Dominican slang for "Moocher"

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2006
There is a gesture they use for being a tightwad where the left arm is lifted up in a fist and hit their elbow with their right hand. You see it a lot when people are negotiating price. It kind of means, "You are trying to cut my arm off."

You could use the word "pordiosero", but that means more like someone who is poor and begging rather than someone who is doing fine and not paying their share. Most Dominicans would prob use the more generic "pendejo" or the more vulgar, "c*nyo."

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Meaning:
Someone who mooches or cadges (tries to get something free)
Classified under:
Nouns denoting people
Synonyms:
cadger; mooch; moocher; scrounger
Hypernyms ("moocher" is a kind of...):
beggar; mendicant (a pauper who lives by begging)
Hyponyms (each of the following is a kind of "moocher"):
schnorrer; shnorrer ((Yiddish) a scrounger who takes advantage of the generosity of others)

it may help if we get the English meaning first, in the uk

ie what are you doing ? Im just mooching around the shops (maybe its just me that uses it this way lol -looking for a bargain)-

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Meaning:
Classified under:
Nouns denoting people
Synonyms:
schnorrer; shnorrer ((Yiddish) a scrounger who takes advantage of the generosity of others)

ie what are you doing ? Im just mooching around the shops (maybe its just me that uses it this way lol -looking for a bargain)-

I agree, jr.... if I was called a 'moocher', I would expect to be browsing and wandering reasonably aimslessly about have a good 'mooch'!!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Meaning:
Classified under:
Nouns denoting people
Synonyms:

Acording with your explanation a moocher in Spanish is a:

1-Aprovechado
2-Un aventajado

JJ

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
Malapaga is the right word ! words associated to mal pagadores - sinverguenza, descarado, ladronazo, mama ..., etc.. :D

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
bachata, ah si.. un aprovechado.. include that word associated to mal pagadores :)

That's why there's so many no fiamos signs.. yet they love to fiar to clients who have jobs or spouses/relatives in Nueva Yol :D

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Same word, different meaning

I'm always fascinated with how the same words can have small differences of meaning. In this case, I find interesting the variance between the UK usage of the word and the US usage of the word.

In the US, to "mooch" is derogatory, implying someone who takes advantage of others' generosity. A good example: a person who consistently goes out to eat with a group but always conveniently leaves his wallet at home would definitely be considered a moocher. I heard of a fellow once who went from friend to friend's home sleeping on couches because he would not get a job. He was mooching off of friends.

Even more interesting, the same sort of variance plays out in Spanish, though there is not an exact translation.

In Mexico, for example, the person would probably be called a "codo" (literally, "elbow"), a person who is very, very tight with money and won't pay unless absolutely necessary.

Central Americans use the word "taca?o" for the same sort of person.

I'm not sure this helps answer the original question, but I do hope it adds to the discussion.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree with MrMike on this one. Mala paga is NOT the same as "lamb?n" or "aprovechador" or "vividor" or "bulto" which are all associated with people that do not pay their fair share. Mike , you beate me to by seconds!!

HB

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
bachata, ah si.. un aprovechado.. include that word associated to mal pagadores :)

That's why there's so many no fiamos signs.. yet they love to fiar to clients who have jobs or spouses/relatives in Nueva Yol :D

?Ay Dios! fulano es un abusador

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
so the correct word would be lambon? good word to know. I didnt have it in my limited Spanish vocabulary so thank you.

May 29, 2006
I heard of a fellow once who went from friend to friend's home sleeping on couches because he would not get a job. He was mooching off of friends.

The term most used in the U.S. for someone who is homeless but staying at numerous friends houses for short periods is often referred to as a "couch surfer." Not all are moochers(or even unemployed) and some will offer household services such as cleaning, minor repairs, and yard work. But if they were offering nothing in return, they being being called a "moocher."

"Bob and Karen broke up last month after a huge fight, so Karen moved all of his stuff into their garage and Bob has been couch-surfing since then trying to find a new place to live."

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
The term most used in the U.S. for someone who is homeless but staying at numerous friends houses for short periods is often referred to as a "couch surfer." Not all are moochers(or even unemployed) and some will offer household services such as cleaning, minor repairs, and yard work. But if they were offering nothing in return, they being being called a "moocher."

"Bob and Karen broke up last month after a huge fight, so Karen moved all of his stuff into their garage and Bob has been couch-surfing since then trying to find a new place to live."

That takes away from the basic english meaning of a moocher if they are doing something in return thats valuable.

A moocher is someone who brings nothing to the table and has everyone else pay for them.

Another good example is 2 people go out for lunch and 1 drives and the other pays for lunch. The driver is not a mooch because he or she provided the transportation to the location to eat.

In the US we use the terms "if your flying im buying" which to those who dont understand means if you go buy something we both want ill pay for the merchandise. I dont consider this mooching either while one person got to wait behind and relax the other used their gas and vehicle to go buy a 6 pack of beer for example.

May 29, 2006
Yes that was the point I was making. You are not a moocher if you are doing chores and at least making an attempt to repay in service in kind. But you are a moocher if you couch surf with no compensation. I had a typo there where I meant to say "risk being called a moocher."

The most common form of mooching you see in the US is people looking for free cigarttes in a bar. The joke goes:

Q: What kind of cigarettes do moochers smoke?

A: Yours..

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
dont you wish words had just one meaning - it would make life so much easier

moocher - someone who wanders about aimlessly

is this Call my Bluff ?

May 29, 2006
Apparently it is one of those words that has a different meaning in American vs British English. There is no point in arguing it. The OP is using the cheapskate meaning.

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
I agree with MrMike on this one. Mala paga is NOT the same as "lamb?n" or "aprovechador" or "vividor" or "bulto" which are all associated with people that do not pay their fair share. Mike , you beate me to by seconds!!

HB

But aprovechador (alguien que se aprovecha de cualquier situacion) is similar to someone who avoids paying, por eso mala paga.

I guess it's two meanings after all. Mala paga or aprovechador would be for someone who doesn't pay their debts at any cost. While aprovechador, oportunista or even lambon can be used for someone who hangs out and doesn't put their fair share.

Status
Not open for further replies.