Dominican Republic establishes a safe corridor to leave Haiti

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Corredor-Haiti-Diario-Libre-.jpg

With embassies being ransacked by mobs, the United States Embassy under protection from units of the US Marine Corps, and helicopters evacuating personnel from several embassies in Port-au-Prince to the DR, the need for logistical support and humanitarian assistance is large. Minister for Foreign Relations Roberto Alvarez detailed for reporters how the DR is contributing to an emergency evacuation system. He says that Dominican security agencies have developed the necessary protocols for evacuating personnel from different agencies working in Haiti and diplomatic personnel in general.

Airfields and heliports in Jimani, Barahona, and Santo Domingo (La Isabela International Airport in northern Santo Domingo) are being used.

The same protocol goes for journalists and other international staff that seek to enter Haiti from the Dominican Republic, most of the time by land. In the case...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Are there still people who are not Haitians there?

If so, they have a death wish.

Reactions: Big

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A lot have been trying to get out, but have been unable to do so. This plan will help them, presumably.
I cannot feel sorry for foreign nationals who are still there. They could easily qualify for Darwin awards soon.

Reactions: Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Well, things did escalate fairly quickly, and areas and routes that were relatively safe and open became blocked and dangerous. Hindsight is always 20-20.
that place has been in melt down mode for several years. The core has just recently exploded. I am an experienced traveler that has been in places many have not heard of. I would not enter Haiti. The problem is it is not possible to blend in with locals being a fair, blue-eyed foreigner. There are no (zero) tourists. to dilute the victim targets. So, if Allen from New Hampshire pops in for a look see, he will be spotted immediately as a victim. Like the signs posted on closed mines read "stay out and stay alive"

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well, things did escalate fairly quickly, and areas and routes that were relatively safe and open became blocked and dangerous. Hindsight is always 20-20.
Haiti has been a disaster since I moved here. Nothing quick about that and being a bad place to be for more than 20 years.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I read/saw on the news that a congressman (Cory Mills) helped evacuate volunteers from a children's ministry. It also said that the State Dept was offering limited charter flights from Cap Haitien. However, anyone (US citizen) wanting to do this had to find their way to Cap Haitien.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
The British BBC News has been featuring a lot of reports on Haiti this week. They have a reporter in the north of the country and he's been going around hospitals. Obviously also has a cameraman with him. Those journalists are incredibly brave.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The British BBC News has been featuring a lot of reports on Haiti this week. They have a reporter in the north of the country and he's been going around hospitals. Obviously also has a cameraman with him. Those journalists are incredibly brave.
I would not use the word "brave".