Sending Overnight Packages

P

pat

I am sending an overnight package to the DR via UPS. I realize the package will not get to the appropriate person overnight. an My question is this: does Customs/Immigration open packages?

Thanks for your help.

Pat

G

Gunnar

Sometimes, yes. An "overnight" will typically take two to
four days to arrive.

One "trick" is available if you (or the recepient) have
a friend or relative working in a free zone. Then the
customs control is deferred until he/she leaves in the afternoon,
and the eventual checkup is very quick.

One thing however: DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT SENDING DRUGS OR
OTHER ILLEGAL STUFF!!! The messenger and/or receiver WILL
end up in a highly uncomfortable prison! No joke, and this
can't be stressed hard enough. There is ZERO tolerance about
these things! (Thanks God!)

P

PJT

Yes, Customs/Immigration will open packages it considers suspect. It is a gamble. Regards, PJT

P

pat

Thanks for all the advice...and no it isn't any drugs or anything illegal. I was just wondering if I sent stuff overnight if they would get everything in the package. I am concerned about the contents of the package not actually making it to the recipient.

C

Charlie

I have sent several packages to Santo Domingo. None have been opened according to the receipient. The key is to be honest in declaring contents on the custom form. Or at least be in line with what that package should weigh.

Some tips: Do not declare that you are shipping a dress, when the package weighs 10 lbs. and you are really sending a box full of telephones. Common sense would cause the inspectors to be suspicious, based on the awkward package weight, resulting in your package being opened.

Another tip: Don't declare that you sending something stable, like a handbag, when you are actually shipping a contraption that has moving parts and rattles loudly. Again, Customs will know that a purse or handbag doesn't rattle like a box full of marbles. This type of blunder arouses suspicion again and will result in the package getting inspected.

Size and proportion: Don't declare you are sending a dozen baseballs and ship it in a box big enough to send a TV. Even if you may have the weigh in proportion, a box or package that is 10 times the size needed for what you are declaring will arouse Custom inspector suspicion.

I hope this has helped.

E

ECH, M.D.

90% OF MY PACKAGES HAVE BEEN OPENED AND ITEMS MISSING. Customs claims it is the shipping company (FedEx, DHL, UPS) and they in turn claim it is Customs. It is a no win situation and I have even had my grandchilds candy lollipops stolen. We always have an invoice inserted. NEVER send anything of value and try to make arrangements for something like that to be hand carried by you or by friends.