North Coast Windmills

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
It's been overcast with limited views lately.
But what a WOW when we noticed this.
14 big electric windmills popped up in the, not sure exactly, Costambar/Cofressie. (Spelling excused)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just 'popped up' ???

Yikes...

We have them on the Great Lakes.... very efficient
The wind coefficient here should be good

habi

Oct 17, 2015
14 big electric windmills popped up in the, not sure exactly, Costambar/Cofressie. (Spelling excused)
:ROFLMAO: They are there for some time already... Close to Playa Guzmancito.... 19.87759246115985, -70.83205439229776 on Google maps
There is also a Wind park close to Punta Rusia... Modern times in the DR... :cool:

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
:ROFLMAO: They are there for some time already... Close to Playa Guzmancito.... 19.87759246115985, -70.83205439229776 on Google maps
There is also a Wind park close to Punta Rusia... Modern times in the DR... :cool:
Correct, we passed by when they were storing those between Guzmancito intersection after Maimon... I don't recall exactly when this was, but a good while ago

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Been there for years. And there are more than 14.
Imagine those on every hilltop from Puerto Plata to Las Terrenos . You need look no further than Colombia River Gorge to see how ugly a sight thousands of them are.
But that's what the Green preachers demand.
I prefer swaying palms on hilltops with a coal plant somewhere hidden for delivery of my 100 Amps.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Guess it beats having electricity 3 or 4 hrs a day depending on which day of the week it is.

Reactions: drstock

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Hey! I think they're great! Moving into advanced electricity that keeps us running and depletes the need for "clean coal " I'm in.
I see that you have another power outage in Santiago and the north coast and some are going nuts.........again and as usual, power out. And it's only been,as reported, a few minutes to 3 hours.
ROFL.
Over 20 years ago we knew that power went out . We prepared. Candles.

Reactions: drstock and Gadfly

SD Este

Banned
Jul 28, 2021
La Capital
SMR's are the future, or even smaller modular Nuclear reactors. Extremely safe, efficient, and if truth be known producing much less and easier to store byproducts than many other options like coal.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Hey! I think they're great! Moving into advanced electricity that keeps us running and depletes the need for "clean coal " I'm in.
I see that you have another power outage in Santiago and the north coast and some are going nuts.........again and as usual, power out. And it's only been,as reported, a few minutes to 3 hours.
ROFL.
If you lived near enough to hear them you might not think they are 'advanced'.
There is already data to show their lifespan is 12-14 years. At the end of their workability what happens to them - who will remove or replace them?
I am for wind power but first in places like the Hamptons, St Barts, Hollywood or Manhattan. First let liberal enclaves experience them in their backyard and give an honest opinion on their visual impact and the whoop-whoop before the blind worship gets carried away.
I did some consulting in wind turbine site acquisition of in Puerto Rico. Each turbine needs about an acre of land to maintain distance from adjacent turbines - so a wind farm that produces a significant energy output say enough for Sosua (based in 50,000 people) would need 205 average sized commercial turbines. This is using the industry standard of an operating 30 % capacity of a 1 megawatt turbine.
I also did microwave path studies in the Colombia River gorge and when you are close enough (about a half mile) you can hear them thumping. Would you accept one within a half mile of your bedroom?

Reactions: windeguy

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
ROFL.
There is already data to show their lifespan is 12-14 years. At the end of their workability what happens to them - who will remove or replace them? If they are removed do they remove the large reinforced concrete foundation required to support the tower?
I am for wind power especially in places like the Hamptons, St Barts, Hollywood or Manhattan. First let liberal enclaves experience them in their backyard and give an honest opinion on their visual impact and the whoop-whoop.
I did some consulting in wind turbines in Puerto Rico. Each turbine needs about an acre of land to maintain distance from adjacent turbines - so a wind farm that produces a significant energy output say enough for Sosua (based in 50,000 people) would need 205 average sized turbines. This is using the industry standard of 30 % capacity of a 1 megawatt turbine.

Reactions: windeguy

DBL J

Sin bin
May 18, 2021
States
There is already data to show their lifespan is 12-14 years. At the end of their workability what happens to them - who will remove or replace them?
I am for wind power but first in places like the Hamptons, St Barts, Hollywood or Manhattan. First let liberal enclaves experience them in their backyard and give an honest opinion on their visual impact and the whoop-whoop before the blind worship gets carried away.
I did some consulting in wind turbine site acquisition of in Puerto Rico. Each turbine needs about an acre of land to maintain distance from adjacent turbines - so a wind farm that produces a significant energy output say enough for Sosua (based in 50,000 people) would need 205 average sized commercial turbines. This is using the industry standard of an operating 30 % capacity of a 1 megawatt turbine.
I also did microwave path studies in the Colombia River gorge and when you are close enough (about a half mile) you can hear them thumping. Would you accept one within a half mile of your bedroom?
While that is one perspective, an alternative perspective is that everything in life is about tradeoffs. Yes, wind turbines only produce power when the wind blows, but the fuel is FREE. Yes, wind turbines will kill some birds, maybe even lots of them. And wind turbines even make sound, and some may not like the sound, although as one with first hand knowledge, the sound is certainly not deafening.

Lifespans for on-shore wind turbines are closer to 20 years with developers trying to squeeze as much service out of them as possible. Newer turbines are 1.6 to 2 MW each, yes at around 33% capacity. At the end of their life they are recycled as much as possible and the blades are landfilled. I have seen the giant mountains of chopped up blades in the relatively flat lands of the midwest; again tradeoffs.

Renewables don't have to be political, the top 5 states for installed wind capacity are TX, IA, OK, KS, and IL........ hardly liberal states, (well 4 out of 5 anyway) LOL but that is where the wind blows.

Reactions: zoomzx11

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
SMR's are the future, or even smaller modular Nuclear reactors. Extremely safe, efficient, and if truth be known producing much less and easier to store byproducts than many other options like coal.
I like the small nuclear reactor option the best. Los Alamos just went sell me one. :ROFLMAO:
And they are going to be a tad pricey for individuals, yet a great option for small cities.
When they get used up years down the road, just replace them.
Virtually no muss, no fuss, no unsightly windmills or solar farms.
I know, I know, some love the sight of windmills and solar panels, they get all "green" and "gushy" over them.
I am sure they will have their place in history as well, but nuclear power will be needed to satisfy the demand no matter how
many panels or windmills are built and installed. Probably not fusion power, alas and alack, any time soon since that is a tough nut to crack.

Reactions: XTraveller

DBL J

Sin bin
May 18, 2021
States
There is already data to show their lifespan is 12-14 years. At the end of their workability what happens to them - who will remove or replace them? If they are removed do they remove the large reinforced concrete foundation required to support the tower?
I am for wind power especially in places like the Hamptons, St Barts, Hollywood or Manhattan. First let liberal enclaves experience them in their backyard and give an honest opinion on their visual impact and the whoop-whoop.
I did some consulting in wind turbines in Puerto Rico. Each turbine needs about an acre of land to maintain distance from adjacent turbines - so a wind farm that produces a significant energy output say enough for Sosua (based in 50,000 people) would need 205 average sized turbines. This is using the industry standard of 30 % capacity of a 1 megawatt turbine.

I remember that KCCI news piece about the sound and neighbors having ruined lives because of the sound, many folks laughed pretty hard at that one. I remember a county ag economic development meeting almost a decade ago where the president of a local grain cooperative was railing against these turbines and how much land they took out of production..... he really looked foolish with lots of eyes rolling......

Wind isn't perfect, it's open to criticism like anything else. Like i said, life is about tradeoffs, and most of the tradeoffs with wind, and renewables in general, I'll take.

But context counts as well, what are facts without context?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I remember that KCCI news piece about the sound and neighbors having ruined lives because of the sound, many folks laughed pretty hard at that one. I remember a county ag economic development meeting almost a decade ago where the president of a local grain cooperative was railing against these turbines and how much land they took out of production..... he really looked foolish with lots of eyes rolling......

Wind isn't perfect, it's open to criticism like anything else. Like i said, life is about tradeoffs, and most of the tradeoffs with wind, and renewables in general, I'll take.

But context counts as well, what are facts without context?
Actually there are many counties and cities enacting zoning that prevents windmills, including on AG land.
The access roads into the wind farms and connecting each turbine are about 22'-26 wide (needed for maintenance) and there will be underground easements conduits for electrical and monitoring/control cables.
Also the concrete foundations below mean that the ground above will not be as fertile as virgin ground. So yes they can farm around them, but flooded fields, like rice or row crops no.
So hay or beans are some things that could be grown in a wind farm, but the movements of tractors is impeded.
Grazing is OK beneath them one the herds adapt. I located some in cattle fields in Puerto Rico and the cows still grazed after they were up.
They tried experimenting with them in Napa in the vineyards and the thought was they would help control frost but the vineyard owners didn't want to allow enough to make it economically feasible and did not want the all maintenance roads which displaced so many grapes.

Attachments

• wind_turbine_foundation-1200x676 (1).jpg
    wind_turbine_foundation-1200x676 (1).jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 179

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Dead link DRS.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
I like the small nuclear reactor option the best. Los Alamos just went sell me one. :ROFLMAO:
And they are going to be a tad pricey for individuals, yet a great option for small cities.
When they get used up years down the road, just replace them.
Virtually no muss, no fuss, no unsightly windmills or solar farms.
I know, I know, some love the sight of windmills and solar panels, they get all "green" and "gushy" over them.
I am sure they will have their place in history as well, but nuclear power will be needed to satisfy the demand no matter how
many panels or windmills are built and installed. Probably not fusion power, alas and alack, any time soon since that is a tough nut to crack.
Yea.........chinese builds nuclears and Dominican maintenance........SI DIOS QUIERE ?/(!0:<>