Moving to Dominican Republic

S

Sherry

I have some questions regarding elementary schools and bring dogs and cats from the US to the Dominican Republic. I am planning on moving to LaRomana in July and want to know the best way to go about this. Can someone help me?

R

Reyna

You can bring dogs & cats, just have a copy of their records of shots, I think they need recent rabies shots (within 1 year) There is no quarantine that I know of.

H

hillbilly

This has been amply talked about in the archives,

I know how people feel about their pets.
1) Be aware that Dominican, nearly all, do not regard any pets as Americans do. Cats are used for rats, period. Dogs to keep people out and to eat the scraps. Period.
2) To bring your animals here you need:
a)Vet's Certificate of Rabies vaccination and overall good health
b)Said Vet's Certificate to nearest Dominican Consul for stamping (pay fee) and "Oficializaci?n"-whatever...
c) Travelling cages etc.
d) Airline tickets for them or be sure to have arrangements done before-way before-you get to the airport.
3)Be aware that rabies is a fact of life in this country, as are ticks and fleas. No Lyme Disease yet, but it might make it with or with out deers.

HB

B

Brenda

Since I have just moved to LaRomana with my 2 cats, I thought that I should point out that if you fly American Airlines they require that the "Certificate of Health" be completed within 15 days and like Hillbilly stated that is sent to the consulate and you must have that paperwork with you and your pets. In other words-check with your airlines for their requirements. Also, the fee changed from the time that I contacted the consulate in October and when it came time to send in the paperwork in November.

S

Sherry

I have looking for more information about job searched and schools for my daughter. Does anyone have information on work visas and how difficult are they to get. What type of jobs would people recommend, etc.

A

Algena

Remember to keep cats safely at home. Cat stew is considered an aphrodisiac and also a cure for asthma