Can I get a Dominican Visa in Cuba ? plz urgent

sybillecutey

May 16, 2007
Hi people, I'm supposed to travel to Cuba from the DR next week, but I'm haitian.I'm renewing my residency card (so I dont have it with me) and my Dominican visa is expired and there's no way I can go back to Haiti and renew it because of the earthquake situation. Can I just go to Cuba and get a Dominican visa there in order for me to come back to the DR ? plz let me know, it's kinda urgent ! thanks !!!!!!

Mar 2, 2008
I think your best bet would be to check with the Cuban Embassy in the DR.

Cuban Embassy in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Embassy of Cuba in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Calle 3ra Interior, N 34,
esquina a Privada, El Millon
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
City: Santo Domingo
Phone: (+1 809) 537-2113
Fax: (+1 809) 537-9820
Email: consular@codetel.net.do

sybillecutey

May 16, 2007
thanks, but I dont think the Cuban embassy can do anything for me (I already have the tourist card, so Im able to enter Cuba), it's the Dominican republic I'm concerned about. I made some research and there's a Dominican embassy over there in Cuba.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
thanks, but I dont think the Cuban embassy can do anything for me (I already have the tourist card, so Im able to enter Cuba), it's the Dominican republic I'm concerned about. I made some research and there's a Dominican embassy over there in Cuba.

I was waiting for more info because I'm having a hard time understanding. Might be old age ;)

Let me see if I have it right. You are trying to renew your Dominican Residency card? Why can't you do this in the DR? Are you still in the DR?

sybillecutey

May 16, 2007
Hi Anna !
I'm renewing my residency here in the DR, however my lawyer tells me that she us unable to provide some sort of letter allowing me re-entry to the DR (once I get back from Cuba). So I was wondering if I can go to Cuba and get my Dominican visa once i'm there.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think I understand now. So hard to say what they will do isn't it.

Maybe you can contact the Dominican Embassy in Cuba before going. What would happen if the DR will not allow you to enter right? I don't know why your lawyer can't give you something saying you are renewing your DR residency or when re-entering the Dominican Immigration could contact her to verify your status in the DR

Dominican Republic Embassy , Cuba
Ave. 5ta. No.9202, e/ 92 y 94
Playa
Havana
Cuba
Phone:
+53-7-2048429
+53-7-2048430
Fax:
+53-7-2048431

Maybe someone else has a better suggestion

Good luck

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, Anna, I have a better suggestion.

Don't go. Stay here and complete your residency requirements, then go.

I don't think anybody can guarantee what will happen when you return if you do not complete your residency.

You are right to be worried. Be safe and stay in the DR until you have evidence that you are a resident. With the number of Haitians trying to flee Haiti because of the earthquake, you may be treated as just one more Haitian trying to get into the DR and dealt with in the same way all the rest are at teh time of your return.

Personally, even if your lawyer gave you a letter, I wouldn't put much stock in that. You will still be a Haitian who is not a resident of the DR.

sybillecutey

May 16, 2007
Yes, Anna, I have a better suggestion.

Don't go. Stay here and complete your residency requirements, then go.

I don't think anybody can guarantee what will happen when you return if you do not complete your residency.

You are right to be worried. Be safe and stay in the DR until you have evidence that you are a resident. With the number of Haitians trying to flee Haiti because of the earthquake, you may be treated as just one more Haitian trying to get into the DR and dealt with in the same way all the rest are at teh time of your return.

Personally, even if your lawyer gave you a letter, I wouldn't put much stock in that. You will still be a Haitian who is not a resident of the DR.

Well I have a dominican cedula, and I can show them the copy of my residency card. I dont know if it will work. Someone told me I can get a permiso de reentrada @ migracion in Santo Domingo.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A cedula is better than nothing. But whenever I return from a trip to US they want to see my residency card, not my cedula. That may be, however, so they know whether to charge the tourist fee.

If you can get an official paper from the government, you should be alright. Your attorney may not be able to give you a letter that does any good, but should know, or be able to find out, whether you can get such a document from migracion.

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
Hey
I Know a Cuban who was in your same exact situation about 3 months ago,Living in Haiti/DR needed to Travel Cuba urgently but had to Travel to DR from Cuba with no time to go to Haiti to renew his papers.To make a long story short Yes the Dominican Embassy in Havana was able to Help,but it was a very slow process cause they had to get approval from Santo Domingo and it took 6 weeks to just get Travel Permission..mind you this was before the Haitian Earthquake so things might even be slower now.So I would highly suggest you either postpone your Cuban Trip til you have your Dominican Papers in order or just be ready to wait in Cuba.I personally wouldnt trust what youre told over the phone in the Dominican Embassy in Havana as they are very unreliable and often give you wrong info IMHO
Good Luck