Carry Passport or Passport Copy

jose949

Oct 29, 2016
Given the round ups going on and some police officers being overly zealous in enforcement. What is the recommended action for visitors who are venturing outside core tourist areas? Should one carry the actual passport at risk of loss/robbery or does a photo of the passport and relevant pages work?
Can one still be rounded up/detained while having a photo copy or photo of the passport complete with entry details? If so, how does one get out of such a situation where copies of documents are not accepted besides having to pay to solve the problem? Can non-migracion officers ie PN stop vehicles based solely on the drivers appearance for the sole purpose of checking documents and detaining one because they do not accept copies or foreign driver's licenses?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Given the round ups going on and some police officers being overly zealous in enforcement. What is the recommended action for visitors who are venturing outside core tourist areas? Should one carry the actual passport at risk of loss/robbery or does a photo of the passport and relevant pages work?
Can one still be rounded up/detained while having a photo copy or photo of the passport complete with entry details? If so, how does one get out of such a situation where copies of documents are not accepted besides having to pay to solve the problem? Can non-migracion officers ie PN stop vehicles based solely on the drivers appearance for the sole purpose of checking documents and detaining one because they do not accept copies or foreign driver's licenses?
I will just tell you what I do. I have a copy of it on my phone. Never ever been asked for it in >6 years. I will bring it for hotel check in but outside of that it stays at the house.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Unless they think you are a Haitian no one will bother you...................

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Don't you have a Mini passport card? If you have one of those just carry that.

Reactions: jose949

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
I have a copy on my phone, and keep a paper copy in my cheap wallet along with my license. I was in the general vicinity of a minor dust up once, but they let me walk away immediately once they heard my accent. Or was it my gray hair? LOL

Reactions: jose949

jose949

Oct 29, 2016
Don't you have a Mini passport card? If you have one of those just carry that.
This is much more convenient that is when I remember to carry it during travel.

Thanks all for the responses. It seems that common sense prevails at least when there is a copy presented.

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
For those that may not know, the US passport card is not valid for international air travel. That said, if a person has one, carrying it while visiting then DR is a good option. Having a copy on your phone of your passport photo page is good too, and I'd suggest if you are really concerned, a photo of your entry stamp would be good too

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Make a copy of your passport front and back then scale it down to the size of a driver's license
and have it laminated. Keep it in your wallet or purse.
I have been carrying one in my wallet since 2006.
Have shown it to immigration in the street and police officers from Hong Kong, PRC to Santiago, DR.
and not once have I ever had a problem when doing so.

Reactions: Meemselle

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
NEVER carry your passport with you. Carry only a the copy you have had made & laminated to the size of your license. If for some unknown reason (like you're being arrested or something) and your full passport is needed, you will have time to get it. Losing your passport, especially living outside of your home country, is not something you want to experience, trust me.

One exception: when withdrawing money from my American bank, the tellers have to see the full passport. I've tried to use the card copy and it just doesn't fly.

Reactions: JLSawmam

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
To be clear, I have a US issued passport the size of a CC, not a copy of my passport sized down.

That's what I was referring to.

JLSawman is correct in stating it can't be used for international traveling because they have to stamp it.

Jan 9, 2004
To be clear, I have a US issued passport the size of a CC, not a copy of my passport sized down.

That's what I was referring to.

JLSawman is correct in stating it can't be used for international traveling because they have to stamp it.
You have a passport card.

Unlike a copy of your passport, it is a legally accepted identification document......and it can be used for international travel by land/sea to select countries.....but not by air to any country.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones

North Coaster

May 6, 2016
NEVER carry your passport with you. Carry only a the copy you have had made & laminated to the size of your license. If for some unknown reason (like you're being arrested or something) and your full passport is needed, you will have time to get it. Losing your passport, especially living outside of your home country, is not something you want to experience, trust me.

One exception: when withdrawing money from my American bank, the tellers have to see the full passport. I've tried to use the card copy and it just doesn't fly.
Totally agree never carry your passport unless as Meemselle says (necessary for a bank teller transaction), I never have and up until this week never had a problem. I went into Viva to get a new chip for my cellphone and the Representative would not accept my card at first wanting my full passport. It took a few minutes of convincing to get them to accept my lamented licence size passport copy. Basically explained that I was already in their system, my chip had expired, and that I was not going to come back if they did not accept the bonefide copy.

BTW its the 2nd time being in the Puerto Plata Viva office, both times I have been the only customer, I kind of felt that they would not let walk. lol

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I have never heard of anyone carrying their passport. I carry cash and credit cards in a clip