SDQ-Samana Road At Night

ovation1

Jun 24, 2006
I ve taken the new road several times during the day, besides animals is there anything that one ( a non-dominican) should be aware of while driving the new rd at night? I remember hearing stories about Banditos somewhere near the National Park.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
You only have to worry about running head-on into an expat driving there!

Two citizens of the United States die in road crash Samana

Two Americans were killed and two Frenchmen seriously wounded after colliding head-on the vehicles they were driving on the Santo Domingo-Samana Highway.

Members of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (AMET), in service on the route identified the dead Americans as Jorge Ramon Pupo, 63, Jorge Pupo, 33, two relatives who died instantly as a result of the blows and injuries sustained.

Both US citizens were in the Nissan Sentra car, plate A-494-720. The accident occurred Monday morning.

The injured French nationals are Jean Jackes Robert Paul and Federico Schermann, who were on board the Nissan SUV, with the GI-80923 plate. They were taken to the Hospital Dr. Dario Contreras.

According to accounts provided by witnesses the accident occurred when one of the drivers of the vehicles tried to make pass.

The bodies of two U.S. citizens were transferred to the Institute of Forensic Sciences for autopsies. It is not said whether the two would be sent to the United States.

In the new Santo Domingo-Samana Highway of about 130 kilometers in lenght, several accidents have taken place this year that have left several people dead and others seriously hurt. According to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (AMET), most of these accidents are attributed to speeding drivers, who often try to pass other vehicles and are considered reckless drivers. Due to this situation, the institution has established several checkpoints to regulate traffic on this important route.

Source (In Spanish): Mueren dos ciudadanos de EU en choque carretera Saman? - ElNacional.com.do

As you can see, better watch out for foreigners as well in the DR driving around!!!

Reckless driving is the #1 killer in the roads of the DR!!! It's well known that Dominicans that drink seldom are involved in accidents, due to the fact that's the very only time when they take extra care to drive orderly and with the best precautions. The #2 killer in the DR by volume of deaths are large vehicles.
The #3 killer in the DR is the night, driving at night could pose grave dangers that during the day are easy to avoid while driving.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This time I am in agreement with Mr. Pichardo...He was up later than I was. I was going to put this up here on the board, as typical of what happens on so many of these roads...

In fact, it was a Nissan Murano vs. Nissan Sentra. Murano won.

And people wonder why we don't recommend newbies to drive here...

HB

I just learned that one of the Frenchmen died also. The road is becoming known as Death's Highway...
Reminds me of old Butcher's Boulevard, route 17 in New Jersey.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
And people wonder why we don't recommend newbies to drive here...QUOTE]

Took me two minor car accidents to get the full hang of driving in the DR.:ermm:

It's no piece of cake and some take it lightly. No good. Speically driving at night. I have not 4 eyes but 10 looking around.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Helpers?

A very sad accident indeed.

A bit worrying:
"Una jeepeta que se acerc? al auto de los accidentados carg? con varios bultos que estos transportaban, informaron fuentes oculares a DominicanosHoy.com."

Source:
"http://dominicanoshoy.com/articulos/articulo/dos-estadounidenses-murieron-en-accidente-de-trafico/

DonP