Fish Markets

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Has anyone come across a fresh fish/seafood market in the city or near the malecon (westside).

Do fishermen sell their catch from the boat upon return like most caribe countries?

The selection and prices in supermarkets is horrible.

I love chillo but very overpriced and far from fresh in the supermarkets

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
I don't know any place at the Malecon, maybe there are.

There's a small shop selling fish and seafood at Ab. Lincoln towards the sea right hand side before reaching Jose Contreras, they have lots on ice but sometimes also fresh.
Haven't been there in a while.

Another option is restaurant Samurai behind Uniplaza (27 Feb/Lincoln), they have a fishshop beside and Sushi quality (filets) of Salmon, Dorado, Robalo, Guatapana.
Bit expensive but you have no cleaning work.

Other option is Supermercado Amigo at NACO located at Mejia Ricart after Tiradentes, they get fresh Chillo twice a week at 10 am. and by 1pm they are sold.
Tell the owner (Spaniard) to give yoy a call when they arrive.

Good luck, GALK

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Fish Market on Ave 27 Febrero

In looking for a fish market in the capital I came across the web site for this place on Ave 27 Febrero called Marisco Centro . .:: Template 16 ::. I have not been there yet. There is no phone # listed on the web site and it looks expensive but I may try it.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
I drive almost daily to Juan Dolio, and in my way, I stop in the road, before free zone and there are some fishermans selling Lobster. they have very fair price and they are fresh. sometimes still alive. They may have fish too. but I prefer to buy fish at Supermercado Nacional
Marisco Centro used to be very good when they opened, but all of sudden, the quality was going down and prices going up, so I stopped. Havent been there in almost 5 years, so I cant comment how it is right now.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I drive almost daily to Juan Dolio, and in my way, I stop in the road, before free zone and there are some fishermans selling Lobster. they have very fair price and they are fresh. sometimes still alive. They may have fish too. but I prefer to buy fish at Supermercado Nacional
Marisco Centro used to be very good when they opened, but all of sudden, the quality was going down and prices going up, so I stopped. Havent been there in almost 5 years, so I cant comment how it is right now.

What about the fish they sell by the floating bridge? Have you tried that? Would it be safe to eat?

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
What about the fish they sell by the floating bridge? Have you tried that? Would it be safe to eat?

I havent see it, but I dont think it would be safe to buy fish in the streets.
the lobsters I mean, they catch in La Caleta, and I buy them from a trusted person. they catch it every day and some are still alive.
I cook it perfectly at the grill, and believe me I have not eat any better lobster in the country. and thats include Capitan Cook, Boca Marina and El Nepturno.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I havent see it, but I dont think it would be safe to buy fish in the streets.
the lobsters I mean, they catch in La Caleta, and I buy them from a trusted person. they catch it every day and some are still alive.
I cook it perfectly at the grill, and believe me I have not eat any better lobster in the country. and thats include Capitan Cook, Boca Marina and El Nepturno.

Are these the lobsters? See post #14
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/98814-fermented-black-beans-lobster-sauce.html

Leaving Santo Domingo as soon as you cross the floating bridge make a right towards Avenida Espana. There is always someone there selling fish. I have no idea where they caught the fish at or what kind it is. Maybe next time I will stop and give the fish the smell and clear eye test.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com

Leaving Santo Domingo as soon as you cross the floating bridge make a right towards Avenida Espana. There is always someone there selling fish. I have no idea where they caught the fish at or what kind it is. Maybe next time I will stop and give the fish the smell and clear eye test.

Yes those are.
Lobsters are very easy to see if they are fresh. look at the tail meat, it has to be white. also you can smell it. I have been buying these lobster for over 5years and never had any problem.
What I normally do, is to buy it when returning from Juan Dolio, and cook it inmediately (without being refrigerated)
after you pass the toll, you have to drive about 5 mins. take the left lane and keep your eyes looking at the ocean side. you will see 4 or 5 guys stand with few lobsters in hands. try to bargain a little, because they start with high prices. I normally pay around 225pesos/pound for large lobsters and 175pesos for langostinos. I found out that when i return late from Juan Dolio prices are cheaper(they dont want to return home with those lobsters)

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

Roll down your window, as you pass. You can normally give them the smell test from that distance. You don't have to get close, and they are caught out of the river. From the bridge down there is a lot of salt water mixed with the fresh. plus all the food floating down from the barrios. yuk

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Roll down your window, as you pass. You can normally give them the smell test from that distance. You don't have to get close, and they are caught out of the river. From the bridge down there is a lot of salt water mixed with the fresh. plus all the food floating down from the barrios. yuk

yuk? Sometimes I ask myself if they are selling this same fish to restaurants you and I may dine at. One never knows ???????

Pedro Tercero

Dec 22, 2006
Lobster to die for

Johnny,

If you are headed into Santo Domingo on Las Americas, and the lobster sellers are on the ocean side, how do you get across the racetrack to negotiate. Sounds dangerous. Are they on the shoulder of the road closest to the ocean, on the side headed toward Juan Dolio or are they on the side of the road headed into Santo Domingo.

I love to grill but have never done lobster. Do you put the whole thing on the grill or just the tail. Do you season it before you put it over the coals, or after cooking is complete.

Pedro Tercero

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Johnny,

If you are headed into Santo Domingo on Las Americas, and the lobster sellers are on the ocean side, how do you get across the racetrack to negotiate. Sounds dangerous...........

The lobster sellers are on the ocean side of Las Americas. Traveling the opposite direction at 80 kph it would be difficult to tell who is selling what. If you do see someone selling lobster you would have to proceed to the next U-turn (returno aeropuerto).

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Johnny,

If you are headed into Santo Domingo on Las Americas, and the lobster sellers are on the ocean side, how do you get across the racetrack to negotiate. Sounds dangerous. Are they on the shoulder of the road closest to the ocean, on the side headed toward Juan Dolio or are they on the side of the road headed into Santo Domingo.

I love to grill but have never done lobster. Do you put the whole thing on the grill or just the tail. Do you season it before you put it over the coals, or after cooking is complete.

Pedro Tercero

Pedro, the lobster sellers are on the ocean side. but, if this gonna be your first time, is better to stop in the west-east direction.
I know exactly where they are, so I stop when returning home from juan dolio.
there is an area verde, where you can stop your car safety, and blow the horn.
they will come.

Fresh lobster does not need much season. I just rub with butter, garlic and white wine while cooking. you have to cut the whole lobster in 2 half.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
http://
28kodx4.jpg

pregnant lobster. I bought this one yesterday 2.5lbs for 450pesos
I wont buy more until july-august when they finish to reproduce. it feel sad to see the waste of 100?s of lobsters.

23wttg8.jpg

Here the way you cut dominican lobster to grill or bake.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
28kodx4.jpg

pregnant lobster. I bought this one yesterday 2.5lbs for 450pesos
I wont buy more until july-august when they finish to reproduce. it feel sad to see the waste of 100?s of lobsters.

23wttg8.jpg

Here the way you cut dominican lobster to grill or bake.

Hey Johnny,

The tomalley and roe is the best part of the lobster in my opinion.;)

Larry Spencer

Apr 27, 2010
I drive by them so many times and have never stopped. In fact, I drove past there several times today and when I finally saw them on my way home I had to turn to my wife and say, hey, there are the lobster guys. After looking at the photos, I'll have to stop next time.

Pedro Tercero

Dec 22, 2006
Just the Place you wanted, OP?

I just ran across a little place on the north side of 27. They have some frozen mero fillets, like everyone, but they also have fresh, clear eyed, red gilled fish in coolers under ice. I have not bought any of their fish yet, but when I run out of the dorado we caught last week, that is where we are going to get all our fish from now on....unless they really screw up somehow. They told me they will prep it any way I want; scaled with or without head, filleted, cut in wheels, etc.

The place is called Pescaderia Marino. It is almost impossible to see from 27. Phone number on their card is 809 227 1451. It is the next store past an auto accessory store, as you are heading out of town toward Fuerzas Armadas. If I remember right, it is a bit before you get to Nunez de Caceres.

They also had frozen lobster tails for RD450/pound.

I hope this helps. If these guys do well, we will have a good place to get fresh fish. The supermarkets try, but I almost always seem to have some kind of problem with them or their product.

Pedro Tercero