Do you have an account with Banco Popular and their VISA card?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
They're having a special offering from 15 Sept. to 15 October

According to the email I received, you may receive 40% of anything you spend over 2000 pesos.

More details and register at

Please, no need for negative comments.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Excellent, thanks! The only thing that concerns me is that to register you have to check a box saying that you accept their terms and conditions, which are the usual multiple paragraphs of jibberish.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Excellent, thanks! The only thing that concerns me is that to register you have to check a box saying that you accept their terms and conditions, which are the usual multiple paragraphs of jibberish.
Were you able to read the terms and conditions? The last one is giving permission to check your home country's credit score.

En virtud de las disposiciones de la Ley Orgánica sobre Protección de Datos de Carácter Personal No. 172-13, del 13 de diciembre de 2013, EL CLIENTE autoriza a EL BANCO a consultarlo en la base de datos de las Sociedades de Información Crediticia (SIC) a los fines de evaluación de crédito, así como para cualquier uso adicional que EL BANCO considere pertinente con el objetivo de brindar sus servicios a EL CLIENTE así como para dar cumplimiento a las disposiciones legales vigentes, especialmente, y sin que ello sea limitativo, a las disposiciones sobre prevención de lavado de activos y financiamiento del terrorismo. EL CLIENTE declara, reconoce y acepta el uso y conservación de la información de carácter personal y crediticia otorgada a EL BANCO, facultando tanto a éste como a su casa matriz, Grupo Popular, S. A., a las empresas filiales de este último, y a sus subsidiarias, a mantener dichas informaciones en sus bases de datos. De igual forma, EL CLIENTE autoriza a EL BANCO a trasmitir a las Sociedades de Información Crediticia (SIC) la información patrimonial y extrapatrimonial requerida conforme los parámetros de ley y necesaria para los fines de evaluación del crédito por parte de otras instituciones suscriptores de dichas Sociedades de Información, reconociendo y garantizando que la revelación de dichas informaciones por parte de EL BANCO y/o por las Sociedades de Información Crediticia y/o por sus respectivos empleados, funcionarios y accionistas no conllevará violación de secreto profesional a los efectos del Artículo 377 del Código Penal, violación al secreto bancario a los efectos del literal b) de la Ley Monetaria y Financiera No. 183-02, ni generarán responsabilidad bajo los Artículos 1382 y siguiente del Código Civil, ni bajo ningún otro texto legal. De igual forma, EL CLIENTE consiente y autoriza a EL BANCO a ceder las informaciones otorgadas, incluyendo informaciones biográficas, a sus gestores de cobro, a la casa matriz de EL BANCO, Grupo Popular, S. A., a las empresas filiales de éste último, a sus subsidiarias y a las sociedades con quienes mantenga acuerdos de referimiento o relaciones comerciales para dar cumplimiento a los fines directamente relacionados con el interés legítimo de EL BANCO y EL CLIENTE, manteniendo éste la facultad de rectificar y/o suprimir los datos que demuestre sean incorrectos, incompletos, desactualizados o cuyo registro esté prohibido.

PARRAFO I: Asimismo, EL CLIENTE autoriza expresamente a EL BANCO a consultar sus datos en el Maestro de Cedulados que mantiene la Junta Central Electoral (JCE), conforme las disposiciones del Reglamento que establece el Procedimiento para Acceder al Maestro de Cedulados y Fija las Tasas por los Servicios de Acceso de fecha 23 de julio de 2013, descargando a EL BANCO de cualquier responsabilidad relativa a la consulta realizada en el referido Maestro, en el entendido de que dichos datos deberán ser manejados con la debida confidencialidad y no podrán ser divulgados sin el consentimiento de EL CLIENTE.

PARRAFO II: EL CLIENTE de nacionalidad extranjera, en los casos que aplique, autoriza a EL BANCO, a realizar las revisiones correspondientes de su historial crediticio en el buró de crédito internacional que corresponda.

Last edited:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Were you able to read the terms and conditions? The last one is giving permission to check your home country's credit score.
Well, actually I started to read them but as my Spanish is not 100% gave up the battle before I got to the last paragraph. I suppose it's not too unreasonable, and luckily shouldn't be a problem for me.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I'm sure it will expose me to a whole bunch of offers but I'm really good at rejecting that stuff. lol

I use my card for just about everything so 40% back would be a nice chunk of change.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Is it Visa Credit cards only, or do the Debit cards also qualify? When they realise how much shopping this rubia can do in a day, I think they may well exclude me from this.

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I'm sure it will expose me to a whole bunch of offers but I'm really good at rejecting that stuff. lol

I use my card for just about everything so 40% back would be a nice chunk of change.
How can they do that? Merchants normally get charged depending on card used average 2.5 % per transaction ..yet they offer 40% back?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
How can they do that? Merchants normally get charged depending on card used average 2.5 % per transaction ..yet they offer 40% back?
My first thought as well. But for me no harm in signing up.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

Same philosophy as loss leader I would guess. Right now, Discover is giving 5% back on walmart, target, and amazon purchases. They would only make money if you carry a balance, which many people do.

But they want to get you hooked on their bank and card. Then inertia takes over until the next big 12 million percent off sale.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
i am pretty sure there will be a maximum discount they will give you. It's like the IKEA 5% Cheque de Regalo with Family, it stops at a maximum. So it will be in the fine print, 40% off up to a maximum discount of RD$ 5,000 per month maybe.

You never get amazing deals in DR like you can in the US or Europe.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
“There are no free lunches”…as they say even if you are staying at a AI in the DR. Lol

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Go to car dealership slap that puppy down.. say your not haggling price today.. must be some extra Dominican fine print.
i am pretty sure there will be a maximum discount they will give you. It's like the IKEA 5% Cheque de Regalo with Family, it stops at a maximum. So it will be in the fine print, 40% off up to a maximum discount of RD$ 5,000 per month maybe.

You never get amazing deals in DR like you can in the US or Europe.

I haven't heard from them since I submitted my application, but I bet you're right.

But the part about reviewing my US credit score leads me to believe they've got something else in mind.

I'll do an update once I hear from them.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
“There are no free lunches”…as they say even if you are staying at a AI in the DR. Lol

Definitely not nice lunches if you're staying at an AI. I have yet to have a decent meal in a DR resort.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I wonder how much of a credit limit thy give you(?). If you're planning on making some really big purchases, this sounds like an incredible deal.