Short DR Vaca. Where To Go?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
My aunt is sending me money to take a little vacation for my birthday. I have not been on any type of vacation since she came to visit me about 10 years ago. I've probably been out of the city about 3 times. Anyhow, she says the dogs and I have to go someplace with this money.

This is what is needed:
I have 2 large dogs that need to go with me.
I want WiFi and cable tv. A fridge is a must. Air Conditioner would be nice.
It needs to be within an hours drive from Santo Domingo because taxi fare would be too much otherwise.
I prefer a quiet place, maybe near a river, but a small place where the dogs and I can sit outside without problems. Where we can walk around.
Nothing fancy. A small cabin type place would be perfect.
Can't pay more than US$60 a day.
A place in a country setting would be perfect where the dogs can sniff around and a river or beach where I can get wet and the dogs could swim if I can get them used to the water.
It will be mid October weekdays, Monday to Friday (will stay 3 to 4 nights if price is in my budget). Not the weekend.

Any ideas?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Plenty of places in Jarabacoa match you criteria however it would take more than an hour to get up there.
May be do 2 to 3 nights instead of 3 to 4?

Reactions: Jan

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Plenty of places in Jarabacoa match you criteria however it would take more than an hour to get up there.
May be do 2 to 3 nights instead of 3 to 4?
I was thinking about Jarabacoa. Would love it. I asked my taxi about a month ago about him taking me and picking me up a few days later to Palenque, the hotel there. He said us$100. So just going on that. Don't want to pay more than $100 for taxi.

Also, want to do at least 3 nights because that will give us 2 whole days at the place.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I was thinking about Jarabacoa. Would love it. I asked my taxi about a month ago about him taking me and picking me up a few days later to Palenque, the hotel there. He said us$100. So just going on that. Don't want to pay more than $100 for taxi.

Also, want to do at least 3 nights because that will give us 2 whole days at the place.

Morning Jan. I would double-check with your driver that fare, it sounds super cheap to me. I have booked drivers for years and I would expect to pay US$100 one-way to Jarabacao (it's about 3 hours if they don't drive like maniacs). For US$ 50 from Santo Domingo one-way, I would get as far as Juan Dolio to the east or San Cristobal to the west.

As price is a key consideration, can I suggest that you look on AirBnB and set a price filter, and maybe start in an area like San Cristobal which wouldn't cost a lot to get to, see what's around. Monte Plata has some beautiful scenery and it's also within an hour's drive. Should be cheap but I'm not sure how much short-term rental stock there is up there.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I like the idea of Palenque. The times we have been there we have enjoyed it, although it has been a bit. Maybe finding a place in Juan Dolio? Not a countryside setting but it is on the water and not far from Santo Domingo.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Morning Jan. I would double-check with your driver that fare, it sounds super cheap to me. I have booked drivers for years and I would expect to pay US$100 one-way to Jarabacao (it's about 3 hours if they don't drive like maniacs). For US$ 50 from Santo Domingo one-way, I would get as far as Juan Dolio to the east or San Cristobal to the west.

As price is a key consideration, can I suggest that you look on AirBnB and set a price filter, and maybe start in an area like San Cristobal which wouldn't cost a lot to get to, see what's around. Monte Plata has some beautiful scenery and it's also within an hour's drive. Should be cheap but I'm not sure how much short-term rental stock there is up there.
$100 was to Palenque Beach.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I like the idea of Palenque. The times we have been there we have enjoyed it, although it has been a bit. Maybe finding a place in Juan Dolio? Not a countryside setting but it is on the water and not far from Santo Domingo.

There are some beautiful Airbnb condos at Coconut Paradise in Palenque. Nice grounds, private beach. I think the problem she may find in many places is the two large dogs.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
IMG_20240923_172459.jpg
There are some beautiful Airbnb condos at Coconut Paradise in Palenque. Nice grounds, private beach. I think the problem she may find in many places is the two large dogs.
My kids.

Reactions: AlterEgo

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
My dog and I stayed in Guyacanes many years ago. It was good but checked on the same place and it is a bit beyond my means. But will check the area a little more

Reactions: keepcoming