Family Sponsored Visa Questions for the US!

amandalynn

Oct 5, 2007
My boyfriends extended family lives here in the US and they sponsored his family members to come to the US. His mom has her interview on the 14th. When they applied for his family to come the US he was under 18 years of age and now he is not. Is it still possible for him to come with his family to the US?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Here's the info from the US Department of State

Applying for a Visitor Visa
Applicants for visitor visas should generally apply the U.S. Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over their place of permanent residence. Although visa applicants may apply at any U.S. consular office abroad, it may be more difficult to qualify for the visa outside the country of permanent residence. Visa applications are now subject to a greater degree of review than in the past so it is important to apply for your visa well in advance of your travel departure date.

As part of the visa application process, an interview at the embassy consular section is required for visa applicants from age 14 through 79, with few exceptions. Persons age 13 and younger, and age 80 and older, generally do not require an interview, unless requested by embassy or consulate. Making your appointment for an interview is the first step in the visa application process. The waiting time for an interview appointment for applicants can vary, so early visa application is strongly encouraged. Visa wait times for interview appointments and visa processing time information for each U.S. Embassy or Consulate worldwide is available on our website at Visa Wait Times , and on most embassy websites. Learn how to schedule an appointment for an interview, pay the application processing fee, review embassy specific instructions, and much more by visiting the Embassy or Consulate website where you will apply.

Taken from Visitor Visas Business and Pleasure

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
On my own experience, if the person sponsored is not married
he is good. The main thing is to remain not married. i know that is a
stupid policy but the idea is not to brake the family so if he get married then
different applications has to filed and process will take super longer.

If he had a child while waiting and he is not married an additional application can be filed to bring the child as well.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife's cousin has 4 children- she is able to bring her 9 and 16 year old in, but her 18 and 20 year old daughters'are out of luck. Exactly how it works I don't know, but this is their situation. Fortunately the two older girls have 5 year Visa.s.