Airfare costs main barrier to DR Tourism

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Tuifly, Brussel - Punta Cana, in april between 260 and 460 euro one way for a 9 hour flight....
That's however not the entire truth. You are talking about pricing in April, so almost last-minute deals (I just checked the websites for Tuifly and Condor). You can get similar pricing with many airlines. Condor FRA-POP has that same pricing, but only currently for March and April to get the planes full. If you need to plan any further ahead, the regular pricing comes into place and prices are something very different.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Correct, in my case the destination is always SDQ.
Extra cost:
-Transport from the Netherlands to Brussels (parking at airport/hotel)
-Overnight stay in PUJ (late arrival time)
-Be picked up (and returned to PUJ) from SDQ

Sometimes (before Covid) it pays to fly from Brussels, but in recent years (since SDQ is no longer included in the destinations) it has been more difficult.
Those extra costs is something I always need to factor in to check flying from where to where actually makes sense. Right now, flights FRA-PUJ are much cheaper than FRA-POP, but we have to then somehow get to POP and that is not cheap. For 4 people, back and forth on the road PUJ-FRA is a few hundred EUR, so flying directly to POP is actually much cheaper and less nerve-breaking...

Based on SkyScanner, there should be direct flights from Schiphol to PUJ, would those not work? Yes, then there would be the transit to SDQ by road, so that cost would need to be factored in.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
That's however not the entire truth. You are talking about pricing in April, so almost last-minute deals (I just checked the websites for Tuifly and Condor). You can get similar pricing with many airlines. Condor FRA-POP has that same pricing, but only currently for March and April to get the planes full. If you need to plan any further ahead, the regular pricing comes into place and prices are something very different.
jetair oktober.jpg
jetair sep.jpg

Here are screenshots of the prices for september and october.....

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Face it the Caribbean is a destination because it has warm waters and some nice beaches.
If it weren't for the weather and warmer water no one would come.
The beaches are becoming so polluted with seaweed the last time i was in Punta Cana you could not even swim.
Thank God there is sun - but I'm sure global Warming Alarmists will declare it so hot no one can go below 35 North in the near future

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Idd the airfare costs are high a lot of times. But a lot of people here on the north coast alwayhs think that pop airport is expensive (for taxes etc), but that is not the case.
In the article here (it is dutch but you can copy/past in google) a Belgian airline said they stopped flying on punta cana, because that airport has too high prices for fuel and taxes (in another article I read that punta cana has the highest taxes in the whole carribean, but I don't find that article now.

A few years and we will be stuck on the DR Mik.

Reactions: BelgianMik

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
You can find roundtrips to Brussels for around 700-800
That's true, (Iberia, British Airways) can be booked via Brussels, BRU-MAD, MAD-SDQ visa versa), but the costs of traveling to Brussels, car parking (3-4 weeks) make the total package just as expensive as flying from AMS. Looking back:
At Easter 2023 we flew for 450 Euro per person with KLM/COPA (AMS-PTY, PTY-SDQ visa versa). That has now more than doubled. There don't seem to be any more offers?

I think it's a shame that TUI no longer makes a stop at SDQ and that Air France has also removed the CDG-SDQ route from the schedule.

Ultimately, these are all luxurious problems if you look at the situation in the world...:unsure:

Reactions: Fulano2

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Thank God there is sun - but I'm sure global Warming Alarmists will declare it so hot no one can go below 35 North in the near future
and to that I say...
cow farts are not the problem, they are 😄😅😂

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
There are record tourists in the PC area and renting a long term condo for next year is almost impossible. We haven't seen any barriers for tourism. In fact it's busier than I have ever seen it.

Reactions: reilleyp

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
We're currently on the lookout of tickets for the summer and while prices in particular FRA-POP are expensive, nothing like that, where do you get the 1000 EUR?

PUJ is much cheaper from Europe, but I really really hate the roadtrip PUJ-POP... We've done that a few times out of obligation, but it's not fun...
Yes, apart from DR government trying to keep certain tourism out of Sosua, resulting in basically only the beach remaining as an attraction for me (at least for now), the main reason I have not been back is that for me here in NL, all flights are to Punta Cana.
I am not interested in staying in Punta Cana and don't relish arriving there at night, having to book a hotel and then take the hellish trip to Sosua the day after. And back again at the end of my vacation. It's just too much hassle.
I did indeed recenty see the option of flying to Frankfurt first and take a direct flight to POP from there. I am contemplating that option, but, as mentioned, ticket prices for that are ridiculous.
I miss the days where once I was able to buy a direct return flight to POP from BRU for only 250 euros and still had 3 seats to myself. Those days are long gone...