help me choose a beach town plz..

gregs317

May 18, 2007
Hi, I'm hoping to visit the DR this June. Looking for a cool beach town to relax in. Would love to see some natural beauty, visit local markets for fresh produce, etc. I'd also like to have a disco nearby to enjoy some Merengue. I want to enjoy the beach and do some swimming/snorkeling.

I don't want to be near a bunch of all inclusive resorts. Preferably would like to find a room for about $US 50 or less. I'm seeking a private room, not a dorm room, by the way.

So far, I'm thinking Sosua, Las Galeras, or Las Terrenas. Please suggest a town for me. I'm not fluent but I know a little bit of Spanish. Thanks, Greg

May 29, 2006
I'm starting to lean more to Caberete more than Sosua, but they both have their pluses and minuses. I liked Hotel Kaoba in Caberete which was not too pricey and a short walk to the beach which is large and bordered by hotels and restaurants, but nothing too imposing. Caberete is more for younger folks since it is a great destination for wind surfers and kite boarders. Many of the bartenders are European surfer girls so there is a large transient younger demographic there. One of the things that is a big negative is the main highway goes right through the middle of town so you have to be careful crossing the street all the time.

Sosua is more like a town but it can be seedy at night since it is a common destination for sex tourism. You can stay clear of it if you want, but you would have to call it a night by about 10PM. It is also more popular as an ex-patriot community and there are several thousand older European and Canadians there. Maybe five Americans too! It is weird but I only knew a handful of Americans in Sosua. You will have a lot more contact with Dominicans in Sosua than Caberete. The beach in Sosua is smaller, has shade and some 200 tiny shops and bars called casitas. For some this is a plus and others this is a minus.

I think Las Terranas would be out of your price range, but I would love to hear that it is more affordable.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cabrera, further east or Rio San Juan. Within reasonable distance of airport in POP, and have beaches, scenery and nice people.
Las Galeras is wonderful...we love it. Also a good choice.
Punta Rucia is isolated, out of the way. No luxury at all, that I have seen....

Hb

gregs317

May 18, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I had considered Cabarete originally, but I'm really not into water sports (kite surfing, etc.), and i was under the impression that the water was rougher in this area. I really would like to do some swimming and wading in the ocean.

I will research Cabrera and Rio San Juan. Will I be able to get to a disco in either of these towns - for some Merengue music?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I had considered Cabarete originally, but I'm really not into water sports (kite surfing, etc.), and i was under the impression that the water was rougher in this area. I really would like to do some swimming and wading in the ocean.

I will research Cabrera and Rio San Juan. Will I be able to get to a disco in either of these towns - for some Merengue music?

Cabarete bay is usually calmer in the mornings and late evenings. Kiters and windsurfers make use of the water from roughly 11am-6pm when the winds are good and while you can wade, swimming at those times could put you inadvertently in the path of a kiter or windsurfer who's not paying attention.

I have a friend from Germany that comes to Cabarete 3 or more times a year and she swims the bay point to point & back every morning, and often again in the evening. She swims maybe 20-25 yards from shore beyond the break of the waves. She swims rather leisurely and takes maybe 90 minutes or so. She does this in all seasons of the year, so if you are a swimmer - it can be done.

As for dancing, there's a restaurant/bar on the beach in the center of Cabarete called Calamar. Salsa, merengue, bachata nightly. Also dance lessons available in center of town if you want to get in a little dancing during the day http://www.a-bailar.net

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
Hi, I'm hoping to visit the DR this June. Looking for a cool beach town to relax in. Would love to see some natural beauty, visit local markets for fresh produce, etc. I'd also like to have a disco nearby to enjoy some Merengue. I want to enjoy the beach and do some swimming/snorkeling.

I don't want to be near a bunch of all inclusive resorts. Preferably would like to find a room for about $US 50 or less. I'm seeking a private room, not a dorm room, by the way.

So far, I'm thinking Sosua, Las Galeras, or Las Terrenas. Please suggest a town for me. I'm not fluent but I know a little bit of Spanish. Thanks, Greg

Sosua and Cabarete are very touristical places, especially Sosua.
If you like nature and typical Dominican life go to Samana.

Las Terrenas has miles of best beaches around and a good nightlife,too.
Las Galeras is smaller, a little bit sleepy, but also has some discos and nice beaches for swimming and snorkelling around.

To find a room: there?re some postings in this forum (Samana) or look here.

Saludos

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the replies. I had considered Cabarete originally, but I'm really not into water sports (kite surfing, etc.), and i was under the impression that the water was rougher in this area. I really would like to do some swimming and wading in the ocean.

Yes, D'Frank in Rio San Juan is open every night. The Laguna Disco is open in the weekends.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
the samana peninsula (las terrenas and las galaras) would be my choice. the only difficulty is in getting there as there are no flights from the US and you must fly into santo domingo or puerta plata and transfer to there. Pen?nsula de Saman?, Rep?blica Dominicana - SAMANA PENINSULASamana Peninsula, samana bay, beautiful beaches, coconut palms, golden sand, turquoise water, hidden, solitary, wild, ciguayos, cristopher columbus.
?*?*? HoTEL CaSa ROBINSON *?*?* Santo Domingo - PENISOLA Di SAMANA' - Las Terrenas - Caraibi
Kari Beach Hotel Las Terrenas
JuanyLolo, Vacation Rental Las Galeras, Samana, Dominican Republic: Villa Rental & Condo Rental
El Cabito

this is just a sample of a few places that seem to match your needs. there are many threads on this site for best ways to get to samana if you search. good luck and a happy vacation to you, ben

kmorris

Feb 20, 2006
Greg,
From the way it sounds, I think you would enjoy your stay in Rio San Juan. There are some beautiful beaches in the area, as well as good snorkeling, and the town is as laid back as it gets. I know there is a disco or two, like Tor mentioned, but we do not really go to discos although we did stop by one of them to have a couple of grande's. There is also a nice little hotel (Bahia Blanca) there that is oceanfront for about $35 a night, but it is no frills - no a/c, no tv, no phone. But it does have an awesome atmosphere, friendly staff, and restaurant which is open for breakfast and dinner. We really enjoy our stays here.

Kelsey

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
If you want swimming and snorkelling then forget Cabarete. It certainly has the night life going for it but is very North American and the prices are way up for food etc. Sosua is much quieter and the swimming and snorkelling are great and as mentioned before you will meet a lot more of the locals there than in Cabarete. The little time we have spent in Las Terennas, we found the area very beautiful and the beaches as awesome but couldn't tell you about the prices and night life.

gregs317

May 18, 2007
At this point, I think it'll be either Las Galeras or Las Terrenas. I'm hoping to avoid renting a car, so is it better to fly into Santo Domingo or Puerto Plata? Are there good bus connections? Thanks, Greg

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
Hi Greg!

That depends on your arrival-time.

It?s a long way from POP to Samana, minimum 3,5 hours to Sanchez. There was a bus from Puerto Plata to Sanchez/Samana, but only once a day (if I remeber right). After you had to continue your way by guagua, but this could be difficult at nighttime.

From SDQ there?s also a bus to Samana and guaguas, too, using the new highway. Look here or perhaps ask your question again in the Samana-part of this forum.

Saludos

wimbleton

Apr 15, 2009
LAS TERRENAS PRICEYAND VERY FRENCH. LAS GALERAS RAW,SLEEPY,THE END OF THE ROAD .THE BAY RAW BEAUTY .VERY ...IN THE BEGINNING ...ONE DISCO.OUTSIDE AND ONE INSIDE...SAFE EUROPEANS HAVE BUILT NICE HOMES .YOU CAN STAY AT MARCOS OCEAN VIEW FOR 1000 A NIGHT IF STAYING FOR ATLEAST AWEEK AT THIS TIME OF YEAR hIGH SEASON .NOTHING FANCY .3 TO4 HOURS FROM SANTO DOMINGO , ABOUT THE SAMEFOR POP AIRPORT SHORT TRIP CABARETE 4 SAFETY AND TRAVEL IN DAY TO SOSUA FOR A CHANGE UNLESS YOUR A NIGHT OWL THEN DO THE REVERSE.

gregs317

May 18, 2007
I'm very interested in the Kari Hotel in Las Terrenas, it looks perfect for me. It mentions on the website that the high season is Dec. 15 - April 30 and July 15 to Sept. 15. So if I'm traveling there the end of June, that's 'low season', correct? I just want to make sure before I make any reservations. Thanks, Greg

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I've stayed at the Kari Beach several times over the past few years and enjoy it very much. Antonio is a wonderful host and the hotel is managed very, very well. A hearty early breakfast is included in the rate and Antonio recently began making homemade pizza for lunch that is delicious. There are no telephones or televisions in the rooms, however, there is free wifi and a balcony. High season begins on July 15, but to make sure, all you need do is ask Antonio what the rate will be for your visit. Tell him that Ron sends his best regards and will be there in May.

alexa777

Jan 23, 2010
Hello, I had a similar dilemma and found this place ecocampolasangria.com very happy as the place seems nice. Calmer and truly hope not too crowded.