AirBNB Help

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
We have a friend who wants to come to Santo Domingo in June/July for 10 days. They are thinking of an AirBNB. They are looking for something nice, in a nice area, safe, etc... They have stayed at the Intercontinental Real, JW Marriott, Embassy Suites, etc... She is thinking an AirBNB would be better. Problem is I have no clue about AirBNB's in Santo Domingo, safety, conditions, etc... Anyone have recommendations? She looked at the website and saw a few but I have no clue to how accurate it may be. Open to your ideas....

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
We have a friend who wants to come to Santo Domingo in June/July for 10 days. They are thinking of an AirBNB. They are looking for something nice, in a nice area, safe, etc... They have stayed at the Intercontinental Real, JW Marriott, Embassy Suites, etc... She is thinking an AirBNB would be better. Problem is I have no clue about AirBNB's in Santo Domingo, safety, conditions, etc... Anyone have recommendations? She looked at the website and saw a few but I have no clue to how accurate it may be. Open to your ideas....

I have never booked with them in any bigger city in the DR, so cannot help specifically with that, but we have booked via Airbnb a few times in the DR, and my tips are:

Check the host communication rate and speed and how they communicate. Check reviews, check images. I would stay away from locations with really short description. I would not book anything where communication does not work really well nor a place that has zero or just a few reviews. If the host starts to bombard you with offers and discounts after initial communication, check again.

For safety and conditions, as those may be significant issues here, I would expect a decent description in the advertisement already. This has been always the case in the bookings we have made. And just my personal advise, I have never communicated with any host outside of Airbnb and I feel safe with that.

Reactions: keepcoming

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Airbnb is based on customer's reviews.
Hosts who have good listings consistent with their descriptions will have consistently good reviews, filter by "Superhost" to be on the safe side and make sure the most recent reviews were this year.
It s really not hard.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As someone who has been hosting renters through Airbnb from almost the start, I agree with josh2203's comments.

We have so many people who want to go outside the system, and have had a number of people over the past couple of years who should never leave their homes, but in general things work fairly well.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
My first few times in a city, I bounce around quite a bit from unit to unit. It gives you a lot of first hand info about the condo as well as the different areas of the city.

Reactions: keepcoming

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
It all depends on where she wants to be. When in the city I like to stay near the historic center. The airbnb site is pretty self
explanatory