The new GRIPE worse than KOSVO

C

ciberstew

Beware all out there the new virus HIPOLITIS is rapidly spreading all over the DR. It first affects smoakers & drinkers. Then people who need to eat to stay alive. The first symptoms can be detected when you buy a pack of cigs. and have a beer. To know the degree of the infection look at the bill and compare it to last years in the same bar. It can also be detected in the post office compare it now with last week more than double. A five peso letter now costs 12 that is if it is under .00001 grams. WHOW what a virus worse than S**a. What will be done I do not know for shure we all shall perish.

S

Susanne

Sounds bad. What is the extra tax being spent on? Better conditions for the poor and underprivileged? In that case the disease may be the cure. Just a thought.

Regards,
Susanne

H

hlywud

worse than KOSVO

Prices for these vices can't be worse than they are here in Canada, Ciberstew you are still LUCKY a bottle or rum is 2000 peso's here

L

Lyse

Re: worse than KOSVO

Bottle of rum 2000 pesos???? that makes 200$ canadian. Don't you mean about 200 pesos?. And the cigarettes about 4,50$ canadian (45 pesos) for a pack of 25. And so on and so on....

R

Ronald Heyne

Susanne,

the extra money will be spent for the increased number of government employees after the last elections and to buy fuel for the power plants. The electricity generated there will then be wasted in deficient power lines.

Bye

Ronald

R

Randy

Susanne, and what wonderful country do you live in where this is the norm? Xanado must surely be somewhere.

S

Susanne

I didn't say anything like that. I asked a question. If it is true the money is simply going towards more government administration, then the money is poorly spent and then I understand the bitterness.

The point is: Ciberstew makes a statement but I cannot judge whether it is a good or bad thing untill I know what the money is spent on.

Apart from that: In the Scandinavian countries (and they are by no means Xanado) a very large amount of all taxes go towards free health care (doctors and hospitals), free basic and university education and unemployment benefits. This may or may not be a good thing, depending on point of view. It certainly does not make everyone happy - but I do believe it provides close to equal opportunities for all. How you want to use your opportunities is entirely up to you. But you are not disadvantaged materially speaking from birth even if your parents aren't rich.

Regards,
Susanne

L

Laura

It looks to me like everyone else has the answers. This is the year 2001 and from what i see the country is protecting it's standing not wishing to fall back. This country has come a long way and must keep improving the best way they know how. We all can run it better from our easy chair in from of our pc's!
I feel this country is going to continue to grow and advance in goverment and it's wonderful people.

S

Susanne

You have a point. I agree that you have to run your own country, not smart a.. know-it-all gringas like myself!

Still, people living in the DR - whether they are ex-pats or Dominicans - should be allowed to state their point of view. And the rest of us should be able to contribute. Not in order to tell you how to run your own country - but in order to exchange ideas. We may all benefit from different ways of seing things.

Regards,
Susanne

R

Ralph

Susanne,I agree with your statement.
There should always be the freedom to have and express different
ideas, this is the sign of a healthy society...