President Abinader stresses the importance of infrastructure investments

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Luis-Abinader-Conferencia-CAF-Presidencia-1024x583.png

President Luis Abinader announced Wednesday, 4 September 2024 that the Dominican government is giving priority to new infrastructure investments as part of its sustainable development strategy. Abinader was a keynote speaker at the 27th Annual Conference of the Development Bank of Latin America and the Caribbean (CAF) on Infrastructure Investment in Latin America and the Caribbean in New York on Wednesday.

Speaking in English, President Abinader said in New York:

“We are fully committed to paving the way for new infrastructure investments which are essential to driving sustainable development and achieving a virtual circle of prosperity and growth in the Americas. Inclusive and sustainable economic growth, political stability and individual freedom are intrinsically linked and can only truly thrive in a democratic system that protects human rights. Development...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I kinda sorta wish he focused a bit more on electricity and water.
The things all of those businesses need. I know it is mentioned, but actually doing it.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I kinda sorta wish he focused a bit more on electricity and water.
The things all of those businesses need. I know it is mentioned, but actually doing it.
I wonder if the native Domincanos/as view it the same way. It appears as though they have gotten used to it and it's not a priority with them. Same with education.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I wonder if the native Domincanos/as view it the same way. It appears as though they have gotten used to it and it's not a priority with them. Same with education.
Or, do Dominicans view the electric as "the company" and the roads, potholes, bridges, etc as the "government"? In addition the government being their bosses in a great % of the population. At election time which do they vote with the "electric hand" or the other hand?? IDK?

Reactions: NanSanPedro

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I know the electric situation needs a lot of improvement, but it has come a long way since I first started coming/living in the DR.

Reactions: Jan and NanSanPedro

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I know the electric situation needs a lot of improvement, but it has come a long way since I first started coming/living in the DR.

When I first came (early 70s) electricity in SD was 24/7. I don’t remember when the rolling blackouts started but I don’t remember them when we stayed with in-laws in the 80s. Downhill to awful, then got amazingly better the past few years , so much so that everyone in the family got rid of their inverters when the batteries weakened, including us. Now we have to reinstall the last one we had, plus add a second one that we gave away, and buy all those batteries again 😭

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Early 80's, I remember staying at my in-laws (to be at that time) and everyone seem to know exactly when the electric would go out and for how long...lol

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Early 80's, I remember staying at my in-laws (to be at that time) and everyone seem to know exactly when the electric would go out and for how long...lol

Yes, Edesur posts the blackout times daily on their web page. I wonder how they publicized it back then??? I guess newspapers or radio.

We bought our land late 70s. By the time we built our house in 90s it was awful.

Reactions: keepcoming

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
When I first came (early 70s) electricity in SD was 24/7. I don’t remember when the rolling blackouts started but I don’t remember them when we stayed with in-laws in the 80s. Downhill to awful, then got amazingly better the past few years , so much so that everyone in the family got rid of their inverters when the batteries weakened, including us. Now we have to reinstall the last one we had, plus add a second one that we gave away, and buy all those batteries again 😭
In the 70s!! Impressive. Did you have a Sony super 8mm with you to film the adventures

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In the 70s!! Impressive. Did you have a Sony super 8mm with you to film the adventures

Ha, no, we did have a VHS video recorder. Those tapes are somewhere. I still have the camera out in the garage I think. Before we built the house, we actually pitched a tent and stayed there several times with the kids. A neighbor let us use their shower 😂

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Ha, no, we did have a VHS video recorder. Those tapes are somewhere. I still have the camera out in the garage I think. Before we built the house, we actually pitched a tent and stayed there several times with the kids. A neighbor let us use their shower 😂
I have a healthy fear of the creepy crawlers I wouldn't be able to sleep outdoors there!

IMG_0943.jpeg

drisforme

May 28, 2016
Not in the past 8 years . In the North coast ,more especially in the Encuentro area ,we lose electricity almost every day . Can be an hour , whole day ,week day ,weekend ,never know....Was not like these 8 years ago. In addition ,the service from Ed Norte went down. Use to have my invoice sent by email every month. I still have them until 2 years ago. Was getting 2 invoices for each month.First one was consumption only .Second consumption minus production from solar panel. Since then ,no email ,need to go to the agency in Sosua to prove them they are wrong with their estimation .Take video of my meter what they invoiced me are wrong month after month... Real nightmare . I can go on and go on. Ed Norte got definitively worse .Only way is to get inverter+solar panel and battery to be as much as possible independent of them as I did. Same with water . I have a well . On the good side ,road between Sosua and Cabarete is definitively better : Had plenty of holes and no lights . It`s the good side ,however with the gazillions of constructions projects ,traffic is already very heavy from time to time ,I cannot imagine how it`s going to be in the coming years especially in high seasons...

So, any improvement in infrastructure is really welcomed .Not sure how they are going to do it with the road . Difficult to make larger as it is .Don`t know if it`s really true ,but I feel from short visits that some other parts of the country (Punta Cana ,Miches,..) large road was done first to accommodate future growth when the North Coast is catching up on infrastructure projects..Not an easy task

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is long past the time when it should not be an issue at all. The reason it still is an issue are the EDEs. They must go.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not in the past 8 years . In the North coast ,more especially in the Encuentro area ,we lose electricity almost every day . Can be an hour , whole day ,week day ,weekend ,never know....Was not like these 8 years ago. In addition ,the service from Ed Norte went down. Use to have my invoice sent by email every month. I still have them until 2 years ago. Was getting 2 invoices for each month.First one was consumption only .Second consumption minus production from solar panel. Since then ,no email ,need to go to the agency in Sosua to prove them they are wrong with their estimation .Take video of my meter what they invoiced me are wrong month after month... Real nightmare . I can go on and go on. Ed Norte got definitively worse .Only way is to get inverter+solar panel and battery to be as much as possible independent of them as I did. Same with water . I have a well . On the good side ,road between Sosua and Cabarete is definitively better : Had plenty of holes and no lights . It`s the good side ,however with the gazillions of constructions projects ,traffic is already very heavy from time to time ,I cannot imagine how it`s going to be in the coming years especially in high seasons...

So, any improvement in infrastructure is really welcomed .Not sure how they are going to do it with the road . Difficult to make larger as it is .Don`t know if it`s really true ,but I feel from short visits that some other parts of the country (Punta Cana ,Miches,..) large road was done first to accommodate future growth when the North Coast is catching up on infrastructure projects..Not an easy task
I have far worse things to say about Edenorte. I am just a mile or two from you and we are more stable than ever, but that isn't saying much.

You are correct about how many more people there will be living on the north coast with all the new condos and homes being built with respect to increased traffic, less water and electricity problems potentially getting worse and worse. Some call it progress. I tell everyone to live in Punta Cana if they want to move to the DR - let that become Fort Lauderdal south.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011

Clearly as the country grew the need grew for better roads, electricity, water, etc.. I agree that the different areas of the DR are at different stages, some better than others. Maybe it is just me, but I never stressed over the electrical situation. Is it great, no, does it need improvement, yes. But I just accept it as it is, it is part of what living in the DR is. I still say it has come a long way since I began coming in the 80's.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Clearly as the country grew the need grew for better roads, electricity, water, etc.. I agree that the different areas of the DR are at different stages, some better than others. Maybe it is just me, but I never stressed over the electrical situation. Is it great, no, does it need improvement, yes. But I just accept it as it is, it is part of what living in the DR is. I still say it has come a long way since I began coming in the 80's.
Location, location, location...

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I was lucky because for many years I had a generator as part of my compensation package and a maintenance person to manage it.

Back in the early days, it was common for us imported management types to sell life here to stateside management as incredibly difficult and a sacrifice deserving of all kinds of amenities you would never get back home.

Higher salary, paid rent in a secure area, 24/7 power, live in maid/cook,Car/driver- all expenses paid were some of the most common.
I would probably not made it past forklift driver back home, but here.. different story indeed.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I was lucky because for many years I had a generator as part of my compensation package and a maintenance person to manage it.

Back in the early days, it was common for us imported management types to sell life here to stateside management as incredibly difficult and a sacrifice deserving of all kinds of amenities you would never get back home.

Higher salary, paid rent in a secure area, 24/7 power, live in maid/cook,Car/driver- all expenses paid were some of the most common.
I would probably not made it past forklift driver back home, but here.. different story indeed.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

Reactions: JD Jones

drisforme

May 28, 2016
Well , the post is about "President Abinader stresses the importance of infrastructure investments" which I believe electricity is a part of it and commented on your post mentioning electricity improvement without quantifying from when for people who don`t know you personally. I am also part of the lucky one to have solar panel ,inverter and battery so I am not really affected except the degradation in their service related to invoices .

In other words , I maintain what I am saying ,the situation has being getting worse and not better with Ed Norte for the past 8 years where I live. I also believe you ,it`s better since the 80`s

Peace.