Do you use Wyze cameras?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
A new V4 with 2.5 QHD Resolution came out today. On sale for Wyze users for $29.95. (I grabbed 8 to replace my V3's.)

I can't wait to see the resolution on them.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
A new V4 with 2.5 QHD Resolution came out today. On sale for Wyze users for $29.95. (I grabbed 8 to replace my V3's.)

I can't wait to see the resolution on them.

Short answer > Yes we use Wyze cams, they are not too bad ..for the price. Does the job.

We have 10 or 12 of them...DR home and business ...two years and still going strong ...not one issue ...yet ...( hope I haven't just jinxed it) .😬😬...Only thing is the external cams are very easy to steal in the DR ...we've had two stolen...basically just yanked from the wall ...we think it's one of the neighbors' 'delincuentes'...so we have internal Wyze cams watching the external Wyze cams....they are cheap enough ...only in DR. 🇩🇴

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Short answer > Yes we use Wyze cams, they are not too bad ..for the price. Does the job.

We have 10 or 12 of them...DR home and business ...two years and still going strong ...not one issue ...yet ...( hope I haven't just jinxed it) .😬😬...Only thing is the external cams are very easy to steal in the DR ...we've had two stolen...basically just yanked from the wall ...we think it's one of the neighbors' 'delincuentes'...so we have internal Wyze cams watching the external Wyze cams....they are cheap enough ...only in DR. 🇩🇴
I have 11 and all of them are outside. Keeping windows clean is a real challenge for the indoor looking outdoor ones.

All of mine have cross-field views, so if somebody grabs one, I can see them do it on at least one other.

I'm hoping the new cameras really improve the view I get on my TV.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I use them and switches great ..I use there switches with contact relays to control pool pumps and jacuzzi..

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have 11 and all of them are outside. Keeping windows clean is a real challenge for the indoor looking outdoor ones.

All of mine have cross-field views, so if somebody grabs one, I can see them do it on at least one other.

I'm hoping the new cameras really improve the view I get on my TV.
my cameras, other than one are at least 12 feet or higher off the ground.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I've installed the new 2K cameras. The have a lot better resolution and excellent night vision along with a motion detector light.

IMG_20240406_195433.jpg

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
How do you monitor and select which camera to view (On TV, computer, smart phone, etc.)?

Are the cameras wireless?
Yes, you download their app to view on your cel phone via wifi but they need an electrical connection.
Each camera has motion-detected recording to an SD card (in the camera.)
You select which camera you want to view live onscreen on the app..
You can also use their website on your computer to watch as many as you want at any given moment, but that can be iffy at times (for watching live)
If you have a smart TV, you can use ctrl-K to project your computer screen via wifi to your TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: SantiagoDR

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Those images are fantastic quality but unfortunately criminals in the DR are not deterred by cameras.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Those images are fantastic quality but unfortunately criminals in the DR are not deterred by cameras.
And that was a picture of a picture.

But you're right, most criminals are too stupid to realize what cameras can do.

These cameras can be a big help in identifying them after the fact. Because after all, how many fotos from cameras have you seen that the perp isn't much more than a blurb?

This are screen grabs from this morning that shows the clarity:

80482C28C04F_1712497833774.jpg
80482C28F23D_1712502088982.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CristoRey

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Many might look at one, smile and wave. Lol

And that was a picture of a picture.

But you're right, most criminals are too stupid to realize what cameras can do.

These cameras can be a big help in identifying them after the fact. Because after all, how many fotos from cameras have you seen that the perp isn't much more than a blurb?

This is a screen grab from this morning that shows the clarity:

View attachment 8854
The other possibility is they simply don’t care. A camera is useless if it isn’t followed with strong enforcements of the rules. How many criminals in the DR get away with commiting a crime? There is a reason things like theft are higher in some places more than others and having more criminals is only part of the explanation. Like in the other response, without strong enforcements of the rules cameras are good for smiling at them.

Reactions: CristoRey

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Many might look at one, smile and wave. Lol

The other possibility is they simply don’t care. A camera is useless if it isn’t followed with strong enforcements of the rules. How many criminals in the DR get away with commiting a crime? There is a reason things like theft are higher in some places more than others and having more criminals is only part of the explanation. Like in the other response, without strong enforcements of the rules cameras are good for smiling at them.
So, you have a choice: Cameras, or no cameras.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Not sure if you care but with this thread one can find your exact location.
Some might with very little information, but most people aren’t able to do that. Most can’t even draw a silhouette of the DR which is close to reality all from memory. They have to look at a map and still they will make glaring errors. People that can’t do that have problems finding a place with little information.

Reminds me of the time a geography professor during my freshmen year in university was showing through a projector silhouettes of various ciuntries around the most, most not the typical ones people think about. She showed and the class was suppose to raise their hands and guess which ones they were. I answeredmost of them. lol As soon it appears, you see it and you just know, don’t even need to think about it. Even the professor crunched her eyebrows because she had never seen that.

Nov 9, 2023
SC
You're welcome to find mine. If you can't, let me know and I can tell you where I am.
I was tempted to do a simple test with your posted camera picture and google maps. Maybe curious to see how easy it is. By no means to offend you. It is an example.
Do you see a big white star outside?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I was tempted to do a simple test with your posted camera picture and google maps. Maybe curious to see how easy it is. By no means to offend you. It is an example.
Do you see a big white star outside?
No offense, my friend. I suspect you mean the Texaco station? (CV9W+C66)

Yes, it's in front of my house.

Last edited:

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The specs for the WYZE V4 states they have 4 channels.

How do you use more then 4?
I don't even know what channels are in the WYZE app. :rolleyes:

You can have up to 100 cameras on your cam plus subscription which is 99 bucks a year.