OK, my rant for the day.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've mentioned before my batteries are giving up on me and I'm thinking about gel or Lithium instead.

The more I look at Lithium, the more I realize I'm not going to spend that kind of money on batteries when they hardly ever get used.

So that leaves me with the gel option. Lots of places have deep cycle gel batteries for solar systems that look like they would work.

So, I jump on FB marketplace, and find a guy in San Cristobal who has them for about 12K each, and insists they'll last 10x longer than regular lead batteries.

Seems decent. Great, I'm ready to do the deal. I ask him if he'll deliver, and he says "Sure, no problem! Where do you live?"

I tell him, and he says delivery will be 12K pesos. HUH?

I thought to myself there's no way I'm paying 12K to deliver batteries, so I ask where he's located and he says Hainamosa.

I told him his ad says San Cristobal, and he says he posts locations all around SD to get more customers.

No concept of how to do business at all.

I ask another vendor located on the Malecon. I confirm where she is, ask her how much the batteries cost, she tells me and says she'll deliver to San Cristobal.

I ask her if she has the ones in the ad, and she says no, but she's expecting some NEXT MONTH!

I ask her which ones does have in stock. None.

With 10 ads on FB marketplace.

You never get used to it.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The things you just never get used to living here. There are days it's just mind boggling how these people survive.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Then you will see a great deal on a listing and they say I'll hold it for you if you send me a deposit - yeah right, oldest scam in the book after "The check is in the mail"

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I've mentioned before my batteries are giving up on me and I'm thinking about gel or Lithium instead.

The more I look at Lithium, the more I realize I'm not going to spend that kind of money on batteries when they hardly ever get used.

So that leaves me with the gel option. Lots of places have deep cycle gel batteries for solar systems that look like they would work.

So, I jump on FB marketplace, and find a guy in San Cristobal who has them for about 12K each, and insists they'll last 10x longer than regular lead batteries.

Seems decent. Great, I'm ready to do the deal. I ask him if he'll deliver, and he says "Sure, no problem! Where do you live?"

I thought to myself there's no way I'm paying 12K to deliver batteries, so I ask where he's located and he says Hainamosa.

I told him his ad says San Cristobal, and he says he posts locations all around SD to get more customers.

I ask another vendor located on the Malecon. I confirm where she is, ask her how much the batteries cost, she tells me and says she'll deliver to San Cristobal.

I ask her if she has the ones in the ad, and she says no, but she's expecting some NEXT MONTH!

I sent you a private message.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

I had no idea where is Hainamosa, looked up in Google Maps...
Why would he not simply deliver without a charge, or use some service to deliver (without a charge for customer)? If the product costs 12k per piece...
I mean, I can understand posting on different locations, but he should then definitely eat the shipping cost, as he is getting more business?

Yes, I agree, no concept of business at all...

drpesson

Jul 1, 2022
navas
i bought one time with a fb ad. they never sent it. There was no way to get my money back. I dont understand why anyone would buy with fb.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
i bought one time with a fb ad. they never sent it. There was no way to get my money back. I dont understand why anyone would buy with fb.
FB in the DR perhaps .. but dont generalize.. I have made some Amazing Purchases on FB.. one of them was a substantial savings . . I look there first in fact before I would ever buy anything New .
But yes, there are a Lot of Scammers , you have to know how to spot them.. with Bigger Items its very easy, because they are greedy and use STOLEN PHOTOS , and they list the same Item in multiple Cities .
One can say this is to get more exposure outside the Miles/ radius , but in the DR geographically speaking, that would not be the case .
Spot fake photos, and you know .. and meet them in person, never send money by wire .
Also they have to be willing to speak with you by phone to discuss and you can ask specific questions, If they refuse, they are Scamming u because they know nothing about the product, cuz it dont exist.

drpesson

Jul 1, 2022
navas
FB in the DR perhaps .. but dont generalize.. I have made some Amazing Purchases on FB.. one of them was a substantial savings . . I look there first in fact before I would ever buy anything New .
But yes, there are a Lot of Scammers , you have to know how to spot them.. with Bigger Items its very easy, because they are greedy and use STOLEN PHOTOS , and they list the same Item in multiple Cities .
One can say this is to get more exposure outside the Miles/ radius , but in the DR geographically speaking, that would not be the case .
Spot fake photos, and you know .. and meet them in person, never send money by wire .
Also they have to be willing to speak with you by phone to discuss and you can ask specific questions, If they refuse, they are Scamming u because they know nothing about the product, cuz it dont exist.
ok thanks.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have purchased a few items from FB businesses that allow for COD.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

Dominican business logic needs a overhaul... the gym I go to needs new machines, has no parking... and the A/C is questionable, and is losing customers....so the owner just did the right thing, charged the remaining customers more money..............

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Dominican business logic needs a overhaul... the gym I go to needs new machines, has no parking... and the A/C is questionable, and is losing customers....so the owner just did the right thing, charged the remaining customers more money..............
this is the only place in the world where a guy will beat you for money then see you in a restaurant and come over to you and say hello how are things going with no shame at all

Reactions: colmcb

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
My rant for the day. Went to the beach with the kids (Juan Dolio). Usual place we go to is closed, so we went to a new place, more upmarket. Enjoying it, saying we are pleased to have discovered a new place, nice customers (but almost empty), nobody shouting, nice music, nice vibe. Then a car full of barrio brats comes along and sets up the mother of all speakers about 20 feet away from the restaurant, blasting out dembow so loud that nobody can hear themselves speak. I complain to the waiter. Typical "no es mi culpa" response, it's outside the restaurant nothing can be done. Complain again. He says he will speak to the manager. He says she is going to sort it out. Nothing happens, we can't talk while we are having lunch, whole point of the day is being ruined.

I go and speak to the manager, who says she isn't the manager as the manager is off today. But she is the one in charge. And no she didn't know anything about the problem nobody had told her. But she can't do anything about it. I mentioned that it was illegal and she should call the police. Ah yes, I'll do that she says. Have you got their number. Eventually she calls. Police come, music is turned off for a few mins. Police go, music turned back on.

I suggested that maybe if they want to get a more upmarket crowd to spend money in their restaurant, they need to find a solution. Yes you're right she says. But doesn't occur to her to call the police again. It's like pushing water uphill trying to get people to understand simple business concepts here. It's a shame because the venue was really nice, the music inside was good, it should have been much much busier but obviously nobody with any class wants to sit and listen to that racket.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
My rant for the day. Went to the beach with the kids (Juan Dolio). Usual place we go to is closed, so we went to a new place, more upmarket. Enjoying it, saying we are pleased to have discovered a new place, nice customers (but almost empty), nobody shouting, nice music, nice vibe. Then a car full of barrio brats comes along and sets up the mother of all speakers about 20 feet away from the restaurant, blasting out dembow so loud that nobody can hear themselves speak. I complain to the waiter. Typical "no es mi culpa" response, it's outside the restaurant nothing can be done. Complain again. He says he will speak to the manager. He says she is going to sort it out. Nothing happens, we can't talk while we are having lunch, whole point of the day is being ruined.

I go and speak to the manager, who says she isn't the manager as the manager is off today. But she is the one in charge. And no she didn't know anything about the problem nobody had told her. But she can't do anything about it. I mentioned that it was illegal and she should call the police. Ah yes, I'll do that she says. Have you got their number. Eventually she calls. Police come, music is turned off for a few mins. Police go, music turned back on.

I suggested that maybe if they want to get a more upmarket crowd to spend money in their restaurant, they need to find a solution. Yes you're right she says. But doesn't occur to her to call the police again. It's like pushing water uphill trying to get people to understand simple business concepts here. It's a shame because the venue was really nice, the music inside was good, it should have been much much busier but obviously nobody with any class wants to sit and listen to that racket.
Just remember, if you feel overwhelmed with the system, a thing you can't count on for sure is that there always exists someone who is being squeezed harder 😔

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo

I stayed thursday at Juan Dolio, only a few people to share the beach, even our small dog could go around without trouble. I never go on weekends for this reason, love to chill without the crowd. What's the name of the Restaurant your went to?

Reactions: jd426