A real tearjerker

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Note that one and two are off topic for this forum so let's not continue

1. the new Biden plan is 30,000 a month from the 4 countries (Cuba, Nicaragua, Haiti, Venezuela) - since our unemployment is so low - there are Help Wanted Signs Everywhere.... I don't have a MacroEconomic view of the country but know that most of our agriculture needs workers so I would have to say that it is really "above my pay grade"
2. The issues at the Southern Border - the back log- is caused by the refusal of Congress to upgrade the judiciary and personnel needed to process the people - there is something like a 5 year wait for processing.. (and most do show up for their hearings) The issue has become a political football
3. Journalism -https://www.ipsnews.net/2011/03/media-dominican-republic-a-bad-case-of-quid-pro-quo/
1. So long as they can speak/ understand some basic English and assimilate into society, I'm cool with that.
2. I am all for legal, fair, properly vetted immigrant in an orderly/ lawful manner.
Anything less in unacceptable regardless of how many help wanted signs are hanging in store windows.
3. You chose an interesting profession/ battle to engage in on a foreign soil. You seem like very kind hearted person so I hope your decision doesn't end up costing you your life some day.

(Mods) apologies for the off-topic post.
thank you for allowing us to have this brief discussion regarding immigration.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
1. So long as they can speak/ understand some basic English and assimilate into society, I'm cool with that.
2. I am all for legal, fair, properly vetted immigrant in an orderly/ lawful manner.
Anything less in unacceptable regardless of how many help wanted signs are hanging in store windows.
3. You chose an interesting profession/ battle to engage in on a foreign soil. You seem like very kind hearted person so I hope your decision doesn't end up costing you your life some day.

(Mods) apologies for the off-topic post.
thank you for allowing us to have this brief discussion regarding immigration.
Christo - I came to the DR in 2004 and left in 2016. I had done some writing for local papers before I came - along with lots of other jobs (like most Americans) - Since I spoke both French and Spanish (well - read and write them and spoke well enough to be understood and get an answer - I NEVER understood Dominicans when they spoke with one another!) and since I had lived in Haiti (truth be told I was only waiting for things to quite down (I know - hahaha - but we had a lot of hope back then) before I could move there. I had never been to the DR before I landed...My friends thought me insane.. I guess I was a bit,,, But I ended up having the MOST fulfilling career and making life long friends and - well - even perhaps doing some good... Thanks for the good wishes - I did get out with my life but it certainly took a toll on my health. And MANY journalists in Haiti (and the DR in the past) as well as around the world - have not been so lucky. I now live just south of W.Palm Beach.

Reactions: CristoRey