85-year old wins RD$149 million in the lottery

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Hermogenes-de-la-Cruz-e1649677092903.png

85-year old Hermogenes de la Cruz Martinez who just won RD$149.6 million in the lottery had gambled more than RD$700,000 over 15 years. As reported in Diario Libre, he methodically played the same numbers for around 15 years before cashing in. He played the same six winning numbers every Wednesday and Saturday. He is retired. He previously had a rice factory in San Juan de la Maguana.

Diario Libre did the math. Each Loto tickets costs RD$30. If you add the Loto Mas number, then it is RD$50. In each sorteo, De la Cruz Martinez would make 10 plays with the same numbers just changing the combination for the Loto Mas. This added up to RD$500 each day. Or around RD$4,000 a month, RD$48,000 a year. When multiplying those RD$48,000 by 15 years, one could say De la Cruz Martinez had spent around RD$720,000 before winning.

De la Cruz Martinez played the winning number at the...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
IMHO, Playing the same #s for years is the only way to possibly win.. It improves your Odds exponentially. Although Mathematicians might disagree, we all know someone personally who played the SAME # s every single week and eventually HIT at least 5 out of 6 .. I know one guy who hit like 2.5 Mil back in the day , doing exactly this . and numerous people who got 5 out of 6 .. but thats chump change usually at like $2,000 US

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You gotta play to win!!!!
I remember reading the news back in 2016 about a fella who was complaining about constantly being harrassed by the PN for money after he hit a big jackpot.
Hopefully this fella doesn't get harrassed the same way

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Blue Collar Town in New Jersey
not to go off Topic ( sincerely not trying to do that ) .. but wasnt there a story in Florida of a guy who hit like 6 mil, and his GF literally had him killed for it ,
She got convicted as I recall .
This dude is 85 , where is he gonna go ? .. I fear for his Safety ..
Hope he gets to enjoy it .

Luz del mundo

Banned
Apr 4, 2022
Dominican Republic
Does he collect it at his local Loteka lol ?
Interesting how ieven in the D.R ts always the over 70 crowd that hits these bonanzas ...Oh well , someone lucky lambon relative is getting treated to some chivo sancocho and Brugals finest this Seman Santa .

Reactions: jd426

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Does he collect it at his local Loteka lol ?
Interesting how ieven in the D.R ts always the over 70 crowd that hits these bonanzas ...Oh well , someone lucky lambon relative is getting treated to some chivo sancocho and Brugals finest this Seman Santa .

Lambon. I love that word.

Bluenoser

Feb 26, 2019
About 30 years ago there was a guy in my area who won a multi-million $ lotto prize. His story was in all the news media for a week.
A year later, a reporter who had cover the original story contacted him for a follow-up piece.
To the reporter's surprize, he found the guy was flat broke.
When asked how this could possibly happen, the lotto winner replied, "I spent a lot on booze, a great deal on women, and the rest, I wasted".

Luz del mundo

Banned
Apr 4, 2022
Dominican Republic
About 30 years ago there was a guy in my area who won a multi-million $ lotto prize. His story was in all the news media for a week.
A year later, a reporter who had cover the original story contacted him for a follow-up piece.
When asked how this could possibly happen, the lotto winner replied, "I spent a lot on booze, a great deal on women, and the rest, I wasted".
Haha I love that quote . I thought Winston Churchill coined it but maybe he stole it.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
An old W
An old WC Fields joke.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
He lives in Naco (rich neighborhood) and previously owned a factory, so he was probably well-off to begin with. Which is why he could afford to throw 13k USD into the lottery.

I'm happy for him but at 85, he doesn't have much time left to live and he is probably frail, so he needs to be careful about he is surrounded with because some people are just evil and could take advantage of his old age.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
not to go off Topic ( sincerely not trying to do that ) .. but wasnt there a story in Florida of a guy who hit like 6 mil, and his GF literally had him killed for it ,
She got convicted as I recall .
This dude is 85 , where is he gonna go ? .. I fear for his Safety ..
Hope he gets to enjoy it .

I think you're referring to this guy:

It wasn't his girlfriend, it was a female scammer who initially approached him to supposedly write a book about his lottery winning, then convinced him to transfer his assets under her company's ownership.

Unfortunately he wasn't financially literate so he just trusted her without doing due diligence.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
How much tax does a Dominican have to pay on that?
Up to 25% on wins over 1 million pesos. That’s a big chunk. Our lottery wins are tax free in Canada. The profits get turned back into the communities, sports programmes, etc. Big wins in the US are taxed and some choose to get paid over time to reduce taxes. Doesn’t seen fair to me to hook a big one then lose a large chunk in what’s basically a government clawback.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok