Why Dominican graduates from universities in the USA return to the DR at the start of their careers?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
These younger looking is Dr Héctor Guerrero Heredia, a psychiatrist that graduated from Yale University (New Haven, CT) and at the Graduate Hospital (Philadelphia, PA) and Dr Jorge Marte is a doctor with a specialty in pulmonary medicine and the chairman if CEDIMAT.

They both were offered very nice positions in which their incomes was going to be many hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to stay in the USA, but instead decided to return to the DR. This is despite they both were aware returning to the DR meant a big pay cut.

Dr Guerrero Heredia was asked what he wanted to do, stay in the USA with a position offered to him with a yearly income of about US$300,000 (this was in the 1990’s) or return to the DR, he said he will return and the response was that he was crazy. lol Others told him he should return and practice psychiatry in his country in his mother tongue because speaking English was going to limit him.

Dr Jorge Marte rejected staying in the USA with a compensation of half a million dollars a year to return to the DR.

They agree one of the reasons they returned and don’t plan to leave the DR is because of patriotism. Dr Guerrero Heredia even says “because we’re Dominicans.” None ever express ingratitude towards the USA or that they don’t think is a great country or anything of the sort. They simply choose a third world country because it’s their country with warts and all. They both also agree that despite they know they would had been in a better economic position if they would had stayed in the USA and that the doors to go back to the USA aren’t shut, they don’t regret moving back to the DR. This is despite Dr Jorge Marte complained that his time at the Salvador Gautier Hospital in SD was a waste. The regret is with the hospital, but no regret with the DR.

The program mostly touches other aspects of the medical situation in the DR.

Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
These younger looking is Dr Héctor Guerrero Heredia, a psychiatrist that graduated from Yale University (New Haven, CT) and at the Graduate Hospital (Philadelphia, PA) and Dr Jorge Marte is a doctor with a specialty in pulmonary medicine and the chairman if CEDIMAT.
Penn Medicine

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I highly doubt Dr. Yale (better known as Dr. Guerrero Heredia) was offered that sum of money as a recent graduate. ¡JABLADORAZO!

I refer to him as Dr. Yale, since he never stops talking about it. He's exhibit 'A' of a Dominican who loves to name drop.

I've interpreted for many, many healthcare professionals, some of whom were Rhodes Scholars and graduates of Harvard Medical School, UTSW, Johns Hopkins, etc... as well as for scientists and leaders in their respective fields, and NONE, not a single person, has bragged as much as Dr. Yale. In fact, even when I would engage them in conversations regarding their times at Oxford or at one of the Ivy schools, they would downplay it in humble fashion.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I highly doubt Dr. Yale (better known as Dr. Guerrero Heredia) was offered that sum of money as a recent graduate. ¡JABLADORAZO!

I refer to him as Dr. Yale, since he never stops talking about it. He's exhibit 'A' of a Dominican who loves to name drop.
He has said on multiple occasions that what he is most proud of was graduating from Yale. It must had been a dream of his parents too, but he didn’t had to say that since it’s obvious he is very proud of that.

If anyone is annoyed by that (not saying you’re), every university title says the person is granted all the rights to the related honors, privileges, obligations, etc of that title. That also includes, but isn’t required, “bragging rights.” lol If someone has that title and wants to mention it all the time, there really is not much anyone else can do about it since usually the bragger has the title the annoyed doesn’t (could have other titles or none at all.) That being a merit based title, once granted it usually accompanies the person to the grave. So, technically he can brag about it all the way to his death bed if he wants.

If “bragging rights” wasn’t included, anyone bragging about any title they have would cause them to lose that title, but it doesn’t.

I've interpreted for many, many healthcare professionals, some of whom were Rhodes Scholars and graduates of Harvard Medical School, UTSW, Johns Hopkins, etc... as well as for scientists and leaders in their respective fields, and NONE, not a single person, has bragged as much as Dr. Yale. In fact, even when I would engage them in conversations regarding their times at Oxford or at one of the Ivy schools, they would downplay it in humble fashion.
That’s because it’s common not to brag, but any of them can do it at anytime and no one else can do anything about it except complain. Common simply means most of the cases or most of the time, it doesn’t mean all.