North Coast Road work? Is it happening?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I saw and article which had this:

Puerto Plata ? Navarrete. Forty-five kilometers of this important road, which connects these two important north coast towns, is currently being refurbished.

Sosua-Rio San Juan (Playa Grande). This important road connects the region with Puerto Plata?s international airport.

Does anyone see any significant road work being done from Navarrete to Puerto Plata and Sosua to Rio San Juan?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I saw a lot of work on the Navarrete to POP road on my several trips over it in Feb, March and April. I did not see anything being done at the major spot where the landslide happened years ago. I have not made the trip since back then.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the road POP-navarete itself, the old one, that is, has received a little lift and a cleanup but zero work on the new road. few years ago they started working on it, right after navarete crossroads. the land was cleared and leveled. then the work stopped. then just meters away from the cleared part someone put up little houses, little fences and planted some stuff. probably wants money for the land now in the spirit of "i've been here for generations, i'm a padre de familia".

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I understand that the big job of converting the Navarrete to POP road to 4 lanes is on indefinite hold. I never expect that to happen since there are far more pressing projects for those that are in Santo Domingo :cool:

I was just wondering of the craters along certain sections were being repaired and repaired properly.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I understand that the big job of converting the Navarrete to POP road to 4 lanes is on indefinite hold. I never expect that to happen since there are far more pressing projects for those that are in Santo Domingo :cool:

I was just wondering of the craters along certain sections were being repaired and repaired properly.

Some areas had been widened and new layer of asphalt. Being "repaired properly" is a different discussion. lol

In the Star Hills area last month they were cleaning, repairing and building drainage ditches.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Windy, look at the story in Puerto Plata Habla news today. Minister of Tourism addresses that as well for definitive plans for Sosua Beach. Looks like it could happen.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
THe RSJ area has enjoyed some new roadwork..... in recognition of the 2 projects underway at Playa Grande.

The 'wigs' were in the area enough times to justify some work....I guess

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy, look at the story in Puerto Plata Habla news today. Minister of Tourism addresses that as well for definitive plans for Sosua Beach. Looks like it could happen.

The cruise ship port seems to be the driver that could make it happen. We will see.
(That article also states again that 300 beach vendors in Sosua will go, there will be a plaza built near the beach to sell the junk, er I mean the very nice souvenirs sold and more...).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Here is a Goolge Translation of that article tflea mentioned:

SANTO DOMNGO. - The Ministry of Tourism announced that the town of Sosua Beach, Puerto Plata, will be restored for tourists to enjoy the hassle fully enjoy sellers.

The minister, Francisco Javier Garc?a, reported to be removed at least 300 vendors that occupy more than four decades the sea between El Batey and Los Charamicos.

He reported that the mayor, the family Pastoriza, sellers and mediators they presented a project for the construction of a shopping plaza that will be transferred to such vendors.

? The most important thing about this project is that the parties have agreed, because the position which kept not allow entrepreneurs to invest nor the Government should therefore take advantage of this situation to seek a final solution ?, said the official.

Garcia said the province should prepare for the amount of tourists that will when it starts operations Maimon cruise terminal and expand the highway to four lanes Navarrete-Puerto Plata.

? We will meet with the Planning Department at the shortest, to discuss details of the work, so that it fulfills all the requirements of place and the end of September would be starting the construction of the work ? he argued.

He said that the project includes the construction of two shopping malls and parking lots, which will solve the traffic problem of the city and access to the beach, and a broker will enable a recreational area for sports.

"In total, the squares will have about 250 retail units or modules, built on one level, simulating a small city, where visitors will move, leaving the free beach informal trade that users can enjoy its true beauty" he explained.

The delegation was composed of representatives of the sellers of the beaches, Pastoriza family, the mayor of Sosua, Ilana Neumann. Mediators of negotiation are the Deputy C?sar Jos? de los Santos and Roberto Sancazani, Regional Director of the Ministry of Tourism, representatives of the Executing Committee of Tourist Areas Infrastructure and Planning and Projects Department of the province.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the road POP-navarete itself, the old one, that is, has received a little lift and a cleanup

how pathetic is to quote yourself? nonetheless, i wanted to add that nearly the whole road has now those thingies in the middle that light up. the shiny thingummies? what they be called? makes driving a lot better in the dark. good job.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
how pathetic is to quote yourself? nonetheless, i wanted to add that nearly the whole road has now those thingies in the middle that light up. the shiny thingummies? what they be called? makes driving a lot better in the dark. good job.

It does not have the full effect without a bouncing Gif with round thingees!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
IMO. This guy is insane and has no grasp of reality.... at all. This is his third World's Best type place in two weeks and they all gonna happen tomorrow.

I'll go clean my guest rooms now. ROFL.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

The road reflectors only work at night IF you have headlights. Cows don't come with headlights. That's an added option that no one buys.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

well, i will look for the road pictures but in the meantime here is a relevant illustration of sosua beach improvements:

2cmnode.gif

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think there's a more current thread on northcoast roads, but I couldn't find it. Anyway, I went to Sosua this afternoon and they have started paving the main highway again. Right now, it's been paved several hundred yards east of Ocean Village. Maybe they'll make it to Cabarete before the elections(?). I sure hope so. It's in really bad shape.

Mods, please move this to a more appropriate thread if there is one.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
7 years later. Road work not yet done.
Once they start working, they can actually move fast. Keep your fingers crossed that it will be completed to Cabarete by election time. At least past Sea Horse Ranch. That stretch of road there is a disaster.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Once they start working, they can actually move fast. Keep your fingers crossed that it will be completed to Cabarete by election time. At least past Sea Horse Ranch. That stretch of road there is a disaster.
They are actually working on roads?

habi

Oct 17, 2015
They are actually working on roads?

Yes! At Highway #5 they are past the El Choco road entry now. And this time it looks like they actually using their heads (it that is posible..) and do grind the old asphalt off and then almost directly put the new one down!! 🤞🤞🤞

Reactions: JD Jones