Keeping perspective on Dominican Mother's Day

Aug 21, 2007
Long story. Forgive me.

I have a daily gardener who works Monday through Friday. He is loyal, but uneducated and lazy. He can pick up dog poop. He can clean palms and move dirt in gardens. But that is about it. When we tried to teach him to use the lawn mover, he was pushing it on the back two wheels. When we taught him to use the weed whacker, someone nearby wanted to give him instructions, and while it was running, he lifted it up, turned to face the person……and almost cut off his head!

Thus I have a weekend gardener. This man has a full time regular gardening job in a big project in Sosua. He has worked there for 10 years. He lives just below Jamao in Palo Amarillo, does not have a car or motor, so every day he must take public transportation which will necessitates about 1 1/2 hour to arrive there and again back home at day’s end. He is about 35 years old. Lives with his mother. Was married, but his wife died of cancer a couple of years ago......He is still paying the hospital bills on his gardener’s salary.

Anyway, he comes on his days off to do the gardening the other gardener is incapable of.

Last week he wrote to me. He asked forgiveness for the question, but wanted to know if I would loan him 5,000 pesos. I make a policy of never loaning any employee or friend. It only leads to hard feelings, lazy work, or lost friendships. He said he would provide me a written agreement and sign it and work for nothing until it was paid off.

I asked why he needs that money. He replied that Sunday (tomorrow) is Mother’s Day and he wants to buy his mother a toilet.

Living in the campo often gives me lessons such as these, reality checks. I am fortunate to have lived here long enough to know those using me from those truly in need. I am glad he asked me. (Especially because I asked myself what frivolous thing I wanted for Mother’s Day?)

This is why I live here. It keeps me grounded and real.

To all you mothers, Happy Mother’s Day.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I did a 6000 peso loan to my main moto driver since 2008. for catchers equipment for his youngest boy. He’s good. It was paid back in errands and other services. He lives near me so I see him every day I’m there. Now his sh!tbox car got flooded out in the Maranatha flood last month. 10K Now. Let’s see how this loan goes. I have more faith in him than the wife’s family.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, I would certainly make that loan, but my only concern is that you will never see him again. I would suggest paying him half wages until the loan is paid off to give him an incentive to keep working.