Looks like DR1 advice was good...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Back in August we had a poster who posted that he had, site and country unseen, invested in a north coast pre-construction property via an organisation in the UK. Many of the residents here had concerns because no-one knew of any work being done to develop the locations mentioned by the poster and they tried to advise him accordingly. Some had personal knowledge of the organisation and were kind enough to share red flags. The poster however was convinced that there were no problems, he knew the directors of this organisation personally and he told posters what they could do with their advice. Whereupon things became a little........fraught :cheeky: and the poster started issuing threats.The thread was deleted and the poster eventually banned and re-banned when he became a sock puppet.

Yesterday the UK newspaper The Guardian published this article about the UK organisation concerned:
Caribbean property investors fear for their deposits | Money | The Observer

I'm posting in this forum because that is where the poster originally posted, although the Mods. might feel it more appropriate elsewhere.

I just wanted to say, when you get a number of different residents all posting 'be careful' messages, it really IS worth listening.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I remember the thread and the poster very well - nothing anyone said could have swayed him. My mother used to say 'a fool and his money are soon parted', and that guy certainly fit the bill. Not only did he ignore on-site DR1ers who tried to help, he was arrogance personified. We have a unique, varied group here on DR1, and their expertise in so many areas is priceless - if someone bothers to listen!

AE

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
It certainly makes one wonder if the OP in question was really a sales drone for the property contemplated. Unfortunately on forums such as DR1 there are those who prefer to hide behind obscure identities. One of the things I enjoy about DR1 is that those who matter, who are really here to help, have no problem telling you who they are, where they live and even buy you a beer to discuss issues with you.

DR1 Rocks, it's that simple!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A fool and his money.....
YOu can lead a horse to water.....

There's one born every day!!

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Oh DEAR!!!!!
Does this mean that our (now deleted/banned) friend will NOT be coming to "Shove my head down a toilet" somewhere??? I really was quite looking forward to him trying that one!!!

The Two Rivers project (if one looks at the location & it's environmental problems) was never going to be a winner & anyone with a little bit of grey matter between the ear lobes would have seen that IF they got the images of ? or U$D out from in front of their eyes. ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It certainly makes one wonder if the OP in question was really a sales drone for the property contemplated. Unfortunately on forums such as DR1 there are those who prefer to hide behind obscure identities. One of the things I enjoy about DR1 is that those who matter, who are really here to help, have no problem telling you who they are, where they live and even buy you a beer to discuss issues with you.

DR1 Rocks, it's that simple!

A perfectly valid point, Castellamonte, but in this particular case I don't think he was a sales drone. I did a bit of checking because he emailed me originally and then when I hadn't responded in 12 hours he followed it up with a PM :rolleyes:. I of course always check people emailing me before I respond in case I find myself replying to a mad axeman, raging psycho, florid catatonic, escaped rapist or............washroom baptismal fetishist :) and in this case I think it really was someone who had invested in a property, yet to be constructed, without even visiting the DR.

I've now had time to read those forums referred to in the Guardian article and they certainly make interesting reading. And I found another one which is about liquidating timeshares..............:ermm: All very educational!
Marshall Solutions UK - Timesharetalk Forum

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I missed that, was it deleted?

Yes but only after he started issuing various threats of a physical nature :rolleyes: which of course meant the thread was toast. In a way it's a shame because, minus the threats, it was full of good learning material. He asked a question and was in turn asked about his investment. He clearly didn't want to discuss it and got argumentative when people shared their wisdom & gave their viewpoints. Then opinion split between posters as to whether the 'wisdom' was relevant, seeing as how the poster had not questioned his investment nor how he made it. It was some of us who live here who did this based on both experience and knowledge.

Having read the Guardian article, it seemed to me a suitable follow-up to post. Maybe the poster has now read it too, although I have my doubts as to whether he would have been a Guardian reader.......;)

I don't know if the software here is hard delete or soft delete, but if the latter, you as a Mod. might have access to it lurking in some back 'aggro alley' or other.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Both "soft" and "hard" deletes are available depending on the exact designation of the particular Mod. or Admin.

Unfortunately once a decision has been made that the thread is beyond salvage, it is probably gone forever. All SPAM and most deletions are "hard" deleted as it makes no sense to pay for the storage costs over time; and there are both opportunity and tangible costs involved in data storage decisions.

On another note we have a somewhat similar situation developing here

www.dr1.com/forums/legal/98117-evictions-d-r.html

where the OP does not appreciate any answer which doesn't directly address his exact question...

Gregg

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I don't know if the software here is hard delete or soft delete, but if the latter, you as a Mod. might have access to it lurking in some back 'aggro alley' or other.

You can probably find the cached archives somewhere on GOOGLE with a little creative searching.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Having read the Guardian article, it seemed to me a suitable follow-up to post. Maybe the poster has now read it too, although I have my doubts as to whether he would have been a Guardian reader.......;)

daily mail fan if i ever saw one... :cheeky:
he had a bit of jim jones qualities to him, this dude, if i may say so, to stay defiant in the face of facts.
i am surprised more investors are not demanding their money back for those projects...

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Well, can't say we didn't warn him. A lot of you will remember my post about this company and a client of mine that had lost a lot of money BEFORE approaching me for advice. He was about to lose a lot more until I researched the company.
That is the beauty of DR1, but some fools chose not to listen to sound advice!

Sep 22, 2009
The price of arrogance in business = bancruptcy

This is simply not true. "Appropriate Arrogance" is mandatory for success - in any venture, personal or business.

Bankruptcy falls on organizations and individuals for numerous reasons. Lack of fundamental financial management like overspend countermeasures, budget process, quality management, etc. Don't forget about critical market and economic conditions as well. But with a solid grasp and adherence to the fundamentals, one can be flexible and innovative to weather the storm.

Sorry dread, this is just a gross overstatement and generalisation.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
poe tae toe / poe tah toe

This is simply not true. "Appropriate Arrogance" is mandatory for success - in any venture, personal or business.

Sorry dread, this is just a gross overstatement and generalisation.

What you call "Appropriate Arrogance" I call "Confidence". There's a difference (to me). I don't see where arrogance and competency are remotely related. In my business it's the road to certain failure.

Every one liner ever written is a gross overstatement and generalization.

Sep 22, 2009
What you call "Appropriate Arrogance" I call "Confidence". There's a difference (to me). I don't see where arrogance and competency are remotely related. In my business it's the road to certain failure.

Every one liner ever written is a gross overstatement and generalization.

agree to disagree

You say po-ta-to, I say po-ta-bien entonces :)

Status
Not open for further replies.