the $10.00 DEPARTURE TAX. Even Dominicans must pay this.

R

Ronald Heyne

ECH,

the departure tax is no problem for me, as my airline (LTU) automatically charges this with the ticket and I don?t have to pay it at the airport. For 3-4 trips each year I?ll hurry to get the visa.

Thanks

Ronald

R

Ronald Heyne

No visa!

I just called the Dominican consulate in Germany. They say that tourist visas are not issued for people from countries which don?t need one. Those people have to buy a tourist card.

Ronald

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: No visa!

I really don't understand their answer..."don't need one". What was their reply when you stated you wanted to stay longer than the allowed 90 days on the tourist card? I would be interested to know. Many of my Canadian and American friends have visas. Are they discriminating against Europeans? They don't want you here more than 90 days?

R

Ronald Heyne

They might want us for longer than 90 days, but they want the 10 US$! Longer than 90 would be possible with certificate of conduct, translated into spanish language.
Visa only for people from countries who can not enter on the tourist card.

Ronald

E

ECH, M.D.

BUT AMERICANS and Canadians CAN enter on a tourist card....We can enter either way....Something is not right here.....I think you are being scammed

B

Bob Saunders

The DOMINICAN Embassy in Ottawa has an information section on it's website and although I haven't checked, I'm sure the DR Embassy in Washington will have the same information. There is an explanation of the VISA's and the price. They also give you a contact e-mail address. Check and maybe there won't be as much rumour and conjecture about the rules.