return trip ticket?

E

elise

HEY!
I wanted to know if local foreigners always have to buy a return trip ticket to their country of origin when coming to the DR even if they have a visa? When coming back from Christmas, I was thoroughly pissed that TWA made me buy a return ticket. They said it was because of DR laws, but they didn't make me do it the first time I came over. What gives?...I have a visa and have no idea when or if I'm heading back to the US,....so it makes no sense! Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Gracias,
elise

E

ECH, M.D.

I would DEMAND a written guarantee that the ticket was good WHEN I departed. Most tickets are valid for ONE year from date of issue. For that reason, Demand that it be valid when you choose to depart. I lost a ticket because I stayed for about 18 months before returning. Now I am wise to their scheme.

D

dominicano

Also please be advised that TWA has already agreed to be bought out by American. In six months there will probably be no TWA.

S

Sherri

I am coming to DR from Canada in September and I don't know How long I'll be staying. Should I just buy a 1 week round trip and then buy a 1 way back to Canada when I return home?

E

ECH, M.D.

YOU MAY HAVE YOUR TICKET EXTENDED, FOR A FEE, FOR UP TO ONE YEAR.

A

A.J.

For the canadians/iens it is alot easier to buy a ticket that way and can be a lot cheaper. There are many companies all over the country who run year round, find out the numbers of all the companies that will be close to your area. A one way ticket can run you US$250-350, you will most likely be flying stand by. Keep in mind also that during Reading week/ Spring Break it will be harder for you to get a ticket.

For my US brothers and Sisters we do not have this luxury yet of year round charter flights, so we will still be paying the prices that TWA/American/Continental/Northwest set out for us during the off season.