Chicken Etiquette in the DR

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
So I'm curious about proper chicken etiquette here in the DR. This afternoon I've been battling this chicken that visited me without an invite. She got the business end of a broom many times and left me some oh so nice presents on the floor. I thought had chased her out 2 times but I was wrong, she was just hiding somewhere. She is now officially out and hopefully she learned she is an unwelcome guest.

But what is normal here? Like Haiti, chickens here are mostly free range. This apparently was a neighbor's chicken who just wandered in and this was not the first time on the property. Do people consider this ok? I've had a stray cat or 2 come in which I wasn't thrilled about, but a nasty ass chicken is way over the top for me. I know I could shut the door but I like light and air and always have my big door open except at bed time. If I were to kill the stupid chicken, would the owners have any recourse (assuming of course they found out)?

Again, I hope that she learned her lesson and won't be back. But chickens are not the brightest of birds and there is no way of telling. Thanks in advance for any chicken advice.

Rob

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
print out a few of them and place them arround the entrance

Attachments

• kfc.JPG
    kfc.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 40

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Proper etiquette is to leave chickens alone, on your property, not in your house.... obviously.

However that is on them. I don't give a 💩....🤣.
Stupid chopo fighting cocks fly into my conuco and get dispatched very quickly.
Somebody started to say something, one day, a long time ago.
I told them to stuff it. My land, my rules. And cock fighting has to be up there with the most stupid " sport " on earth.
" My cock is stronger and badder than yours " lol.
" Yup, well my dogs fukc up your birds so bad that we only find pieces of them scattered around. Can I sign my dogs up for your pendejo fights ? "

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I am a cock fight connoisseur. I would go every day if I could. It is called a gentleman sport. I love to bet on the fights. Pedro, you can have a chicken dinner for sure. Just be sure it doesn't have anything attached to its legs; this would indicate it is someone's prized fighter. I doubt that however, the game birds are better cared for than family members.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Proper etiquette is to leave chickens alone, on your property, not in your house.... obviously.

However that is on them. I don't give a 💩....🤣.
Stupid chopo fighting cocks fly into my conuco and get dispatched very quickly.
Somebody started to say something, one day, a long time ago.
I told them to stuff it. My land, my rules. And cock fighting has to be up there with the most stupid " sport " on earth.
" My cock is stronger and badder than yours " lol.
" Yup, well my dogs fukc up your birds so bad that we only find pieces of them scattered around. Can I sign my dogs up for your pendejo fights ? "
With your dogs around the chickens that come into your yard are looking to transition.......to the after-life

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We deal with this daily. Chickens fly over our walls into our property and peck around looking for food. Some dogs ignore them, but others attack. Then we have to deal with angry neighbors who don’t seem to grasp the point that their chickens trespassed. They make noises threatening the dogs. Sometimes they follow through, we lost a wonderful rottie to a poison meatball over dead chickens, and he wasn’t the one killing them. ☹️

Big

Apr 24, 2019
There are several places in S,D that legally sell high velocity air rifles. They have the capacity to dispatch any living thing on the island.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Nothing is normal here. Whatever you do must be contemplated before doing it. Shoo a chicken, lose a dog. Walk on sidewalk, dodge a moto. Find a beautiful boa, hide the machete. Nothing is normal here. It’s all bizarre.

• Haha
Reactions: nigrarosa

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
So I'm curious about proper chicken etiquette here in the DR. This afternoon I've been battling this chicken that visited me without an invite. She got the business end of a broom many times and left me some oh so nice presents on the floor. I thought had chased her out 2 times but I was wrong, she was just hiding somewhere. She is now officially out and hopefully she learned she is an unwelcome guest.

But what is normal here? Like Haiti, chickens here are mostly free range. This apparently was a neighbor's chicken who just wandered in and this was not the first time on the property. Do people consider this ok? I've had a stray cat or 2 come in which I wasn't thrilled about, but a nasty ass chicken is way over the top for me. I know I could shut the door but I like light and air and always have my big door open except at bed time. If I were to kill the stupid chicken, would the owners have any recourse (assuming of course they found out)?

Again, I hope that she learned her lesson and won't be back. But chickens are not the brightest of birds and there is no way of telling. Thanks in advance for any chicken advice.

Rob
The truth is that proper etiquette depends on the bird. If an old hen(gallina) comes in, only stewing is appropriate. On the other hand a nice young chicken can be roasted or fried.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Well, I was wrong that she was gone. She tried to fit under our gate and evidently could not the first time. After getting out of the shower, she was still here in the yard. My right foot helped her fit thru the bottom of the gate, hopefully forever.
She is never going to leave now that you have given her shower privileges.

• Haha
Reactions: Tarheel

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have three that come to my area daily, probably because my neighbor breeds Parakeets. My cat master hardly pays attention to them, and just sits there when they come to peck at the feed.
If one gets too close to the Master Cat, he gives them a bop on the beak without even standing.
That's the full extent of my entertainment.

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
Why battle!?

Embrace your chicken!!

They too are over joyed, excited to have routine meals, a bowl of fresh water and a safe place to sleep without fear of attack as well...

Fix the 'nasty ass' part of the problem by giving him\her a bath:

Below is a site with some help getting acquainted with the in's and out's of:

1. Diet
2. Health
3. Training (yes it is possible)
... and even how to deal with some of the 'big' ones that will eventually bully the small ...

All this for less than the cost of probably two pesos per day !

;P

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Why battle!?

Embrace your chicken!!

They too are over joyed, excited to have routine meals, a bowl of fresh water and a safe place to sleep without fear of attack as well...

Fix the 'nasty ass' part of the problem by giving him\her a bath:

Below is a site with some help getting acquainted with the in's and out's of:

1. Diet
2. Health
3. Training (yes it is possible)
... and even how to deal with some of the 'big' ones that will eventually bully the small ...

All this for less than the cost of probably two pesos per day !

;P
If we could train them to crap in the grass, I would have no problem. But given I'm not a big fan of chicken-shit (literal or figurative), that's a no go.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Well, I was wrong that she was gone. She tried to fit under our gate and evidently could not the first time. After getting out of the shower, she was still here in the yard. My right foot helped her fit thru the bottom of the gate, hopefully forever.
Man VS Chicken please keep me posted I find this more entertaining then the overstay topic or Bob having a canary if you disagree with him

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Order a couple of these from Amazon (photo below) for outside, and problem solved.

Attachments

• dog.jpg
    dog.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 29

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
We deal with this daily. Chickens fly over our walls into our property and peck around looking for food. Some dogs ignore them, but others attack. Then we have to deal with angry neighbors who don’t seem to grasp the point that their chickens trespassed. They make noises threatening the dogs. Sometimes they follow through, we lost a wonderful rottie to a poison meatball over dead chickens, and he wasn’t the one killing them. ☹️

Yeah, I fully understand the problem 😢.

Thankfully a combination of the neighbors understanding ---- well at least knowing -----that I don't want their cocks in my conuco and us throwing the bloody animals over the hedge when we can get our hands on them, means that any thoughts of them complaining were quashed years ago.

I also have chickens, of the real kind not the poofter birds, and my dogs don't kill them.
They live in a fenced off area with greenery and water, and trees to sleep on, like normal people keep chicken.
When one keeps chickens in a cage -like- thing and that cage is parked with dozens of others on a dusty patch of earth, well the first thing the birds do when they get out is dart for the green lushy grounds.

The only thing that comes to mind when I see grown-ass men cheering on poofy birds that are half as heavy as my shoes, is quote unquote Losers !!!

Reactions: AlterEgo