• IMG_5951.jpeg
    IMG_5951.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 57
Reactions: M4kintosh

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Still using wood in the construction.
When will they ever learn, Rhetorical question.
I don’t know if it is quality construction.

It looks both wider in depth and length. They must have built closer to the water. It looks like they are going to have parking in front. And there will be a lot of rental space to rent out for Mintur.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

It looks both wider in depth and length. They must have built closer to the water. It looks like they are going to have parking in front. And there will be a lot of rental space to rent out for Mintur.
It does look closer to the water. Probably illegally close and not allowing for any erosion.

• Wow
Reactions: windeguy

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
That's my main concern: why building again in the 50-60 mts of beach that by law isn't allowed?
And in one of the pics, you notice the sand erosion starting to affect the construction.

You mean here ? It looks like it’s right on the water almost.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Does it really matter? It will be burned again before it collapses on itself for no reason. I’m beginning to think the fires are part of the plan. If I was the insurances companies, all policies are denied to Pueblo de los Pescadores unless they stop building with wood and install sprinklers.

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy and aarhus

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I was there yesterday as it happens. The panels on the front are Durock, I don't know how fireproof that is.

They have also rebuilt the shacks that burnt down on the beach by the cemetery, also in wood to help them burn down again.

I honestly cannot believe how much construction is going on in LT. Every square inch of available land has apartments going up, many with shops and restaurants underneath, yet all the existing apartments seem to be half empty and the existing restaurants are hardly doing any trade, certainly not compared to Santo Domingo. A couple of years from now when all these new places are ready to be occupied, it's going to be carnage. Especially if the government insists that all the Airbnb's are licensed.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas

guess they don't believe in global warming

At least things are moving along, should be completed by 2025,
haha

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I was there yesterday as it happens. The panels on the front are Durock, I don't know how fireproof that is.

They have also rebuilt the shacks that burnt down on the beach by the cemetery, also in wood to help them burn down again.

I honestly cannot believe how much construction is going on in LT. Every square inch of available land has apartments going up, many with shops and restaurants underneath, yet all the existing apartments seem to be half empty and the existing restaurants are hardly doing any trade, certainly not compared to Santo Domingo. A couple of years from now when all these new places are ready to be occupied, it's going to be carnage. Especially if the government insists that all the Airbnb's are licensed.
I am beginning to think you regretted you didn’t buy a property there. You keep posting about it and you keep going there. Are you hoping the prices will drop substantially so you can get in there and buy?

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Does it really matter? It will be burned again before it collapses on itself for no reason. I’m beginning to think the fires are part of the plan. If I was the insurances companies, all policies are denied to Pueblo de los Pescadores unless they stop building with wood and install sprinklers.
No maybe it doesn’t matter. They may make enough on the commercial space rentals in the meantime. Personally I think they should just have left it as a beach. It is not as if Las Terrenas is short of bars and restaurants.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

There seems to be a lot of villa and condo construction all along the north coast from Puerto Plata to Las Terrenas based upon speculation.
Nothing in scale compared to the Miamification of Punta Cana, as I am told but cannot personally confirm, but many small projects that add up on the north coast. The end result where I am is more expats all the time. More cars all the time.

Time will tell on that Airbnb thing... That will be a game change for some.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I am beginning to think you regretted you didn’t buy a property there. You keep posting about it and you keep going there. Are you hoping the prices will drop substantially so you can get in there and buy?

Honestly no. I have always been a city girl and I am not sure if I'd get bored living in a small town even if it has a beautiful beach. I'm not sure if the prices will drop - they always throw very sexy marketing at these new builds and are probably selling a lot abroad. But what will drop for sure are rental rates.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Honestly no. I have always been a city girl and I am not sure if I'd get bored living in a small town even if it has a beautiful beach. I'm not sure if the prices will drop - they always throw very sexy marketing at these new builds and are probably selling a lot abroad. But what will drop for sure are rental rates.
Agreed if the Airbnb regulations are approved, which seems likely, I have always used the rule of thumb that the property appreciation added to the rent you take in should "pay off" your investment in a rental property in 10 years. Otherwise, your money is better invested in the S&P 500. If you have to drop your rental rates because Airbnb is no longer attractive, then what happens next is good for the renter and not the owner

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That's my main concern: why building again in the 50-60 mts of beach that by law isn't allowed?
And in one of the pics, you notice the sand erosion starting to affect the construction.
Only allowed within 60 meters if they have approval from the government. As we know, money talks in that situation.

Reactions: M4kintosh

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There seems to be a lot of villa and condo construction all along the north coast from Puerto Plata to Las Terrenas based upon speculation.
Nothing in scale compared to the Miamification of Punta Cana, as I am told but cannot personally confirm, but many small projects that add up on the north coast. The end result where I am is more expats all the time. More cars all the time.

Time will tell on that Airbnb thing... That will be a game change for some.
I still remember when I lived in Maimon driving to Cabrera twice a week. It was almost a no-mans land.