Vegetables in Constanza... Wow!

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
I was surfing through some videos on YouTube and saw a little footage on agriculture in the Constanza area... Everything looked so healthy (even the local folk)... And extra large... The carrots, scallion, and lettuce heads... Very impressive in look and size.

Beautiful mountain landscape too.

Definitely somewhere I'd like to visit.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
The VegeMan goes there every week to deliver farm fresh Veges to the Sosua - Cabarete market..... Most of those veges you saw don't make it to the north coast, only the segunda because the premium go where the money is, Santo Domingo or Punta Cana area.....
It's a very beautiful area and you wouldn't think you were in the DR or even the Caribbean once there....
You need to go.....

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
PJT and wife go to Constanza on occasion to get well away from the heat of the coast to enjoy the mountain views, breath the fresh air, and soak in the tranquility. A great benefit is going to Constanza's local central market area and stock up on very fresh vegetables and strawberries. They are so much cheaper at the source. The street parking is a bear. The Constanza area is very well worth a tour. The road access to Constanza from Autopista Duarte, 45km +-, is inclined, narrow, has many curves, sides with steep drop offs, and wonderful views. The road to Constanza from Jarabacoa is similar, hilly, has awe inspiring views, and little villages every so often. A confident and prudent driver will have little problem adjusting to the roads if traveling without a professional or local driver. A 4x4 is recommended for campo roads.

Regards,

PJT

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

These Canadians on this U Tube channel video covered a little of the Farming from 18:10 to like 24 min mark .. the beginning of the video explains the Interesting Climate of the high Altitude Area .. Pretty Cold up there .
Would like to see more videos specifically covering the Farming

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
I was surfing through some videos on YouTube and saw a little footage on agriculture in the Constanza area... Everything looked so healthy (even the local folk)... And extra large... The carrots, scallion, and lettuce heads... Very impressive in look and size.

Yeah right ! Go through the valley of Constanza between 05:30 and 06:30 am when they spray all this "healthy" veggies. You can hardly see 100 m ahead in this pestizid clouds.

Nov 9, 2023
SC
46f4536e-35c8-466e-a922-cc29a8dcc5a9.jpeg

We get this directly from the source for sale in our small supermercado in San Cristobal.

Reactions: MoJoInDR

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yeah right ! Go through the valley of Constanza between 05:30 and 06:30 am when they spray all this "healthy" veggies. You can hardly see 100 m ahead in this pestizid clouds.
yes, in the main agricultural area, pesticides are used but there are places that don't use them.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

What will really blow you away is that you literally can't see a spot of earth that doesn't have something planted on it. Even the sides of hills and cliffs have things planted.

By far my favorite town.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Um, I'm pretty sure that's morning haze, not pesticide clouds. You can see haze almost every morning

lot-cibao-la-vega-25589_full.jpg

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I remember fairly good sized flower growing farms as you leave Constanza heading toward San Jose de Ocoa. It is impressive to visit the area and see the difference in scenery and climate. Good friends of the family own and manage Altocerros, which is very nice.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
yes, in the main agricultural area, pesticides are used but there are places that don't use them.
No way on earth to comercially grow fruits or veggies without pestizides. Even Organic growers spray certified pestized. If you want pestizide free veggies, grow them in your garden and pray that no plaque get's them before you.

Reactions: Fulano2 and Bred

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I remember fairly good sized flower growing farms as you leave Constanza heading toward San Jose de Ocoa. It is impressive to visit the area and see the difference in scenery and climate. Good friends of the family own and manage Altocerros, which is very nice.
There is one or two viveros on the main road at the base of Altocerros. The flowers for sale are wonderful. They grow well in the mountain environment. Bringing them to the lower flatlands for replanting is a risk to their growth. You have to know your flowers to know where
they will thrive. Beside local fruits and veggies, the wife wants to bring flowers from Constanza home for her garden.

Regards,

PJT

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There is one or two viveros on the main road at the base of Altocerros. The flowers for sale are wonderful. They grow well in the mountain environment. Bringing them to the lower flatlands for replanting is a risk to their growth. You have to know your flowers to know where
they will thrive. Beside local fruits and veggies, the wife wants to bring flowers from Constanza home for her garden.

Regards,

PJT
There is a flower company named Constanza (very original, lol) with several stores in SD and Santiago. They sell flowers that are grown mostly in Constanza.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
No way on earth to comercially grow fruits or veggies without pestizides. Even Organic growers spray certified pestized. If you want pestizide free veggies, grow them in your garden and pray that no plaque get's them before you.
As a child my parents had 60 acres of organic farm. Buckwheat, Oats, potatoes, cabbage, lettuce, berries (lots of different ones) turnips, asparagus, carrots, onions, radishes, garlic and lots of weeds. We did a lot of companion planting, use Neen oil and Safers soap, vinegar...and hand picking of bugs. Chickens got lots of the insects as well. Organic farming is a lot of work but there was 5 of us boys and we worked hard.

Reactions: MoJoInDR and Farmer