Carolina Mejia Jimenez

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Carolina is the mayor of Santo Domingo.

I am going to go on record and say she is the best public servant I have seen in this country

I got caught on the Malecon yesterday during the wind and rain Fred brought us.

As I was driving through the water and downed trees, I came across a brigade chopping up a tree that had fallen across the road.

I was surprised to see her there directing/observing the brigade as they did their work. Amazing.

It is well worth your time to follow her Instagram page. This woman is out everywhere, supervising crews and even lifting and pulling branches off the road.

There are dozens of examples of her doing this on her Instagram, and in many cases, addressing the workers by their name and asking them to
do this and that.

I have never seen a political person on the streets every day talking to people, lending a hand where needed, and listening and resolving the problems of people. And she does it every.single.day.

Not only that, but she drives herself around from point to point. No chauffer-driven limo for her.

A very impressive woman indeed.

And also a mention David Collado who is visiting all over the country, listening to problems, and working directly with everyday people to address problems.

Abinader is another who is not a behind the desk kind of guy. His Instagram has dozens of posts every day of activities he is involved in.

If you think this new government is not doing much, you really need to start following these three persons on Instagram. You'll change your mind.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I thought politics and religion were off limits here so I feel that I can not reply except to say that I believe nearly all Dominicans are worse off now than they were a year ago mainly because of the spiraling prices ,increased delinquency and little maintenance on roads, bridges or public buildings. But I will write no more as politics are quite correctly off limits.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Sorry, I tried to keep the political slant out of the dedication of these three persons are demonstrating on a daily basis.

If you don't inform yourself of their activities to improve the lives of everyday citizens, it's easy to believe things are getting worse instead of better.

The moderator of this forum is welcome to close the thread if it seems too political.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The best is the mayor of Santiago Abel Martínez, from whom Carolina Mejía has copy many initiatives once she became the mayor of Santo Domingo. She still has ways to go to be considered the best, but she's Santo Domingo's first woman mayor.

Hopefully she copy the president of the water company in Puerto Plata regarding placing new rubber tops on many uncovered manholes throughout the city (original ones stolen because they were made of real metal).

Reactions: CristoRey and Auryn

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I met her on one occasion several years ago, long before her term as mayor. I am convinced that she is a force, and much more intelligent than her father.

I am not convinced that her public appearances are much more than photo ops to ensure long term political presence.

She is @carolinamejiagomez on Instagram.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Saw her in Santiago, Very easy on the eyes! Almost a modelo.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Carolina is the mayor of Santo Domingo.

I am going to go on record and say she is the best public servant I have seen in this country

I got caught on the Malecon yesterday during the wind and rain Fred brought us.

As I was driving through the water and downed trees, I came across a brigade chopping up a tree that had fallen across the road.

I was surprised to see her there directing/observing the brigade as they did their work. Amazing.

It is well worth your time to follow her Instagram page. This woman is out everywhere, supervising crews and even lifting and pulling branches off the road.

There are dozens of examples of her doing this on her Instagram, and in many cases, addressing the workers by their name and asking them to
do this and that.

I have never seen a political person on the streets every day talking to people, lending a hand where needed, and listening and resolving the problems of people. And she does it every.single.day.

Not only that, but she drives herself around from point to point. No chauffer-driven limo for her.

A very impressive woman indeed.

And also a mention David Collado who is visiting all over the country, listening to problems, and working directly with everyday people to address problems.

Abinader is another who is not a behind the desk kind of guy. His Instagram has dozens of posts every day of activities he is involved in.

If you think this new government is not doing much, you really need to start following these three persons on Instagram. You'll change your mind.
Is this impressive woman out picking up the garbage in Santo Domingo, as there is really a lot piling up ?..................

Reactions: CristoRey

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
David Collado in the meantime is driving around looking for more and more photo opportunities ..has there ever been a man who posts so many selfies!!

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
David Collado in the meantime is driving around looking for more and more photo opportunities ..has there ever been a man who posts so many selfies!!
Is this impressive woman out picking up the garbage in Santo Domingo, as there is really a lot piling up ?..................

l'll let you see for yourself on her feed and you can come back and tell us.

Last edited:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Abel Martínez is the worst thing that can happen to the DR. A dictator in making.
He's done more for this city in the last 6 years than the last 6 Mayors combined.
As someone who's been living here in Santiago since prior to him being elected,
his way of dictating is welcome with open arms.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
He and Carolina both have camera folks who don't seem to know what they're doing. Most of what they post could be done with one shot, but they frequently use 8-10 consecutive shorties.

I'm not sure what the mindset is behind that.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
He's done more for this city in the last 6 years than the last 6 Mayors combined.
I'm with you. I follow him as well and he is great at what he does. All of them have been doing numerous public works projects and supervise them regularly.

Here it was an oddity to see politicos doing it, other than at election time.

Danilo is the only one before them who made an attempt at connecting with the public. They have taken it to another lever.

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I'm with you. I follow him as well and he is great at what he does. All of them have been doing numerous public works projects and supervise them regularly.

Here it was an oddity to see politicos doing it, other than at election time.

Danilo is the only one before them who made an attempt at connecting with the public. They have taken it to another lever.
Agreed.
Better to judge a person by his or her (no need to insert the correct gender pronouns here) actions, not by what they say.

Feb 7, 2007

He is corrupt and there are several anti corruption processes going on against him. He charges ISPs huge fees for laying fiber and refuses to give invoice, which means the money hardly ends up in city coffees. He gives no invoice because legally he is not authorized to charge those fees. There have been no replies to multiple FOIA requests in that subject matter. Which results in me believing he pockets most of the money. I am thinking of filing criminal charges against his folks for failing to reply to FOIA (failure to reply, not with denial of information, but straightforward disregard to reply at all), and the FOIA law makes them criminally responsible for failure to reply.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
He is corrupt and there are several anti corruption processes going on against him. He charges ISPs huge fees for laying fiber and refuses to give invoice, which means the money hardly ends up in city coffees. He gives no invoice because legally he is not authorized to charge those fees. There have been no replies to multiple FOIA requests in that subject matter. Which results in me believing he pockets most of the money. I am thinking of filing criminal charges against his folks for failing to reply to FOIA (failure to reply, not with denial of information, but straightforward disregard to reply at all), and the FOIA law makes them criminally responsible for failure to reply.
Can you keep a secret?
I think they are all corrupt.
That said I prefer a corrupt
Mayor who cares about giving
the residences of this beautiful
city a better quality of life. It's
cleaner, safer and better organized
under Abel. I'd cast my ballot for him if I were eligable to vote.
If you feel he's doing ya wrong, you have every right to take him/ his folks to court.

Reactions: wuarhat
Feb 7, 2007
Can you keep a secret?
I think they are all corrupt.
That said I prefer a corrupt
Mayor who cares about giving
the residences of this beautiful
city a better quality of life. It's
cleaner, safer and better organized
under Abel. I'd cast my ballot for him if I were eligable to vote.
If you feel he's doing ya wrong, you have every right to take him/ his folks to court.
I respect your position

Reactions: caribmike

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I respect your position
I respect yours as well.
No desire to see you have issues
when trying to do business down here.
The less issues people like us have, the more willing people/ companies are to invest in the DR.