Publicos From Cabarete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Is there a place in Cabarete like across from the Texaco in Sosua that dispatches publicos?
It's so easy to get publicos to Cabarete but difficult to get them coming back.
Is there a special place to stand or time/day when it's easier to get them going to Sosua?
Thanks!

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
My experience in the past was standing on the main highway on the beach side at any spot waiting for the publicos to Sosua. The route from Sosua ends at Rio San Juan and return. In Cabarete you will only find 2 taxi stands which are for private fares which are also located on the beach side of the street. The pubicos head west and east 24 - 7 from what I was made to understand.

Bermudarum

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Going to Sousa is not too hard. Just flag them down. Comming back, go to the Texaco. The taxi stand is across the street. You can usually find one there at night. I think you are talking about going back at night.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I'm talking about getting a publico from Cabarete to Sosua. My experience in the afternoon or early evenings is that there are very few publicos going from Cabarete and the few that do are always full.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Know what you are asking. Again the publicos do not start from Cabarete heading to Sosua. Maybe they are full because the people east of Cabarete are not interested in getting off until they get to Sosua, you think? Why not get on the many guagua that ride to Sosua until I believe 6 or 7 PM. They should have space available and can be flagged down similar to the publicos.

Bermudarum

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Know what you are asking. Again the publicos do not start from Cabarete heading to Sosua. Maybe they are full because the people east of Cabarete are not interested in getting off until they get to Sosua, you think? Why not get on the many guagua that ride to Sosua until I believe 6 or 7 PM. They should have space available and can be flagged down similar to the publicos.

Bermudarum

Sorry, I was responding to Oriole100. Bermudarum, I think you hit the nail on the head. All the publicos are full at Rio San Juan or before they get to Cabarete and most people are going to Sosua. When we stand on the road in Cabarete trying to come back to Sosua there always seem to be more publicos coming from Sosua than going back to Sosua. Have used the guaguas when no publicos.They seem to start in Cabarete because they are empty when they get there and by the time they get to Sosua I usually count between 18-20 people on board.
We usually try to get back mid day early evening and often on weekends. I guess we will just keep changing days and times to see if it makes a difference. We are just spoiled because it's so easy to day trip to Puerta Plata and back and to get to Cabarete, just not back from Cabarete. It might also be that Cabarete has a stronger taxi union since they are right on the main drag. Alternatively,
maybe we'll try a day trip to Rio San Juan.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
You are right about coming back from Cabarete, I usually flag guaguas, but it's difficult to gauge the optimum location to wait. Instinctively you want to move toward Rio San Juan, because you think you get ahead of the crowd if an half empty publico arrives. BUT people also get off in Cabarate, so could have more luck at the other end !? On Sundays I have sometime waited a long time for anything big or small.

(By the way I feel really insecure in publicos, seating in front when they driving like mad max without seat belt, even a small knock could cause serious damage! though guaguas are also bad but gives you a false sense of security... !!!? LOL)

bellakins

May 31, 2008
Ocean Dream driveway

If you wait by the main road (by the driveway) that's a good place to catch the publicos -
Across from the colmado/mechanics garage at Callejon de la Loma.
I've always had pretty good luck there.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
... there always seem to be more publicos coming from Sosua than going back to Sosua.
This would seem to be a logical absurdity. Are you suggesting that a percentage of the publicos from Sos?a to Cabarete are scrapped or sold off each day once they have reached their destination?

I have done this trip many, many times and have experienced nil problems other than a 10-15 minute wait if during the small hours of the morning which is not unreasonable. Indeed I have a friend driving a taxi on that route who complains that occupancy has fallen since the recession and he has a job to scrape a living as he frequently has only one or two passengers in his publico.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
This would seem to be a logical absurdity. Are you suggesting that a percentage of the publicos from Sos?a to Cabarete are scrapped or sold off each day once they have reached their destination?

I have done this trip many, many times and have experienced nil problems other than a 10-15 minute wait if during the small hours of the morning which is not unreasonable. Indeed I have a friend driving a taxi on that route who complains that occupancy has fallen since the recession and he has a job to scrape a living as he frequently has only one or two passengers in his publico.

Not absurd or illogical, just telling what I have experienced. I don't know what happens to all the publicos heading to Rio San Juan. Maybe when they get to Rio San Juan they take a break or end up bunched up in Rio San Juan waiting for enough people to leave.

There are always taxis but $15 between Sosua and Cabarete is expensive for residents. Yesterday we were in Santiago and you can get a private taxi for $100 pesos per ride throughout the city.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
If you wait by the main road (by the driveway) that's a good place to catch the publicos -
Across from the colmado/mechanics garage at Callejon de la Loma.
I've always had pretty good luck there.

Thank you for the advice. I will try leaving from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.