Electric Cable Issues

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
When they were doing the first phase of remodeling the Colonial Zone and digging up the streets. There was a section at Padre Billini and La Católica where the electric cables were under the ground for many years. They started digging. I told them to be careful of the electric cables. The so called engineer was so rude. He asked me where I got my engineering degree and he told me he knew what he was doing. Just as I turned to leave there was an explosion of sparks. The backhoe driver hit and broke the cables. I turned and bowed to the engineer smiling. We were 6 days without electricity while they repaired the cable.

When they bury the cables it seems like a great idea but they have not mapped where those cables lie and can't seem to find them afterwards. Also, I'm sure someone digging in the street to fix water or something won't call before digging to find out where the lines are buried.

Also, it would take away many tourist photo ops. Lol

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Dominicans can't coordinate to bury anything and maintain or avoid it.
Coraplata has the 2" deep rule - and they wonder why there are so many leaks
Electric underground is a good idea to protect from Hurricanes but even though there are many outages of overhead lines imagine the time it would take to dig up and repair underground power - and then the streets would never be repaired -
Anyone ever seen Coraplata fix their excavations in less than 6 months ?

Reactions: cavok and drstock

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
When they were doing the first phase of remodeling the Colonial Zone and digging up the streets. There was a section at Padre Billini and La Católica where the electric cables were under the ground for many years. They started digging. I told them to be careful of the electric cables. The so called engineer was so rude. He asked me where I got my engineering degree and he told me he knew what he was doing. Just as I turned to leave there was an explosion of sparks. The backhoe driver hit and broke the cables. I turned and bowed to the engineer smiling. We were 6 days without electricity while they repaired the cable.

When they bury the cables it seems like a great idea but they have not mapped where those cables lie and can't seem to find them afterwards. Also, I'm sure someone digging in the street to fix water or something won't call before digging to find out where the lines are buried.

Also, it would take away many tourist photo ops. Lol
I'm not surprised and even if there is a map for where the cables are buried it's still a very delicate situation

Reactions: chico bill

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I am not sure where this is but what a example what DR should do the same:
As pointed out in the first video, this is easier said than done. In many locations in EU even much larger cables are being buried at the moment, and that hideously expensive and to do this properly you need to plan plan and again plan. The cost of the cable is often passed to the customers, so the rates will hike like you can't even imagine. In my opinion, the result in terms of having the cables outside or underground is definitely very beautiful scenery (without the cables) and excellent reliability of service, but that comes with the said cost.

Also as pointed out by Jan above, working methods and engineering needs some work or change to even make this possible (the attitude of engineers)...

Reactions: aarhus