Access to beaches from Las Galeras - by foot?

New Traveller

Jan 4, 2010
Is it possible to walk to for example Playa Fronton from Las Galeras? What about Playa Rincon? I am used to hiking and would love to experience Las Galeras area and also rest of the Samana peninsula by foot. Any succestions for walks that last a day? Is it possible to buy/get detailed hiking maps from somewhere on Las Galeras or Samana town? Do any guide books have good instructions for hiking routes? Lonely Planet? I'll be staying at a hotel and I don't want to spend any nights in the wild, but daytrips is what I'm looking for. Thank you for your advice! :)

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
Hi,
I made all these excursions on horseback, sorry that I cant?t give you the hiking-times.
1. Playa Madame: Small natural beach with an interesting cave. From LG follow the beach, pass the Grand Paradise Samana, go straight on for a while and then follow the traffic sign (there?s only ONE Playa Madame). You?ll find the cave when climbing up the hills from ca. the middle of the beach. If you like a nice view to Playa Madame, go to the end of the beach and climb up the hill there.

2. Playa Fronton: I needed 1.5 hours on muleback and around 20 min. of hiking to reach El Faro (don?t miss that: spectaclular view to Fronton, leguans, wild orchideas). After I climbed down to Fronton (half an hour, on the way down a small cave), on my way back we took the direct wy up the hills to reach the mule and needed the same time to go back to Las Galeras.

3. La Playita: Easily to reach from Las Galeras. Especially on weekends (Sundays from 16:00) Dominican fiesta with Merengue, Bachata...

4. Playa Colorodo: Nice small beach on the way to Playa Rincon. Sorry, that I can?t remember the way.

5. Playa Rincon: It?s far to hike from Las Galeras. Of course you can hike over there, following the beaches. But you also could take a watertaxi from LG, enjoy a boattour through the mangroves along the river, climb up the hills surrounding Playa Rincon with the spectacluar views on it.

For your security: Never take worthful things on your hikingtours!!! NADA!!! No watches, jewels, only the money you need, hidden close to your body. Nothing which could be of interest. I?m always with Dominican guides - but they also tell me not visit some beaches alone. So be carefull!

Sorry for my bad English

CatherineD

Sep 3, 2006
I agree with ali of the info above and it is very important that you take a local guide. A neighboring teenager would be happy to go with you. They know the trails and will deal with any problems along the way and they will be happy with a $10 tip.

nataliaa

Feb 14, 2010
i heard it takes about two hours, not sure tho.
i had a question if anybody knows if you take a boat to rincon, does it come back to pick you up at a certain time?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i heard it takes about two hours, not sure tho.
i had a question if anybody knows if you take a boat to rincon, does it come back to pick you up at a certain time?
Yes. Same for Fronton.

ElizaJ

Oct 15, 2008
yep take a local guide, and becareful there are a few characters that cant be trusted. we had an unpleasant encounter with a group of young adult HAITIANS in la playita, is a shame that people like that can be found in the beautiful community of las galeras. if you ever come across this people just walk away, dont try to be TOO nice because if you do mingle with the wrong ones, they will not leave you alone.

ElizaJ

Oct 15, 2008
We rented a 4-wheeler to visit Playa Rincon, Playa El Valle and Playa Colorada. i had a hand injury so we took planty pauses in between, to playa Rincon it took us about 1 hour with the 4-wheeler, but if you take the yolla( water taxi) it takes about 10-15 minutes to get there. To playa El Valle it took us 2 good hours, the land scenery was beautiful!, the beach to me was not appealing at all, but the country scene was great, if you drive your self be very careful the hills are very, very steep and slipery, there are many gulches :S. Playa Colorada had been privatized, we were allowed to get in on foot and it wasnt worth the trip. the water was very rough, it would be almost impossible for an inexperienced swimmer to dive in. ther was another side of it but we were not allowed to be there. anyhow i hope this is helpful,.