Seven vehicles impacted in chain-reaction accident in La Romana

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Accidente-en-cadena-La-Romana-Noticias-SIN-1024x757.png

At least seven vehicles were caught in a multiple-vehicle crash on Friday, 5 April 2024 on the Autovía del Este that connects San Pedro de Macoris and La Romana. Preliminary reports are that one person died and several were injured. The accident was reportedly caused when one freighter truck tried to pass another.

Multiple vehicle crashes are becoming too common in the Dominican Republic. A US insurance company recommends drivers avoid tailgating keeping a safe distance to allow for maneuvering, keeping to the “slow” speed limits on highways, and especially keeping eyes on the road and an eye on the other drivers. The recommendation is for drivers to keep an eye on the rearview mirror and to make sure one is not being tailgated, and if so, changing lanes or letting that vehicle pass you is recommended.

Read...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I’m actually surprised these things don’t hapoen more often, not that the happen because even in countries where driving laws are followed by most chain-reaction accidents happen every year. The DR wouldn’t be any different whether most drivers are good or bad.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Most of the chain-reaction accidents I've seen in the US were when it was snowing, raining, and with low visibility conditions - not on bright, sunny days.

Reactions: PCMike

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Plus Dominicans, not just in cars but motos too, are texting or talking on cell phones and driving

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I don't think I've ever traveled north or south on the Autopista Duarte without ending up behind a tractor-trailer passing another one.
One time I passed by a tractor trailer on the Duarte in the kilómetros heading to Moca… This was at night. Did I mentioned a patana was involved in a huge accident and had the entire lane next to the median blocked off?

My aunt and a grandmother-aunt were with us and as soon everyone saw the accident and the reason for the traffic jam, they began to pray loudly over and over and over again. I don’t know what was worse, seeing the accident or hearing them pray like a broken record for a good length after passing that.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I don't think I've ever traveled north or south on the Autopista Duarte without ending up behind a tractor-trailer passing another one.
I've never traveled north or south on the Autopista Duarte without at least a half dozen tractor trailers driving slowly in the left hand lane forcing everyone to pass on the right.

Reactions: PCMike and drstock

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've never traveled north or south on the Autopista Duarte without at least a half dozen tractor trailers driving slowly in the left hand lane forcing everyone to pass on the right.
Oh, so true.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Autopista Duarte is my very least favorite highways/roads. The tractor trailers are either moving slowly or driving at high speeds paying no attention to the surrounding traffic. On three occasions, within months of each other, at the turn going up into Piedra Blanca toward Cotui, there were accidents involving trucks that did not bother to slow down. One ran right into the back of a bus parked at the stop near the gas station where the turn is.