Santo Domingo and the Amazing Race!

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
I was lucky enough to stumble upon the Discovery Channel, last night and saw Santo Domingo as one of the cities on this year's show. It is not the American version, rather a special version of the show for Latin America. The groups ran through SD's Colonial Zone, and completed various activities in the city. It was interesting to hear the comments from the visitors and see the DR through the lens of this show. The hecticness was evident, but highlighted by the fact that this a very hectic show and fast paced show. Featured prominently was the Cathedral, the Fortaleza, and the Alcazar.

One comment that I found interesting from the contestant, when it came to their interaction with the Dominicans, was that every time the contestants asked for help from the locals, the Dominicans either asked for a tip or were given money by the contestant. All the contestants made a comment about this. At one point, the Brazilian team commented they would end up poor, and the Venezuelan guy said they would first pay with their money and then with "thank yous" because they would not have nay left.

It was an interesting set of comments. Those not familiar with the DR, might not be as shocked with this, but having lived here for a few years, and being aware at the fact that anytime someone volunteers for something, "lo mio" is always expected.

Anyways, it was an interesting watch. Here is the link if you are interested.

Amazing Race Latin America:

Mr. Lu

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
One comment that I found interesting from the contestant, when it came to their interaction with the Dominicans, was that every time the contestants asked for help from the locals, the Dominicans either asked for a tip or were given money by the contestant. All the contestants made a comment about this. At one point, the Brazilian team commented they would end up poor, and the Venezuelan guy said they would first pay with their money and then with "thank yous" because they would not have nay left.

It was an interesting set of comments. Those not familiar with the DR, might not be as shocked with this, but having lived here for a few years, and being aware at the fact that anytime someone volunteers for something, "lo mio" is always expected.

I didn't see the whole show, only what was shown on the website. What was shown on the website was obviously heavily edited to show only the highlights, and did not show the complaints that Mr. Lu refers to. Not a single Dominican asked for money when presented with a request in what was shown on the website.

Apart from the parking guys in the ZC, I have never been approached for money when I was asking for directions or needed help. In no way so I want to say that people who hang around tourist areas in SD are perfect saints, but the notion that EVERY Dominican would deny or withhold help in the hope of getting paid isn't accurate, at least in my experience.

Interesting that this was a point of contention. I have lived in/spent significant time in at least 3 of the countries represented in the show- Chile, Argentina and Brazil- and can tell you that the same type of tourist con exists everywhere in Latin America. Anyone who has set foot in Salvador, Brazil could tell you that the DR pales in comparison to level of con that goes on in the Pelourinho. Perhaps they have just been shielded from it in their own countries?

I wonder if it was because they were being followed by cameras the whole time?

Found link to the whole episode:

Episode 10

Last edited:

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Okay, watched the entire episode- and loved it! Definitely worth a viewing.

The only time I saw them offer money was when they were hopelessly lost and asking the motoconchos to take them to their destination. I have done that many a time. Hardly think it is being taken advantage of.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I never put myself in a position to be had-maybe the odd attempt last year when i was more of a newby.

I do however remember circumstances similar to what Mr. Lu has described.

One that comes to mind is the unsolicited follower/wannabe tour guide who literally followed and annoyed me for a few blocks before asking for 500 pesos for the security he provided. He was about 120lbs soaking wet. I of course told him i will settle for the balance of 500 pesos which represented the security i provided him which equated to 1000 pesos.
He of course argued until it became obvious he was getting nothing.

After 2 years living in Argentina and 2 months in Brazil I have never experienced con behaviours that even closely rival what i have seen here.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Okay, watched the entire episode- and loved it! Definitely worth a viewing.

The only time I saw them offer money was when they were hopelessly lost and asking the motoconchos to take them to their destination. I have done that many a time. Hardly think it is being taken advantage of.

Not a complaint, just an observation. And for as much as this happens in other countries I am more concerned about how the DR's image is portrayed to an international audience who only gets glimpses of what the DR is. If the images viewers get of the DR are people always asking for money, what will that leave to the imagination?

But what was "damming" in my opinion, was that the comments were coming from the competitors themselves, as part of social interaction, and from people who were barely interacting with Dominicans. That's all.

If this is what travelers to the DR say about the country, as they barely spend 24 hours here, what do other travelers, who spend days and weeks, say?

I get asked for money ten times a day, as I walk home. People will give directions for free, but what I was getting at was the "image" that is presented as a result of this all....

Mr. Lu

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Oh that's where it is. I kept hearing The Amazing Race was going to The DR and kept waiting for the episode which never materialized (They're still in Prague). I had no idea there was a Latin version of this...It is the one show I would like to be in...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
But what was "damming" in my opinion, was that the comments were coming from the competitors themselves, as part of social interaction, and from people who were barely interacting with Dominicans. That's all.

If this is what travelers to the DR say about the country, as they barely spend 24 hours here, what do other travelers, who spend days and weeks, say?

Mr. Lu

Mr. Lu-unfortunately these stories are the type that sell.

No one wants to hear how someone spent time in the DR and met many responsible Dominicans with careers from the middle and upper-middle class."

These are the type of ignorant generalizations that some Dominicans themselves engage in to keep unknowing tourists from venturing out from the relative safety of the all-inclusive hotels.

Meanwhile, while they harp on the crime and the poverty, the biggest vultures and predators are right there on the Animation team, scheming on hotel guests to no end.

Besides, these so-called reality shows like "The Great Race" are chock full of a-holes who are usually no better than the very people they criticize. I would never take traveling tips from any of those idiots.