Audio news (an alternative learning method)

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I hardly ever read Diario Libre. However, last week I noticed the audio feature in their articles (most have the audio).

This is fantastic if you want to listen to the news, focus on the pronunciation of the words and test your listening comprehension. You can read and listen at the same time and pause it if you want focus on a particular phrase.

This is another (free) method that you can try if you are looking to improve your Spanish, test your comprehension and if you want to hear Spanish that’s more neutral.

I listen to news in Spanish on YouTube. I do it while I work or if I have some time to relax and listen with my AirPods.

I just listened to this article.

Advantages to listening to news in Spanish:

1) More neutral sounding Spanish

2) Slower pace (compared to local DR Spanish) if speed is a challenge for you

3) Standard words- no slang or colloquialisms (depending on the topic)

4) You can pause the article and go back to any section for better comprehension

5) Learn the pronunciation of words (if that is a problem for you)

6) Train your ear to hear the language in general. Always remember if you are in the DR or around Dominicans most of the time that is only one version of Spanish. You leave the DR and hear Spanish elsewhere and right away you notice the difference. This gives you an opportunity to compare spoken Spanish in other regions and countries.

This is just another way to learn, feel and enjoy this beautiful language.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Here is one article I listened to today. Certain words and phases are bolded in the article.

Test your knowledge and ask yourself if you know the meaning of the words, have you heard it used, maybe add it to your vocabulary etc.

Free language learning.

I don’t think I would want to witness anyone being lynched although it’s still common in countries around the globe.

* Pardon the typo in the article- madrugada is missing the last a.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It also can be slowed down using the speed bar. I like it at 50% of the normal rate for an even clearer understanding of the words.

Reactions: Marianopolita

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
It also can be slowed down using the speed bar. I like it at 50% of the normal rate for an even clearer understanding of the words.

I just tried it. Thanks for pointing that out 👍

By slowing it down it becomes Noticias lentas en español…. Slow news in Spanish. As well, if you put that heading in Google search many sites come up if you want to listen to
slow news in Spanish and podcasts as well.

Don’t be discouraged by the fast local speech because there is a whole different world out there in Spanish. You just need to explore and be creative while you learn the language.

Reactions: johne

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I do the same for Lockwards video's. Much easier to understand.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I just tried it. Thanks for pointing that out 👍

By slowing it down it becomes Noticias lentas en español…. Slow news in Spanish. As well, if you put that heading in Google search many sites come up if you want to listen to
slow news in Spanish and podcasts as well.

Don’t be discouraged by the fast local speech because there is a whole different world out there in Spanish. You just need to explore and be creative while you learn the language.
There are dozens of "PODCASTS" that work. Just be careful that you don't sign up for a trail period and then auto billing. Not necessary as there on lots for free.

Reactions: Marianopolita

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
in Flagranti, Antwerp 1607
In flagrante delicto (Latin for "in blazing offence") or sometimes simply in flagrante ("in blazing") is a legal term used to indicate that a criminal has been caught in the act of committing an offence (compare corpus delicti). The colloquial "caught red-handed" and "caught rapid" are English equivalents.[1][2]

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
There are dozens of "PODCASTS" that work. Just be careful that you don't sign up for a trail period and then auto billing. Not necessary as there on lots for free.

No, I have never signed up and if there is a trial period when it’s over I am gone.

I prefer to watch the news on TV still. I listen and work. Multitasking. On YouTube as well I have a source that I enjoy.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
For me, it was a great language exercise. I didn't understand all of it but did get the gist of it.

Question on infraganti. How do you get red-handed out of it? There's no rojo and there's no mano. I would never have figured this out.

Infraganti, from Latin.

It’s used in English as well at least I hear it all the time.

Caught infraganti…..in the act.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
For me, it was a great language exercise. I didn't understand all of it but did get the gist of it.

Question on infraganti. How do you get red-handed out of it? There's no rojo and there's no mano. I would never have figured this out.

Buenos días 🙂

I just thought of a more common expression:

agarrar a alguien con las manos en la masa

That is the everyday expression which means To catch somebody red-handed

Infraganti
you see it more in writing and I always associate it with a crime.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I just read this article published yesterday and what great timing since we had a good discussion in the Test your Spanish thread about language.

In this article, the discussion is about respecting the normas of the language 🤦‍♀️

It’s common in the Spanish-speaking world to hear shortened forms. However, it’s necessary to observe and understand how these words change or don’t follow the rules of grammar. In other words, speakers make instinctive adjustments so that the words follow the phonetic pattens of the language. This has been happening for a long time because language evolves. It’s not static but is there a line with short forms and creations? I think that is a key question.

Common short forms that I hear often are:

finde= fin de semana
boli= bolígrafo
profe= profesor/ profesora
peli= película
porfa= por favor
uni= universidad
foto= fotografía - Don’t forget these forms retain their original gender meaning you say esta foto and not este foto 👍
bici= bicicleta

Now knowing how Caribbean Spanish is this should be a no brainer but the difference in my examples is that these are universal short forms in Spanish and they are not limited to one country or region.