Should I get a lease agreement if I rent a habitaciones from someone in Santo Doming?

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
Should I get some type of written lease agreemet or written contract agreement from a private person renting a habitaciones in Santo Domingo? I am using listin diaro newswpaper as one of my sources of possible leads. I want to be in the hotel from no more than 5 days before I rent a habitaciones. Inform me also neighborhoods not to rent a habitaciones in also.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Should I get some type of written lease agreemet or written contract agreement from a private person renting a habitaciones in Santo Domingo? I am using listin diaro newswpaper as one of my sources of possible leads. I want to be in the hotel from no more than 5 days before I rent a habitaciones. Inform me also neighborhoods not to rent a habitaciones in also.

To supply valuable advice first a few questions;

First a written contract is a must and the landlord will usually insist and may require a Guarantor(fiador)-this contract will be drawn up by their lawyer in Spanish so you want to have some you trust to read if Spanish is a challenge.

Have you found a place?
What size(beds baths etc.)
What area do you like or do you know?
What is the term length of stay here?
What is your ceiling price? Consider the extra on average of at least 200usd /month for electricity/one landline and basic internet.
Will you work or go to school here-meaning do you need to transport on regular basis?
Will you have motor transportation?
What is important to you in the area that you want to reside? Safety, proximity to amenities etc.

With these answers we can give you accurate advice. Myself i was a Realtor in Canada years ago but not in the business here, just have the experience of about 5 moves and all the issues that go with it. Free advice!

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
To supply valuable advice first a few questions;

First a written contract is a must and the landlord will usually insist and may require a Guarantor(fiador)-this contract will be drawn up by their lawyer in Spanish so you want to have some you trust to read if Spanish is a challenge

Most of the ads in Listin Diario say nothing about needing a Guarantor(fiador). I could just a rent a room at a decent hotel until I figure this out. Maybe a pretty Dominican women will have me move in with her. Just kidding. My first priority is to find a job in Santo Domingo. Or I have some other job prospects on Puerto Plata or in Santiago.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
to rent a room in a house you dont need fiador. some places will ask you for 1 or 2 months deposits.
dominican families rent normally to young students who spend most time at the university.
there are some buildings that rent Studios. I think this is your best choice. I know there is one close to Intec, but they fill very quick.

May 29, 2006
Actually I moved in with a Dominican woman for a while before I got my apartment. Hotels are a lot cheaper!