US Passport Renewal in the DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is the one way you can get your US Passport renewed in the DR if it is not an emergency.
Do everything at this link plus one more thing below:

I used the DOMEX office in Sosua. One thing not mentioned to be needed is a copy of your current passport photo page. That is required by DOMEX, so add that to the list or Domex won't send it.

I sent my passport for renewal on February 28 at Domex in Sosua and got it back today, It had shown up at Domex on April 10.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I assume you are collecting your SS payments in the DR and not the US. You remember the other poster that received the dreaded form that has to be filled out or your SS payments stop.....

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I had mine renewed in 2014 at the US Consulate Office in Puerto Plata.
Was easy and picked up my new book at their office a few weeks later.
The women who assisted me was very helpful. Here is her contact info.
Alexandra Colombo
colomboa@state.gov
US Consulate Office, Puerto Plata

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I just filled out my paperwork online.
Printed it out.
Got an appointment with the Consulate (booked online)
Showed up for my appointment.
Went through my interview.
Paid my fees.
Paid to have DOMEX deliver it to me.
Got both my passport and my passport card delivered to me in record time (two separate packages).

It should be noted that all my fellow Americans spoke Spanish.
It was quite the surprise when this Gringo Negro told them that they really should not be making assumptions about people or talking about them right in front of their face...in Spanish.
The violators had "mud in their eye" (like many of the posters I have to put in check here on DR1 after they respond to my posts)
And everyone else within earshot started laughing.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I assume you are collecting your SS payments in the DR and not the US. You remember the other poster that received the dreaded form that has to be filled out or your SS payments stop.....
You would assume incorrectly.

And what does it have to do with passport renewal?

Reactions: chico bill

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I had mine renewed in 2014 at the US Consulate Office in Puerto Plata.
Was easy and picked up my new book at their office a few weeks later.
The women who assisted me was very helpful. Here is her contact info.
Alexandra Colombo
colomboa@state.gov
US Consulate Office, Puerto Plata
Cannot be done that way at this time. The only option I had was to use Domex to send and receive it.

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey and cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just filled out my paperwork online.
Printed it out.
Got an appointment with the Consulate (booked online)
Showed up for my appointment.
Went through my interview.
Paid my fees.
Paid to have DOMEX deliver it to me.
Got both my passport and my passport card delivered to me in record time (two separate packages).
When was that? No appointments were available for passport renewal and thankfully I didn't have to make a trip to Santo Domingo or even to Puerto Plata where I had done the renewal previously. Those options do not exist at the moment.

The only option I had was to use Domex to send and receive it in the manner described in my original post.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You would assume incorrectly.

And what does it have to do with passport renewal?
Plenty if you had your money coming from the US. It could have been cancelled when they put you in the DR and send that letter that you may never see. Comprendi?........

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy.... it was writtten late at night......night hawk our man, like true Vegas vet
I can easily understand people mentioning how they did it before, but the original post describes the one option in the DR of how to do it now (and has nothing to do with Social Security payments)....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Plenty if you had your money coming from the US. It could have been cancelled when they put you in the DR and send that letter that you may never see. Comprendi?........
No.

I filled out a document long ago that told the US government I lived in the DR. I get my SS deposited in the US. It has never been an issue.

This thread is about PASSPORT RENEWAL and that has nothing to do with SOCIAL SECURITY PAYMENTS.

DO YOU NOW UNDERSTAND?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
No.

This thread is about PASSPORT RENEWAL and that has nothing to do with SOCIAL SECURITY PAYMENTS.

DO YOU NOW UNDERSTAND?
You are on SS and your passport renewal which is the topic here can affect your collecting SS if you are collecting from the US. Get it, trying to help a person that knows it all is a tough job............

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You are on SS and your passport renewal which is the topic here can affect your collecting SS if you are collecting from the US. Get it, trying to help a person that knows it all is a tough job............
I have declared to the US Embassy that I live in the DR. That was many years ago now.
I have renewed my passport several times in the DR. Every time it needed renewal since 2003.
I have had no issues with Social Security payments.
Once again, this thread is not about Social Security payments.
You think you know something that you don't know.

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have declared to the US Embassy that I live in the DR. That was many years ago now.
I have renewed my passport several times in the DR. Every time it needed renewal since 2003.
I have had no issues with Social Security payments.
Once again, this thread is not about Social Security payments.
You think you know something that you don't know.
There are other people on this board that may not know that renewing your passport in the DR can cancel your SS payments in the US. I know you think you are the only person that matters but I post to help others on this board...............

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There are other people on this board that may not know that renewing your passport in the DR can cancel your SS payments in the US. I know you think you are the only person that matters but I post to help others on this board...............
As I said, you think you know something you don't know. And you did it again.

Social Security payments can be collected no matter where you are in the world.

And once again, it has nothing to do with passport renewal, which you must have missed that I have done several times while in the DR.

• Love
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Wrong!

I travel a lot to the D.R. and my last 2 renewals were done in the D.R,
I usually do them early from wherever I am to allow for any possible travel delays.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Wrong!

I travel a lot to the D.R. and my last 2 renewals were done in the D.R,
I usually do them early from wherever I am to allow for any possible travel delays.
I just received a scary email to my inbox that threatens fines or imprisonment if I don't send in the form. Sounds like a perfect social engineering phishing attempt. The email is from, or purports to be from, SDOAmericans@state.gov The letter gives me a link to download a form titled SSA-7162 and says that I cannot electronically submit it, that I must mail it to an address in PA or to the U.S. Embassy in Sto. Dom. It says that SSA confirms foreign residency every two years.

I could give more information but this should be enough to answer the question, real or fake? Meanwhile I will google the form and evaluate it rather than click on the link for the form in the letter.

Needless to say, I am big time worried as the letter threatens cancellation of SSA benefits.

Read this thread and you will see who is wrong here. Yes, you can collect this way, but if you fail to fill out the form mailed every one or two years your SS is cut off.............

And if you still insist check with SS and ask. 1 800-772-1213

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
As I said, you think you know something you don't know. And you did it again.

Social Security payments can be collected no matter where you are in the world.

And once again, it has nothing to do with passport renewal, which you must have missed that I have done several times while in the DR.
Winde give it up - he just likes to argue to hear himself

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Form: SSA-7162 / SSA-7161

All people receiving Social Security benefits with foreign addresses registered with the SSA. It does not matter if your check is deposited in the USA or to a foreign bank account because it’s all about your mailing address on file with the SSA.