16 people injured in accident in Bonao area

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Accidente-en-Bonao-Diario-Libre-1024x519.png

A five-vehicle accident resulted in 16 persons being injured, two hospitalized, and several vehicles severely damaged. A freight trucker, a bus and several vehicles collided in the sector El Setenta y Siete, of Monseñor Nouel (Bonao).

Diario Libre reported that two ambulances, a Police unit, a Ground Transport Agency (Digesett) unit, a firefighter unit from Bonao and another firefighting unit of the Ministry of Public Works were sent to scene of the accident.

Read more in Spanish:Diario Libre

3 October 2024

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I notice that the truck in the picture is one of those double trailer vehicles. I have always thought that they are much too large and dangerous for the roads and driving here. I see many more of them here than in Europe, where the conditions are much better.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I notice that the truck in the picture is one of those double trailer vehicles. I have always thought that they are much too large and dangerous for the roads and driving here. I see many more of them here than in Europe, where the conditions are much better.
The road conditions are indeed better, but only only that, the vehicles are controlled frequently and not overweight in the EU...

As a side note, unless I'm mistaken, it's not that often that you hear of an accident of this magnitude on Duarte. This has always given me a bit of piece of mind as that's the one autopista we most use in the DR... So I have always considered that to be a relatively safe one (compared to others in the DR...)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The road conditions are indeed better, but only only that, the vehicles are controlled frequently and not overweight in the EU...

As a side note, unless I'm mistaken, it's not that often that you hear of an accident of this magnitude on Duarte. This has always given me a bit of piece of mind as that's the one autopista we most use in the DR... So I have always considered that to be a relatively safe one (compared to others in the DR...)
You're mistaken. There's so many that they only report the really bad ones.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011

Disagree 100%. I dislike driving the Duarte for this reason, too many accidents, drivers not paying attention, speeding cars, etc...

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
The last time I drove up north, one of the double trailer guys passed me and I was going 110 km per hour.
I honestly cannot remember a time when driving on the Duarte that there was not an accident. I drove/drive it a lot since it is how we get to my SIL house in the campo (calls it her weekend house). Take it all the way to Piedra Blanca then turn off and take the back roads to her house.

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
Duarte is the highway I avoid whenever possible, reminds me of driving on a Hungarian autobahn with way worse drivers. Not sure why that popped into my head but that too was scary, driving out of Budapest. Anyway Duarte too crowded when I’ve been on it, crazy drivers, too many trucks, and in the rain it's a nail biter.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I honestly cannot remember a time when driving on the Duarte that there was not an accident. I drove/drive it a lot since it is how we get to my SIL house in the campo (calls it her weekend house). Take it all the way to Piedra Blanca then turn off and take the back roads to her house.
And even worse is driving it at night...............

Reactions: drstock

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
When the phrase "Speed kills" was invented, it was with the DR in mind.

Reactions: Notengo