stoplight at playero?

ejl293

May 29, 2012
What is the rule for turning into Playero in Sosua. The light coming from the direction of the Texaco (heading west) has a left turn arrow. Once the arrow goes off, but still a green light, are you allowed to make a left when no traffic is approaching?

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
What is the rule for turning into Playero in Sosua. The light coming from the direction of the Texaco (heading west) has a left turn arrow. Once the arrow goes off, but still a green light, are you allowed to make a left when no traffic is approaching?
Legally no, you can only turn legally on the green arrow. I am basing this on someone I know complaining about getting stopped by AMET for this very infraction

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I always turn left on the green if the way is clear. I've also done it multiple times when AMET were present. There is no sign saying that there is a an arrow to turn left.....so if somebody is new to the city how are they suppose to know? As far as the legality of it, I am not positive.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There's a light like that in Santiago west of the monument on Av. las Carreras. I turned left and AMET stopped me and started to write a ticket. He said it was illegal to turn left when the arrow wasn't lit. I managed to bribe my way out of it. Maybe he was just looking for money(?).

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I think that the green arrow gives you the right to turn left and cars from the other direction are to stop. When it goes out the other green beside it is either on or turning on, full on. If it was an arrow pointing down the road it would mean no left but it is a full green light so travel straight through and turn left if the way is clear. At least that is how it works in the real world.
Dont forget even with the green arrow the motos will go through.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You are not supposed to turn left into Playero when the left turn light isn't green. Granted there is no sign notifying of its existence. Many make the turn anyways especially foreigners. If you get into an accident with oncoming traffic it will be your fault for making the turn when you aren't supposed to. Definitely watch out for fast moving motos, they don't even stop for their own red light or cars that don't want to stop when their light changes. That intersection should be one of the top revenue generators for Amet in Sosua. Not sure why there isn't a permanent shade hut for an Amet officer there already.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Foreigners will often make that turn because a solid green light in many countries allows for a left turn when there is no on coming traffic.
I would need to find the traffic law in the DR on this point as it concerns the light in question by Playero to verify that a solid green light does not allow a left turn..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Straight up arrow = thru traffic only

Sleepy arrow (on its side) - indicates which way you may turn

That's how I see it.............

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Straight up arrow = thru traffic only

Sleepy arrow (on its side) - indicates which way you may turn

That's how I see it.............
If that is what they have, agreed.

Now, is there a straight up green arrow or a solid green light there (along with the left green arrow that comes on first)?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Solid green - to me- is open season...... make the turn

The preliminary green is left arrow and some sort of green on the right hand side of it.... simultaneous
Then the advance left goes off.... green remains

Yes, I make the left when no oncoming traffic........

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Solid green - to me- is open season...... make the turn

The preliminary green is left arrow and some sort of green on the right hand side of it.... simultaneous
Then the advance left goes off.... green remains

Yes, I make the left when no oncoming traffic........
If the traffic police are giving tickets to those making a left on a solid green light when there is no oncoming traffic, I suspect that is a mistake in the interpretation of the law. But, this is he DR.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In this country the law is what the official says it is at the time they enforce it. I should be easy for Spanish speakers to ask the Amet person for clarification the next time you see them at that intersection and you park in the parking lot Just walk over to them and ask.

Reactions: CDNBear

ejl293

May 29, 2012
Thank you all for your responses. I have always gone with the idea the solid green light means--turn is allowed when clear path. I have been told that this is not true here. It is all very confusing. Add in that it doesn't seem to apply at super pola. Though it is a bit harder to tell because the light is frequently not functioning properly.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
In this country the law is what the official says it is at the time they enforce it. I should be easy for Spanish speakers to ask the Amet person for clarification the next time you see them at that intersection and you park in the parking lot Just walk over to them and ask.

I am going to ask them tomorrow or Tuesday. They are rarely at that light but I'll ask them wherever I see them about that light at playero. I'll let you guys know what they say.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I am going to ask them tomorrow or Tuesday. They are rarely at that light but I'll ask them wherever I see them about that light at playero. I'll let you guys know what they say.
But be careful - if you ask another AMET the next day you may get a different answer!

• Haha
Reactions: CDNBear

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I've been watching this thread and just have to ask: Is this serious? I've only been here 2 years but I've never seen someone get a ticket for a traffic violation. Registration violations and helmet violations sure.

I've seen motos plow thru red lights in front of cops here in Boca Chica, in SD, and SPdM. I have never seen someone popped for a moving violation.