Airfare costs main barrier to DR Tourism

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Thanks G-D for high Airfares !!! If you have ever been to Mallorca, Ibiza, Teneriffa etc than you would understand that this high Airfares are a true blessing.
The places i mentioned above are the extreme example of what kind of tourists you get with cheap Airfares. Again: Thanks G-D for high Airfares !!!

Reactions: Independent Man

Big

Apr 24, 2019
its all relative as they say. Round trip business class to Dar es Salaam is 5600 U.S, beats the 18 thousand U.S for 1st class. out off IAD

• Wow
Reactions: cavok
Jun 7, 2006
Thanks G-D for high Airfares !!! If you have ever been to Mallorca, Ibiza, Teneriffa etc than you would understand that this high Airfares are a true blessing.
The places i mentioned above are the extreme example of what kind of tourists you get with cheap Airfares. Again: Thanks G-D for high Airfares !!!
Amen! If you think Sosua is the tourism cheap seats now, just wait & see what a low rent mess it would be if they lowered fares to POP.

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Yea pandemic made me realize that the USA is Beautiful. Arizona, NYC, LA, MIAMI, New England, New Orleans, NY fingerlakes region.. so much beauty in our country and cheaper to fly and we keep our money in US.

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
my acquaintances keep telling me they're getting 300 usd roundtrip flights from SDQ to FLL; that sounds very reasonable to me; but of course, it's Spirit, and you're flying at 'O dark thirty', and all you can take is a half full plastic grocery bag, and you're sitting in the middle seat just fwd of the aft head

• Haha
Reactions: Big

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The days of me getting down and back to the DR for $400 Canadian are long gone. Double or triple that now and you have to do layovers so tack on another $300 for hotels. Flights to Iceland are cheaper than flights to the DR from my major airport. AI vacation packages are still chraper flight wise on Sunwing and Air Transat.

What’s hurting us is the charter airlines are disappearing fast. The major carriers offer fewer flights, less quality service, and higher prices.

Reactions: windeguy

Big

Apr 24, 2019
my acquaintances keep telling me they're getting 300 usd roundtrip flights from SDQ to FLL; that sounds very reasonable to me; but of course, it's Spirit, and you're flying at 'O dark thirty', and all you can take is a half full plastic grocery bag, and you're sitting in the middle seat just fwd of the aft head
lol, I would rather chew broken glass.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Depending on the dates AA has RT from MIA to POP for $335.00, MIA to SDQ $276.00, MIA to STI $296.00. For various dates on Delta from JFK to STI $284.00, JFK to SDQ $295.00. United has similar fares out of Newark. There are some good fares out there, it just depends on the dates.

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
Depending on the dates AA has RT from MIA to POP for $335.00, MIA to SDQ $276.00, MIA to STI $296.00. For various dates on Delta from JFK to STI $284.00, JFK to SDQ $295.00. United has similar fares out of Newark. There are some good fares out there, it just depends on the dates.
that's basic economy, which includes nada, and seating in row 33 b or e; I fly 2x/year, AA SDQ-MIA, seat row 2 c or d, price has been ranging 870-960 usd, because I heard a rumor that 'you can't take it with you'

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
that's basic economy, which includes nada, and seating in row 33 b or e; I fly 2x/year, AA SDQ-MIA, seat row 2 c or d, price has been ranging 870-960 usd, because I heard a rumor that 'you can't take it with you'
You may want to check AA again, for main cabin on various dates MIA to SDQ is $353.00. Various dates for PHL to SDQ is $390.00 for main cabin. I actually just purchased 2 tickets the other day so there are main cabin fares which are very reasonable. The issue I have is finding dates that work for us.

Last edited:

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
I'm jealous of these ticket prices. It seems that flying is heavily discouraged from Europe.
Prices till end of 2024 about EUR 1.000

• Wow
Reactions: cavok and drstock

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One thing the DR government could do to reduce prices is reduce the ridiculously high taxes and fees on airfares.

They complain about it restricting tourism and then don't do what is in their power to reduce those airfares .

Reactions: chico bill

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I'm jealous of these ticket prices. It seems that flying is heavily discouraged from Europe.
Prices till end of 2024 about EUR 1.000
We're currently on the lookout of tickets for the summer and while prices in particular FRA-POP are expensive, nothing like that, where do you get the 1000 EUR?

PUJ is much cheaper from Europe, but I really really hate the roadtrip PUJ-POP... We've done that a few times out of obligation, but it's not fun...

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
We're currently on the lookout of tickets for the summer and while prices in particular FRA-POP are expensive, nothing like that, where do you get the 1000 EUR?

PUJ is much cheaper from Europe, but I really really hate the roadtrip PUJ-POP... We've done that a few times out of obligation, but it's not fun...

Josh, do u go PUJ to the capital, Santiago, and then PP?

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
Idd the airfare costs are high a lot of times. But a lot of people here on the north coast alwayhs think that pop airport is expensive (for taxes etc), but that is not the case.
In the article here (it is dutch but you can copy/past in google) a Belgian airline said they stopped flying on punta cana, because that airport has too high prices for fuel and taxes (in another article I read that punta cana has the highest taxes in the whole carribean, but I don't find that article now.

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
Tuifly, Brussel - Punta Cana, in april between 260 and 460 euro one way for a 9 hour flight....
Correct, in my case the destination is always SDQ.
Extra cost:
-Transport from the Netherlands to Brussels (parking at airport/hotel)
-Overnight stay in PUJ (late arrival time)
-Be picked up (and returned to PUJ) from SDQ

Sometimes (before Covid) it pays to fly from Brussels, but in recent years (since SDQ is no longer included in the destinations) it has been more difficult.