Time allowed to stay in country

Calmclam

Mar 29, 2005
What is the maximum time one can safely put on the documents when entering the DR? I have an unexpected opportunity to be there for several months but don't know for sure whether "several" means 3, 4, 5,...

Susan from Fredericksburg, VA

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Extended Stay Fees

What is the maximum time one can safely put on the documents when entering the DR? I have an unexpected opportunity to be there for several months but don't know for sure whether "several" means 3, 4, 5,...

Susan from Fredericksburg, VA

Put 14 days.
Then you pay when leaving according to a table of fees.

donP

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
When you enter on a tourist or business visa the maximum stay is for 60 days. A multiple entry business visa is good for one year

If you stay longer then the 60 days there is a graduated fee schedule of fines you pay upon departure from the country if you do not request an extension. You can request an extension by going to the Migration Department in Santo Domingo.

Regards,
PJT

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
When you enter on a tourist or business visa the maximum stay is for 60 days. A multiple entry business visa is good for one year

If you stay longer then the 60 days there is a graduated fee schedule of fines you pay upon departure from the country if you do not request an extension. You can request an extension by going to the Migration Department in Santo Domingo.

Regards,
PJT

60 days ???? It's new is it not ? and since when??

Calmclam

Mar 29, 2005
More info found on the 'net

Extending Your Stay: Dominican Republic Travel Guide and more from Answers.com
Many visitors come to the Dominican Republic on vacation, fall in love with the country ? or with someone who lives there ? and never look back. If you should decide to stay beyond the 90-day period permitted by the tourist card, you are required to visit the authorities to officially extend your stay. Overstays can incur fines up to as much as RD $200, depending on the length of the infraction. While this isn?t a big expense, the red tape involved can be a huge hassle in time and energy ? just ask anyone who?s ever had to deal with immigration officers abroad. If, for whatever reason, you decide to remain in the DR longer than originally planned, go to any airport or immigration office and pay the nominal US $10 fee to extend your stay for three more months. The office at Centro de Los Heroes near the Malec?n in Santo Domingo (☎ 809-534-8060) is the most convenient and efficient.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Extending Your Stay: Dominican Republic Travel Guide and more from Answers.com
Many visitors come to the Dominican Republic on vacation, fall in love with the country ? or with someone who lives there ? and never look back. If you should decide to stay beyond the 90-day period permitted by the tourist card, you are required to visit the authorities to officially extend your stay. Overstays can incur fines up to as much as RD $200, depending on the length of the infraction. While this isn?t a big expense, the red tape involved can be a huge hassle in time and energy ? just ask anyone who?s ever had to deal with immigration officers abroad. If, for whatever reason, you decide to remain in the DR longer than originally planned, go to any airport or immigration office and pay the nominal US $10 fee to extend your stay for three more months. The office at Centro de Los Heroes near the Malec?n in Santo Domingo (☎ 809-534-8060) is the most convenient and efficient.

PJT is talking about 60 days.
The 90 days period was a few years ago. After that it went to 30 days and now 15 days. If i recall well the 60 days period(around 1990) was before it went to 90 days (around 1992)

So I'm wondering if now the 60 days period is back ???

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Migraci?n Fees

A tourist card is good for 30 days, after that you pay 800 RD$ (for a stay up to 3 months).

donP

G&C

Aug 28, 2010
Does anyone know how many times can you extend your stay on a tourist card? Is it just once or can you keep heading back to any airport or immigration office and pay the nominal US $10 fee to extend your stay for three more months indefinately?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Does anyone know how many times can you extend your stay on a tourist card? Is it just once or can you keep heading back to any airport or immigration office and pay the nominal US $10 fee to extend your stay for three more months indefinately?

Just stay as long as you want and pay the fine when you leave. This has been covered a dozen times, use the search function.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

CODIGO DESCRIPCION TARIFA VIGENTE VIP
032 De 30 dias a 3 meses 800.00 -
033 De 3 meses a 9 meses 1,000.00 -
034 De 9 meses a 1 a?o 2,500.00 -
035 De 1 a?o a 1 a?o y 6 meses 4,000.00 -
036 De 1 a?o y medio a 2 a?os 5,000.00 -
037 De 2 a?os a 2 a?os y 6 meses 6,500.00 -
038 De 2 a?os y medio a 3 a?os 9,000.00 -
039 De 2 a?os a 5 a?os 14,000.00 -
040 De 5 a?os en adelante 17,000.00 -

It would be so practical and inexpensive to do as you suggested (go back... pay 10$ US for 3 months.....). That is not the way it goes though

Last edited:

G&C

Aug 28, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion SKY. I?ve already read the many threads on paying the fine when you exit the country, I?ve also read the threads on the consequences of staying in the country illegally and the effect this could have on vehicle insurance claims. i.e. not being covered

What I was looking for was an alternative way of staying in the country legally without having to apply for residency. With costs of applying for residency being close to $2,500 USD, paying $10 USD per 3 months for a new tourist card looked like a better option.

La Mariposa, is this something you have tried? You mentioned it ?is not the way it goes though?. What happened when you tried it?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
As long as you don't want to work or drive (legally, with insurance) a residency is not really necessary. There has been much discussion as to whether extending your visa in advance allows you to drive. I haven't read a definitive answer that I trust yet on that one.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Thanks for the suggestion SKY. I?ve already read the many threads on paying the fine when you exit the country, I?ve also read the threads on the consequences of staying in the country illegally and the effect this could have on vehicle insurance claims. i.e. not being covered

What I was looking for was an alternative way of staying in the country legally without having to apply for residency. With costs of applying for residency being close to $2,500 USD, paying $10 USD per 3 months for a new tourist card looked like a better option.La Mariposa, is this something you have tried? You mentioned it ?is not the way it goes though?. What happened when you tried it?

The tourist card is not good for 3 months, it was, many years ago though..

If you want to stay legally in the country .... you have to ask for a prorroga, that is what the law says. As for me, I have always asked for a prorroga.

When I say ''it's not the way it goes though'' I mean that it's not what the law says.

Obligaciones de los viajeros.-

Las personas que viajen a la Rep?blica Dominicana, tanto provistas de visados como de tarjetas de turista, est?n obligadas a salir del territorio nacional en el per?odo de tiempo acordado por las autoridades migratorias dominicanas; en caso de que desearen permanecer m?s tiempo en la Rep?blica, deber?n proceder a prorrogar su permiso de permanencia en la Direcci?n General de Migraci?n.