Soft drinks protest new taxes on sugared drinks

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Refrescos-Diario-Libre-1024x567.png

The Association of Non-Alcoholic Beverages Industries (Asibenas) protests the announcement they will be taxed. The Asosiben argues that they make up a good percentage of the sales of around 80,000 colmados all around the country. They are concerned the new tax would increase product prices 25 to 50%, reducing sales, as reported in Diario Libre.

This is the second bad news for the non-alcoholic sugared-beverages industry. Earlier in the year, the government banned the sale of soft drinks and sugary drinks in school cafeterias, attending to health and nutrition recommendations from the FAO.

Read more in Spanish:Diario Libre

9 October 2024

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This one i love !!!! This criminals even make mini sized bottles to hook up Kids to their Soda from age 3 and up. The cost on Society for all this fat and sick people must be in the billions. I vote for a 100% Tax on this liquid garbage.
You will live a longer and better life if you never drink this crap. Other ways to quench your thirst. Club Soda works pretty good...........Or just plain water........

Reactions: Manuel01

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
You will live a longer and better life if you never drink this crap. Other ways to quench your thirst. Club Soda works pretty good...........Or just plain water........
Definitely. With Coke for example, when the gas wears off and you try to drink it, you really feel the sugar and the c**p you're drinking... That's, I think, why nobody can tolerate coke or other soft drinks without the bubbles even though the drink itself remains the same...

I did not realize though that these were offered in schools in the DR, glad that they are banned.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Definitely. With Coke for example, when the gas wears off and you try to drink it, you really feel the sugar and the c**p you're drinking... That's, I think, why nobody can tolerate coke or other soft drinks without the bubbles even though the drink itself remains the same...

I did not realize though that these were offered in schools in the DR, glad that they are banned.
Soft Drinks

One 355 ml can of Coca- Cola contains 39 grams of sugar (10 teaspoons). If you think a clear soft drink might be better, remember that a 355 ml can of Mountain Dew contains even more sugar – 47 grams, or over 11 teaspoons

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Wow.
This one's turning into a real shit storm quicker than I thought it would. Dominican women are getting fat and sodas definitely play a role so I see it as a good thing.

• Haha
Reactions: chicagoan14

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Sugar drinks? Tax the living daylights out of them. Use the proceeds to fund clinics.

I'd be happy to pay a stiff price for my yearly Root Beer Float.

• Haha
Reactions: drstock