Hotel Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Hello All...

I will be doing the all inclusive thing this trip. Just looking to relax a little w/ a significant other. Will get outside a little as i will have a rental car but overall not looking to go out and explore too much this time around.

I am looking at staying at Hotel Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo. Had some good reviews and is priced pretty good right now at around $60 p/p per night. Probably do the upgrade to golden club for a few dollars more. I looked at the other Bahia hotels. The one on the island probably would have been my first choice but is not doable as i will have a rental car. We are beach people so the photos showed principe portillo to have more of a beach front than the others.

Has anyone been here lately... any suggestions, advice or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

les1

Feb 1, 2007
I know people who have worked at Bahia Principe and its common knowledge they treat staff very badly. For example they offer to train dominicans for 3 months with the promise of a job - for no money - and just before 3 months - when they get legal rights, they get the sack - 3 months work for free. So stay there with this knowledge.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Hello All...

I will be doing the all inclusive thing this trip. Just looking to relax a little w/ a significant other. Will get outside a little as i will have a rental car but overall not looking to go out and explore too much this time around.

I am looking at staying at Hotel Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo. Had some good reviews and is priced pretty good right now at around $60 p/p per night. Probably do the upgrade to golden club for a few dollars more. I looked at the other Bahia hotels. The one on the island probably would have been my first choice but is not doable as i will have a rental car. We are beach people so the photos showed principe portillo to have more of a beach front than the others.

Has anyone been here lately... any suggestions, advice or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have only been to Cayo Levantado and whilst we went by taxi, they do offer parking at the dock area. If you are set on CL, check the parking situation ahead of time.

It is great for a romantic type getaway but very little to do and virtually zero nightlife in the event you are interested in that.

Enjoy

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
For example they offer to train dominicans for 3 months with the promise of a job - for no money

And you cannot believe everything the Dominicans working in hotels say. Do you really think that if this was true they would still have people working for them? They do have a probation period of three months, but they do get paid during the three months.

Actually, I have heard many good things about the hotel, so if there is where you want to go Gee Dee, go for it and have a great time!

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
My wife and I have stayed at the Hotel Gran Bahia Principe El Portillo 4 times in the past 2 years. We love it and only have good things to say about it. The beach is fantastic. We have also at Cayo Levantado and for the money the Gran Bhia Principe is much better. You are limited to the island while at Levantado but it is nice and romantic, even for us old folks. Enjoy

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Well, I have heard this both from dominicans and British people who have worked there. And why do people work there if this is true? Because there may be a chance you will get a paid job and be able to feed your family.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
For example they offer to train dominicans for 3 months with the promise of a job - for no money

And you cannot believe everything the Dominicans working in hotels say. Do you really think that if this was true they would still have people working for them? They do have a probation period of three months, but they do get paid during the three months.
The 3 months scam is a classic all over the DR in the All Inclusive hotels industry... It has been like this since I can remember (ask folks from the Puerto Plata/Sosua area, they know...)

That scam enables the Spaniards in charge of the resort to employ folks for "almost" nothing, that is much less than the legal minimum wage, which is already a joke, somewhere below 5000rd$ a month...

Well, just wanted to set the records straight... That's all...

Feb 7, 2007
I know people who have worked at Bahia Principe and its common knowledge they treat staff very badly. For example they offer to train dominicans for 3 months with the promise of a job ..... and just before 3 months - when they get legal rights, they get the sack - 3 months work for free. So stay there with this knowledge.

That scam enables the Spaniards in charge of the resort to employ folks for "almost" nothing, that is much less than the legal minimum wage, which is already a joke, somewhere below 5000rd$ a month...

I can confirm that, an acquaintance's ex did this "training" in Bahia Principe Bavaro as waitress, the last I asked she was "not accepted" for the job.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
At the end of the day, if you plan to visit the country, and you want to be fair with the locals, don't go to an All-Inclusive hotel, don't give your hard-earned money to greedy Spaniards. Go to a smaller, "real" hotel, with "real" employees.

Since the OP is referring to the broader Las Terrenas area, there are plenty of those hotels, just check the search-button. Juniper will tell you Alizei is the best, other would tell you their favorite is the best... I can only say that there are many choices. Alizei is very good. So are other choices...

Be fair, don't go to Spanish-owned big AI resorts. Do your homework. Come & enjoy the Dominican Republic, there are plenty of good alternative to those plastic-bracelets factories...

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Thank you, at last someone else has come forward and said that the all inclusives treat their employees like dirt and there is a better and more interesting and rewarding life outside of these places. You may need to try a little harder to get what you want, perhaps move on to another place, but you stand a chance of getting to know something about the country and the people. shame on the post who said that "You can't trust what dominicans say"

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Juniper will tell you Alizei is the best, other would tell you their favorite is the best... I can only say that there are many choices. Alizei is very good.

Hotel Alisei is fantastic and great value for money. We really liked the location too.
I have to concur that getting out of the AI's is the only way to aquaint oneself with the country, employment standards aside.

I have heard similar rumours to that effect. Now a probation period I understand, but not without pay. Its a shame that these people in need of work get duped in this manner but I am sure that this situation is not endemic to the DR.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
I still stand by my comment about the fact that the employees are indeed working under a three month trial period; however, they DO get paid during those three months. What they don't get is a mandatory severance pay if you have worked more than three months in one place and are laid off. They are not entitled to vacation pay either. This is the same everywhere in the DR, not only the all inclusive hotels.

That said, I would also prefer to see vacationers go to the smaller hotels and in this way, help the community. As mentioned above, the Alisei Hotel is a great place to stay in Las Terrenas. One of the best.

Juniper

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Ah, in many cases the people are laid off because they are hired for the high tourist season and then laid off when the industry slows down, and this is a well known fact among the different communities, therefore, the people looking for work know very well what they are getting into.

Jiniper

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Well what I have been told by a number of people is this:
You work for no money for 3 months as a training period with the promise of paid employment after 3 months. Then before the 3 months are up you are dismissed, with no legal rights because you have not worked for 3 months - to qualify for legal rights

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Resort was nice... I would give it 3 1/2 to 4 stars.
Staff very attentive and helpful.
Animation crew was great.
Food was not bad for the price. Buffet was better than the restraunts, in my opinion.

Beach was beautiful and you could walk forever if thats your thing. The place was packed with Europeans at the resort. Beach chairs at the resort were taken early. We walked down to Portillo Beach & Spa. The resort is not open but they had chairs out lining the beach. We paid the wachiman RD100 to rent the chairs for the day. Which was nice cause we had the whole beach in front to ourselves.

We upgraded to the "golden club" cause it was only a few dollars more. Definately not worth it. You really dont get any benefits other than use of free internet from 9am to 5pm.

Rooms were very spacious w/ jacuzzi and seperate shower. Rooms had a balcony. Resort really dosnt have ocean view rooms. Request villa 1 or 2 if you go to this resort. They are closest to the pool and beach and lobby.

It took us 3 1/2 hours driving from Puerto Plata area. Very easy drive like the previous posters said. Take # 5 and just follow the signs. Although we missed the turn in Nagua it only costed us about 10 minutes. The road was typical. Just watch the pot holes. The road turning off 5 onto the mountain that leads to Las Terrenas was pretty bad. There was active construction going on but the road is bad and is a slow ride. 4x4 is not necessary.

The cost was around $60 per night per person and overall was well worth it if you are looking to do the all inclusive thing.