Puerto Plata info

S

StrayCat

Usually I stay in the Punta Cana area, but received a gift of one week at Jack Tar, Puerto Plata. I used the database here to check out the resort, seems ok. I am wondering about the beach. Is it a good one? I know nothing about this area of DR. Any good diving/snokeling? How to get to the south, is there a bus or tour? Please recommend a good tour operator. What is your favorite, don't miss, tour from here? Thanks!

B

Bob Morris

You will find a number of tour operators operating out of the Playa Dorada Plaza, a small shoping mall within Playa Dorada, which is where Jack Tar is located.

I have no recommendation or preference, their rates are fairly competetive and service is much the same.

M

Matt Juba

The beach is ok only. The beach at Sosua is much better (app 20 mins. away). There is also no diving or snorkeling - there is lots at Sosua - many scuba operators (Northcoast!) and a reef. Another 11km past Sosua is Cabarete with great waves, windsurfing and surfing nearby.

J

JERRY DEAN

WE ARE GOING TO JACK TAR FEB 1 TO FEB 15. WHEN IS YOURS? WE ARE A COUPLE FROM UPSTATE NY IN OUR 50 /// JERRY

R

Reyna

I was at the Jack Tar, the beach is beautiful! The resort is very nice, I was there a week and have no complaints!

S

StrayCat

I will be going in May, Jerry! Thanks for the inquiry tho! I was hoping that diving or snokeling would be on site, but I can see from another post, that will not be the case. I am sure I will enjoy myself, none the less! Let me know how you find it, and I hope you have a wonderful vacation!

S

StrayCat

Oops Jerry , note my corrected email addy!!! also, I am going to DR the end of Oct, not May! I will be going to Key Largo in May! Please let me know if you go on any of the tours, and if they were enjoyable, who was the tour operator. Thanks !

S

StrayCat

which way is sosua? northeast from Playa Dorado? Is there transportation or will I need to rent a car? What do you mean that the beach is ok ONLY? LOLOL, does that mean it is NOT really very nice? thanks for your help!

S

StrayCat

thanks Reyna!! I was worried about the beach! I am use to those gorgeous beaches down at the southeast end of the island. Glad to hearJack Tar is good!

M

Matt Juba

Puerto Plata, Playa Dorada and Sosua are all located on the Northcoast. The main highway runs along the coast which means generally in an east/west direction. The airport, although called POP is just west of and is extremely close to Sosua. When you leave the airport to go to Playa Dorada you are travelling west. If you continue west past Playa Dorada you will come to Puerto Plata. It may help to look at a map online to orient yourself.

To answer your questions, Sosua is east of Playa Dorada. If you are going to try to take a guagua or publico you walk out of the main gate and cross the road to get the easterly traffic.

As I have stated in another post on this board, you can take a guagua or publico, but this assumes you know where you are going. For a first time traveller I would recommend you hire a cab. For RD$350-400 they will drop you off at the beach entrance and pick you up at an appointed hour. DO NOT PAY UNTIL THE RETURN TRIP!! Many posts on this board have warned about the hazards of renting and driving in the DR. You are much better hiring a cab or taking local transportation. It is safe.

Once you get to the beach you rent chairs from the guys on the beach (RD$20-35 depending on your bargaining skills). They will also bring you drinks, food and any other necessaries.

As far as the PD beach - I don't care for it personally. The beach is more exposed to waves and there are rocks but no reef to speak of. The beach is narrower and not orientated for maximum sun if you are serious about tanning. There is no scuba or snorkelling to speak of.

The beaches about 11 kms. further east of Sosua around Cabarete are excellant for windsurfing, surfing and similar activities, some of which are attempted at PD but without much apparent success.

If you have more questions feel free to email me. Also, see my recent post on this board about local transportation. It's cheap, fun, safe and gives you an inside view of the people.

S

StrayCat

Thanx Matt & all

After reading the posts regarding the consequences of having a driving accident, local transportation will just have to do!! Thanks for the heads up re: the beach. I am sure that I will not care for it, after enjoying the beutiful beaches of Punta Cana area. Wish I was staying in Sosua area! too late, but I am sure I will find interesting things to check out.....once I get myself over to Sosua at any rate! LOL

J

jim

What is the difference between a guagua and a publico? I need to take a taxi from the airport at POP to Jack Tar? Do I need to speak spanish, pay in pesos or dollars and negotiate first? Any advise would be helpful. Thanks!