Winemaking

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
Is it legal at the DR to make wine at home for one's own consumption? Just checking if I'm gonna have to put the hobby on hold.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I haven't heard of anyone being arrested for that and although I do not know what the laws are I am sure you have nothing to worry about.

In the DR they have the Tourist Police ( Politur ), AMET for Traffic and the DNCD for Drugs and major crime but they don't have any Wine Police

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I haven't heard of anyone being arrested for that and although I do not know what the laws are I am sure you have nothing to worry about.

In the DR they have the Tourist Police ( Politur ), AMET for Traffic and the DNCD for Drugs and major crime but they don't have anyWine Police

They would need to establish a whole Ministry of Whiners to police this site if they ever enforced whining!

Reactions: mike l

noni

Mar 30, 2009
Wine Club

The president of Club de Vinos y Gastronomia in Santiago can maybe answer this question for you, his name is Rafael Pucheu and his number is 809-241-6550.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I think the question is, is one required to apply for any license, right or pay some tax to produce an alcoholic beverage -even for own consumption- legally and thus avoid to become a moonshiner. In some countries even brewing is state regulated, in most distillation certainly is.

I really do not know about the DR.

... J-D.

viajar

Feb 19, 2009
I heard about a year and a half ago that there have been some vines planted in the south east. I have not heard if they have started producing.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I suggest you get in touch with Lord Ducksplatt, he was the original North Coast vintner of several fine bathtub brews.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
This thread begs the followup question; is homebrewing legal in the DR and are the supplies available?

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
Gitana. I'm curious, where would you get your juice? Assuming you're using juice.

I'm just starting, but this is the place where I got my supplies...

Home Brew Beer Supply - Home brew beer kits - Keg Equipment - Draft Beer

If them shipping is a problem I guess they can mail it to one of my many nieces or nephews in Florida and we'll go from there

I'm also interested in tropical fruits, which should not be a problem there

Wine gift baskets, buy fresh fruit wine online, online fruit wine store

Gitana-

Jan 13, 2010
Thank you everybody for your responses. I will post anything else I find out about the subject.

In Florida the current state of the law is that you can brew/make up to 200 gallons/year for you own consumption and you can give it away to your friends. As long as you're not selling any you're ok.

We'll see about the DR.

Thanks again