HD tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
What are the TV options on the north coast? Enough HD channels to warrant having a HD TV? Cost? Is there a limit on the size of tv you can bring into the country under the Law168 residency exemption on household goods?

Jan 17, 2009
Where in the North Coast? There are different cable companies covering different towns. Cable del Norte serves Cabarete but I don't believe offers HDTV yet. I have a couple of older sets, but no one offered us HDTV service yet.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
What are the TV options on the north coast? Enough HD channels to warrant having a HD TV? Cost? Is there a limit on the size of tv you can bring into the country under the Law168 residency exemption on household goods?

Just for your knowledge, If you are a born Dominican returning back to the D.R there isn't a time limit with Law 168, but if you are a legal resident with a residency card, you only have the first 6 months of your temporary card beginning date to take advantage of Law 168. I found this out the hard way not knowing there was a time limit.

canuk8068

Sep 15, 2008
Dish

I believe I read on this forum that Dish Network could be set up. I think it said a 6' dish was required. You could get set up with an account while you are still living in the US. I am making the assumption that is where you live at present.

Just a thought. No real experience with doing it.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Dishnetwork HD was working via HD-Nfusion satellite boxes, but that signal was 'compromised' about a month ago, and there is idea when they will be back working. There are other satellite boxes working I heard, but who knows if they will suffer the same fate as Nfusion. You can get legal boxes via SkyTV but those channels are mostly oriented for the Spanish speaking market. Not sure if you get HD via Sky. Apparently, Codetel has an option via the DSL line, but I heard it does not work very well (pixeling due to bad bandwidth). I also don't know if any channels are HD on the Codetel option. Maybe some other posters can share some insight.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You could have someone in the US sign up for a paid subscription for you to DI$H network and import the HD set top box. You would need one 6 foot dish for the channels on satellites 110/119 which have a few HD channels. Then you would need a second dish to point at satellite 61.5 which has the majority of HD channels.

I am having my son who has a subscription to Dish Network send me an HD receiver. Each household in the U.S if memory serves me has a 4 per household limit. I believe the charge to him would be an additional $5.00 per month for service for the box.
I am going to purchase the box outright through him. Hopefully I can get this working here with purchasing the dishes here. I will post the results after I get everything put together. The only thing is that my service will be exactly what my son has.........Luckily he has everything.

Last edited:

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
That should work without a problem.

Now, who do I know in the US with DISH to do the same? hmmmm.

This is a cut and paste from my son's e-mail
Right now I have five receivers and five in use and that?s with direct tv?I get hd package, some sports etc. ? I think I could have a 6th because I did at fetlock. I don?t care about the 5 bucks a month, but getting a new hd receiver might be a couple hundred?I have 3hd , dvr in guest house and plain jane at the cabin(her parents)?let me know what you want to do

If he can add more on, I'll keep you in mind.....Keep your fingers crossed.

I also noticed he uses Direct, not dish as I thought.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
To get all the Channels on Dish Network you will need two Satellite dish's not one as in the States. Dolfi in Sosua is very knowledgeable on this. His number has been posted here before. If anyone wants it they can PM me.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
To get all the Channels on Dish Network you will need two Satellite dish's not one as in the States. Dolfi in Sosua is very knowledgeable on this. His number has been posted here before. If anyone wants it they can PM me.

Will Direct tv workout the same here?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Will Direct tv workout the same here?

With Direct TV you only need one dish. You can get a contract from the States. But if they know it is no good. The guy I mentioned above can hook you up.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Geez, too bad he isn't using DISH. I don't think you can get DirecTV here very well without a very large satellite dish. Others can chime in on that.

Definitely need a 10 ft. dish for Direct TV.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You say a 10' dish. Can you even buy one here? and will that bring in ALL their channels, including HD. And, will the clarity be good outside of HD ?

You need to speak to Dolfi. 809-224-3111 Tell him Ricardo from Sosua sent you. He knows what can be done and cannot be done.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I just talked to Dolfi and he advised me to stay away from Direct tv. I would need at least a 10 ft. dish and he doesn't know anybody who could make it. He stated that even if he knew someone who would, the quality woundn't be good. He said the FTA's are not a good investment now and the best way to go is Dish Network because the FTA's are taking a dump. So, I have to e-mail my son and say thanks, but no thanks.
I have to now locate someone in the US that I can sponge off of for Dish.

Status
Not open for further replies.