Buy US or European Union-origin vehicles

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Muelle-Listin-Diario-1024x500.png

Vehicles imported from the United States or from European Union countries have a tax advantage in the Dominican Republic. The DR has signed free tax entry agreements for US or European Union country vehicles. This places the vehicles from these countries in a price advantage against Korean, Chinese or Japanese vehicles.

To compensate for not taxing these in Customs, the Tax Agency has created what is called the first license plate tax.

Read more in Spanish:Listin Diario

2 April 2024

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 9, 2004
Before anyone gets all excited about the "tax advantage" for the US, it has been in existence for 15 years.

Of course as the article states, the DR compensated for the tax reduction by instituting a 17% first placa......nullifying the tax advantage.

In the who writes this stuff department or does anyone at Listin proof read "Vehicles originating from the 52 USA states"

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Before anyone gets all excited about the "tax advantage" for the US it has been in existence for 15 years.

Of course as the article states, the DR compensated for the tax reduction by instituting a 17% first placa......nullifying the tax advantage.

In the who writes this stuff department or does anyone at Listin proof read "Vehicles originating from the 52 USA states"

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

So true, I don’t remember the exact amount we paid for first placa, but it was in the $2,000 USDollar range. 🤬

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Yes, sir. INDEED!
When I read it yesterday, I turned to my better half and asked, Where are the editors?