Another missionary killed in Haiti

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Just saw this come up in the News .
very Sad.. Rest in Peace.

At this Point , anyone who is still in Haiti as Missionary , you got Balls I will give you that , but you really need to Re Think how you want to HELP people, cuz Dead is no way to Help anyone in the Future.

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
I saw it on my FB feed earlier this morning. It truly saddened my heart; one of those moments in which I question things... Stay the course, or walk away.

Here's the mission's website... Note that a father is a state representative.

• Sad
Reactions: JD Jones

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
In my post of 3 min ago, I mentioned that I hope they're remembered for a long time.

In honor of them, I'd like to remember a friend and coworker in Haiti who was also murdered, about 9 years ago - Roberta Edwards Audate

https://christianchronicle.org/miss...or-roberta-edwards-dies-in-shooting-in-haiti/

“She took care of us until her last breath.”

That’s how Widlord Thomas described his adopted mother, Roberta Edwards, who was shot to death Oct. 10 by gunmen who then abducted one of the children she served in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.

Edwards, 55, was the founder and director of SonLight Children’s Home, where she was an adopted mother for 20 children. She was returning from a trip for gasoline with three of the children when a vehicle pulled in front of her and forced her to stop.

The two teenage passengers fled the vehicle after Edwards told them to run for their lives, members of the missionary’s supporting congregation, the Estes Church of Christ in Henderson, Tenn., told the Associated Press.

Edwards was shot multiple times at the wheel of her vehicle, and the gunmen then grabbed 4-year-old Jonathan “JoJo” Paul and fled in a vehicle with tinted windows, according to fellow missionaries.

“Hearts are breaking for him. And we certainly hope that whoever took him, wherever he is, whoever has him, will return him as soon as possible,” Larry Waymire, a longtime missionary to the Caribbean and friend of Edwards, told the AP.

Church members and missionaries connected to the children’s home say that they have received no ransom demand or communication from the kidnappers.

“Many people in the community are grieving for her death,” said Thomas, who was raised by Edwards at SonLight and now serves as an assistant director of the ministry. “She has been doing the Lord’s work in Haiti for 20 years.”

The Christian Chronicle profiled Edwards as she responded to the devastating 2010 earthquake in Port-au-Prince, which claimed the life of one child at the orphanage.

Edwards built the ministry from the rubble of a collapsed marriage. She moved from North Carolina to Haiti in 1995 with her husband, a native Haitian. Five years later he left, and Edwards’ parents expected her to come home. But by then she already was caring for several orphaned and abandoned children.

“So I decided to stay and do whatever needed to be done,” she said.

The Estes Church of Christ in Henderson, Tenn., began supporting her work, which expanded to include 30 children. She also oversees a nutrition center that feeds about 120 neighborhood children twice per day, five days each week. She works closely with church-supported groups, including Indiana-based Manna Global Ministries.

For her 50th birthday, Edwards’ parents took her on her first real vacation since she moved to Haiti — a Caribbean cruise. She was exploring Grand Cayman when the quake hit.

“I didn’t sleep another night until I got there,” she said. “I had to get home. I had to get to my kids.”
Edwards was “dedicated to bringing hope to the hopeless,” members of the Estes church wrote in a statement. “She knew that she worked in a dangerous setting, but had committed herself to care for children in Haiti despite these risks.”

Edwards was involved in multiple development projects in Haiti and was hosting a workshop for Haitian teachers and teachers from the U.S., sponsored by Healing Hands International, at the time of the shooting. A mission team from the Estes church also was working with Edwards at the orphanage and returned to the U.S. safely.

Harold Pirtle, an elder of the Estes church, traveled from Tennessee to comfort the children at SonLight. He told the AP that Edwards, during a recent trip to Tennessee, said she had been feeling “tired” and “scared.” She didn’t elaborate or mention receiving any threats, Pirtle added. After two decades of ministry, she had considered returning to the U.S., but told Pirtle “I can’t leave the kids.”

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I quoted those missionaries a few weeks ago in a thread about Haiti. They said they were safe, for now and that the gangs said they would hide in DR when the groups came to Haiti. 2 of those missionaries, the parents, just flew to USA half a day before the gangs entered their home. 2 gangs were fighting each other and beat up then killed those missionaries that lost their lives. When they shared this early this morning on their FB page it was devastating.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

rest in peace but for God's sake why would you go there I understand that they are doing God's work but it's so unsafe.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Well let's see what happens after the Kenyan president's visit in the Rose Garden with the Cadaver-Man.
They discussed Haiti but I don't see Kenya's making much of a difference. They will either be corrupted or killed or stay in their barracks - and I don't think they will stay long
As was brought up in the conference - since Kenya has out of control provinces themselves they can not control how will 1,000 Kenyans control Haiti ?

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
As was brought up in the conference - since Kenya has out of control provinces themselves they can not control how will 1,000 Kenyans control Haiti ?

I don't know why people think "...1,000 Kenyans..." have to "...control Haiti... Haiti doesn't have country-wide gang violence, the constant gang violence is mainly limited to center areas that make up maybe 5% of the Ouest department, which itself is maybe 25% of the entire Haitian landmass. Therefore, any "...control..." that is needed would be in relation to maybe 1.25% of Haiti.

Here's a map of the violent areas from 2023...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I don't know why people think "...1,000 Kenyans..." have to "...control Haiti... Haiti doesn't have country-wide gang violence, the constant gang violence is mainly limited to center areas that make up maybe 5% of the Ouest department, which itself is maybe 25% of the entire Haitian landmass. Therefore, any "...control..." that is needed would be in relation to maybe 1.25% of Haiti.

Here's a map of the violent areas from 2023...

Going by the map, the area that Gangs are active or in control is the most populated places, all the major cities.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

At this Point , anyone who is still in Haiti as Missionary , you got Balls I will give you that , but you really need to Re Think how you want to HELP people, cuz Dead is no way to Help anyone in the Future.
They think nothing will happen to them and it doesn’t until it does.

Reactions: jd426

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
Going by the map, the area that Gangs are active or in control is the most populated places, all the major cities.
Not really "...all major cities...", as Cap-Haïtien isn't under gang control... There is violence in Gonaïves, but not like in Port-au-Prince. Same in Jacmel and Les Cayes.

So you haven't read the map very well, Bob... And if you had properly understood what I said in my comment you would see how your above comment is really disinformation in relation to what I said.

Here's what I said...

"I don't know why people think "...1,000 Kenyans..." have to "...control Haiti... Haiti doesn't have country-wide gang violence, the constant gang violence is mainly limited to center areas that make up maybe 5% of the Ouest department, which itself is maybe 25% of the entire Haitian landmass. Therefore, any "...control..." that is needed would be in relation to maybe 1.25% of Haiti."

The "...5% of the Ouest department..." area does have the highest population of Haitians in the country... But my point was regarding "...1,000 Kenyans..." having to "...control Haiti..."... They don't... They need to control the 5% area of the Ouest department... Which is not a very large area, compared to the entire country.

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ

balls without brains usually doesn't work out well

• Haha
Reactions: CristoRey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Not really "...all major cities...", as Cap-Haïtien isn't under gang control... There is violence in Gonaïves, but not like in Port-au-Prince. Same in Jacmel and Les Cayes.

So you haven't read the map very well, Bob... And if you had properly understood what I said in my comment you would see how your above comment is really disinformation in relation to what I said.

Here's what I said...

"I don't know why people think "...1,000 Kenyans..." have to "...control Haiti... Haiti doesn't have country-wide gang violence, the constant gang violence is mainly limited to center areas that make up maybe 5% of the Ouest department, which itself is maybe 25% of the entire Haitian landmass. Therefore, any "...control..." that is needed would be in relation to maybe 1.25% of Haiti."

The "...5% of the Ouest department..." area does have the highest population of Haitians in the country... But my point was regarding "...1,000 Kenyans..." having to "...control Haiti..."... They don't... They need to control the 5% area of the Ouest department... Which is not a very large area, compared to the entire country.
I said active- Orange blob over Cap Haitien

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
balls without brains usually doesn't work out well

There is only ONE guy who comes to mind , who literally has the Balls and Brains to go almost anywhere in the world, the most dangerous dangerous Favelas in Brazil, streets in Colombia we would not dare ,Pakistan, countless other places , you name it he has documented going there, all Alone, not even a Camera Man .. and he comes out unscathed and people treat him with Respect, and accept him. He has the swagger to pull it off, but even He would not stay in Haiti for more than one or 2 days visit, and he has been there , in fact . Crossing Illegally back and forth, which is why he got into Hot water .
He has now been BANNED from the DR for Life. for exposing on Video what Scams being Run at the the Border with the DR Border Guards as willing participants .

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There is only ONE guy who comes to mind , who literally has the Balls and Brains to go almost anywhere in the world, the most dangerous dangerous Favelas in Brazil, streets in Colombia we would not dare ,Pakistan, countless other places , you name it he has documented going there, all Alone, not even a Camera Man .. and he comes out unscathed and people treat him with Respect, and accept him. He has the swagger to pull it off, but even He would not stay in Haiti for more than one or 2 days visit, and he has been there , in fact . Crossing Illegally back and forth, which is why he got into Hot water .
He has now been BANNED from the DR for Life. for exposing on Video what Scams being Run at the the Border with the DR Border Guards as willing participants .
Are you sure that’s the reason he has been banned? There are plenty of videos by others about those scams. His wasn’t the first one and many more has appeared after his. :unsure: